Having the last Laugh

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Having the last Laugh

Post by al_yrpal »

The enormous value of 'Art' is in the minds of the few, its just like the value of gold, its rare. I and a few friends sell our paintings, it always amuses me that many people dont seem to care about an image and what it says but are more interested in whether it will increase in value.

It does keep people employed in galleries and auction rooms, they can all get on with it. Banksy is often clever and his commentary is brilliant, I love that he is taking the micturate :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

yes, but Banksy is sill an over hyped Cock :D
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

cyclemad wrote:yes, but Banksy is sill an over hyped Cock :D

And monet wasn't? Van Gogh? Picasso? Don't you think they're over hyped too? Or do you think the huge record sales prices they get at auctions are good value?
meic

Post by meic »

It is the perfect victimless crime isnt it?

I dont mean shredding the picture but taking millions of pounds off the wealthy in exchange for almost nothing but a famous name on a "canvas".
It all falls down when public bodies spend public money on it though. :(
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

I still miss the Old Street mural. Another sin of TfL.

cyclemad wrote:He / She really is a proper cock .

I think you mean Wanksy.

mercalia wrote:The big mistake Bansky made was not to use paint that faded very quickly to leave a blank canvass?

It was reportedly a 2006 framed copy, so 12 years wouldn't be very quick.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:I still miss the Old Street mural. Another sin of TfL.

I think you mean Wanksy.

mercalia wrote:The big mistake Bansky made was not to use paint that faded very quickly to leave a blank canvass?

hmm I am surprised the internal battery was still good, maybe why the shredder didnt complete the job?

I wonder if Banksy has broken a criminal damage law since he destroyed some ones property (unless he was the seller?)
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:I still miss the Old Street mural. Another sin of TfL.

I think you mean Wanksy.

hmm I am surprised the internal battery was still good, maybe why the shredder didnt complete the job?

I wonder if Banksy has broken a criminal damage law since he destroyed some ones property (unless he was the seller?)

The picture may have been made in 2006 but that doesn't necessarily mean the frame was. The picture could easily have been put in that frame quite recently.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

Graham wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling that this "shredding event" was a completely staged piece of theatre, with the main participants fully aware ?

Yes, I think completely staged. Doesn't anyone think the auctioneers look closely at items they're selling? How does anyone think they checked it's provenance without taking it out of the frame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like the sale is going thru, the lady who bought it has decided to keep it

now called "Love is in the Bin"

( Banksy, you cant win against the "art world" -if naked ladies smothered in jam is art any thing goes :roll: )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45829853

if you are in London over the week end you can go and see it -

Love is in the Bin will be put on display to the public at Sotheby's New Bond Street galleries over the weekend.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

PH wrote:
Graham wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling that this "shredding event" was a completely staged piece of theatre, with the main participants fully aware ?

Yes, I think completely staged. Doesn't anyone think the auctioneers look closely at items they're selling? How does anyone think they checked it's provenance without taking it out of the frame?

Looks to me like it is two frames, one built onto the other. I can hardly think that people could see that and not smell a rat. It's just another gimmick.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

oh dear oh dear
Banksy 1, Art World 100, You lose Bansky. The "Arte Worlde" has Spoken

"This is what I think about Love is in the Bin. It will come to be seen as one of the most significant artworks of the early 21st Century.

It is not a great painting that can be compared to a late Rembrandt, or a sculpture to sit alongside Michelangelo's David, but in terms of conceptual art emanating from Duchamp's Dadaist sensibility, it is exceptional.

It was brilliant in both conception and execution. Take its initial creation, which was a stunning piece of site-specific, mechanically-aided, performance art: An attention-grabbing spectacle taking place within an attention-grabbing spectacle, which highlighted through dark satire how art has become an investment commodity to be auctioned off to ultra-wealthy trophy-hunters. "

Love is in the Bin - subtitle "why I dont want to be an artiste" or how to turn Nothing into Something

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45818204
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that's a very thoughtful article by Gompertz.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that's a very thoughtful article by Gompertz.

not really as he is part of the problem pretending to be outside of it all. really he thinks he is better than those other people buying the stuff. He has a very superior air about him? Think of any other disciplin where that sort of nonsense wouldbe taken seriously and part of the game? Only "Art" has no clear distinction between what is art and what isnt - would a creatrionist get much of a look in discussing the origins of the universe and black holes i dont think so. What Banksy did was just a jape no more no less , just as any one would play against any pompous person, like putting a bucket of water over a door to drench a teacher: would that be theregfore a part of a physics lesson on gravity? Art since the start of C20 has been bedevilled by not understanding this and allowed nobodies an audience with "works" like the unmade bed by whats-her-name.
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Oct 2018, 11:12am, edited 2 times in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I said think that it was a very thoughtful article. It made me think. What part wasn't thoughtful, or are you answering a different question of your own?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:I said think that it was a very thoughtful article. It made me think. What part wasn't thoughtful, or are you answering a different question of your own?

maybe you should have said thought provoking?