Chest Injury

Invisible_Jong

Chest Injury

Post by Invisible_Jong »

So three days ago, due to my poor judgement (I will post what happened in another forum, as I do want some advice regarding to that) I ended up slamming on the road and I got thrown off my bike and I landed on the ground. While I got a few burns on my hand, my chest suffered a blow by landing on the ground. When I went back home and check my injury, I noticed a bruise on my chest, and checking online, I probably bruised my ribs, and here is the symptoms.

I can breath without problem, coughing and sneezing doesn't trigger any pain, if I breath deeply (really deeply) or if I twist or stretch my torso, I would feel pain, though the pain is pretty light and manageable.

Regardless, my daily life isn't really affected, though I didn't cycle since then. For now, I decide to steer clear from cycling and wait for a week or two and see whether my chest heals before I go for medical advice. But may I ask, for people who had a similar accident and injury before, how long does it take for you to heal and get back on the bike?

Also, this isn't really relevant but I want to ask, I myself go to the gym for workout (not heavy, I do light workouts such as cardio and arms and stuff) and I know I probably can't do exercises involving my chest until it heals, but can I still do running or light weightlifting as such before it heals?

Thanks
meic

Re: Chest Injury

Post by meic »

I would be inclined to ask how old you are.
In my twenties I would have been straight back in the thick of things, even with extensive deep bruising. No pain, No gain.
In my fifties I dont bounce so well.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

First of all, don't depend upon an internet forum for medical advice. If you are worried see your GP.

That said, I either broke a rib, or tore some connecting tissue between my ribs a few years ago, and what my GP said about it was to listen to my body. He suggested avoiding exercise that would be jarring, such as running, or use the abdominal muscles much, like golf. He said most low impact exercise would be okay, as long as it didn't give me pain. Cycling, swimming, and light weight lifting, he thought were okay, but told me not to lift heavy weights. He also recommended avoiding positions in movement exercise (e.g. yoga, pilates) that stretched the abdomin, or gave me pain.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

If you are worried see your GP.

Though you will probably be either fully cured or dead before the appointment day arrives.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:
If you are worried see your GP.

Though you will probably be either fully cured or dead before the appointment day arrives.

Depends where in the country.

Anyway, dear Invisible_Jong, I'd not delay with a chest injury serious enough to make one avoid cycling, I'd call 111 (non-emergency NHS) or go see a pharmacist. They'll normally tell you whether to go to a GP or sometimes A&E.

I've bruised my ribs far too often in far too many ways. I never stopped cycling because of it, but sometimes the pain breathing did limit how fast I went. I would probably use it as a reason to avoid the gym or running or lifting weights, but I never need much reason to avoid those things ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Invisible_Jong

Post by Invisible_Jong »

Vorpal wrote:First of all, don't depend upon an internet forum for medical advice. If you are worried see your GP.

That said, I either broke a rib, or tore some connecting tissue between my ribs a few years ago, and what my GP said about it was to listen to my body. He suggested avoiding exercise that would be jarring, such as running, or use the abdominal muscles much, like golf. He said most low impact exercise would be okay, as long as it didn't give me pain. Cycling, swimming, and light weight lifting, he thought were okay, but told me not to lift heavy weights. He also recommended avoiding positions in movement exercise (e.g. yoga, pilates) that stretched the abdomin, or gave me pain.

Well, I am not really asking for medical advice, I just wanted to know how long does it usually takes for the rib to heal and before I can get back to working out and training my muscles, but thanks anyway, I will probably still go to the gym and do some low impact exercises to keep myself fit during this time I have to rest my body. I will definitely take note and avoid jarring exercise.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi

Last time I severely strained/bruised/broke(?) ribs it took weeks for the hurt to gradually subside.

Cheers

Bob
geomannie
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Invisible_Jong wrote:
Vorpal wrote:First of all, don't depend upon an internet forum for medical advice. If you are worried see your GP.

Well, I am not really asking for medical advice, I just wanted to know how long does it usually takes for the rib to heal and before I can get back to working out and training my muscles, but thanks anyway, I will probably still go to the gym and do some low impact exercises to keep myself fit during this time I have to rest my body. I will definitely take note and avoid jarring exercise.

It seems to me that you are contradicting yourself.
Richard M
Cardiff
pwa

Post by pwa »

The only injury similar to this that I have sustained is what I self-diagnosed as a cracked rib, which left me in pain when I twisted my torso or raised my arms, and left me unable to lie down without pain. I had to sleep sitting. The symptoms lasted about a month to six weeks, during which I avoided anything that might exacerbate the problem. And that included any lifting, pushing or pulling with the arms.

If you decide to live with it and let it heal itself, be ready to go and seek advice if new symptoms emerge, or if existing symptoms do not go away.
Last edited by pwa on 10 Oct 2018, 3:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

TBH it almost doesn't sound serious enough to worry about. You say it is hardly impacting on your daily life? After an accident I had, x-ray did not reveal any cracked or broken ribs but, Oh Boy were they bloody sore. I was walking like an old woman (apologies to old women). I was walking at 1-2mh hunched up and protective of the area. ANY breathing hurt and I was extremely breathless using only the upper part of my lungs as I could not properly expand my lungs due to the severe pain.

So you can understand when I read your post that I thought 'what's the problem' I would carry on as normal within some of the discomfort you described. Continued exercise is good for bruising it increases blood flow and helps with the healing process. But if you are concerned get it checked out.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells