Simmondsohn Tandems - Opinions Appreciated...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: Simmondsohn Tandems - Opinions Appreciated...

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How heavy are the two/three riders?

Used tandems are offered on these fora, try searching for opinions about quality
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Don't know anything about them but it looks pretty ok for the cash. Not bad for a starter as you will soon know if it was a good idea or not. The old ads page of the CTC Mag used to be full of tandems '50miles only' etc., aka wife / gf doesn't like it so now have to get rid...... :lol:
A cheap foray into to trying it to see if it suits you doesn't seem such a bad idea. You can upgrade as you go along.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

You can sometimes pick up bargains on the tandem club site: https://tandem-club.org.uk/forSale

However most of these you'd have to collect locally which can be quite a faff.
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Post by SpaceCaptainTheodore »

Thanks again. I had looked at the posted tandems but, with travel and transport it wasn't a practical option in our current circumstances.

I did plump for the tandem in the OP - we'll see where that goes!
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Good luck with your tandem. Have a look at Eden Valley Cycling U.K. website, there are at least two tandem couples that are members, might be able to help things go better. The Tandem Club in Cumbria lost their main man in a traffic accident more than ten years ago - a friend sorely missed! Hubs for screw on drag brakes are like hens teeth. I imported my last one from U.S.A. with the help of my son who lives in Seattle. A lot of tandems now use discs instead of Arai drums, which used to be the gold standard. Have fun, enjoy! :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have some White Industries M16 tandem hubs in 40H

M16 hubs, shiny shiny

tandem specific rear hub, with ISO tandem-compatible disc fittings

and these can be built onto Sputnik rims (all new unused parts). Hubs use standard type QR fittings (10mm rear, 9mm front axle stubs) have a 6-bolt disc fitting and are 145mm rear OLN, with steel shimano compatible 8/9/10s freehub body. Resultant wheels can be use with rim brakes or with disc brakes as required.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

How much would you charge for 10 mins stroking and twiddling your hubs Brucey?

Pron of the highest order.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:How much would you charge for 10 mins stroking and twiddling your hubs Brucey?

Pron of the highest order.

Ooh! err Mrs,don't,stop it :shock:

I remember those hubs being on offer at CRC some years ago at very reasonable prices but I got a pair of Shimano tandem hubs on EBay for about the same price,nice hubs though :)

IMO 40hole tandem wheels built with such hubs as WI M16's or Shimano tandem and strong rims such as Sputniks or Magic T227's and Sapim or Dt Swiss spokes are bomproof :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

steady on! You'll get the poor things worried...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ronan

Post by Ronan »

Hi SpaceCaptainTheodore,
did you buy the Simmonsohn tandem, and if so can you please give a review? I am looking into buying a reasonably priced tandem, and this is certainly reasonably priced. Many thanks,
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/tand ... 1326768063

Saw this one this am, may be of interest at the price?
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Post by SpaceCaptainTheodore »

Hi Ronan, unfortunately I can only offer a very qualified opinion as, due to a combination of badly timed events and (minor) family illnesses I haven't done more than take it out the box and put it together.

There's nothing that gives me any particular concern, it's much what I anticipated. Though I would note that the construction of the fork is somewhat agricultural and some of the finishing is a bit scruffy. The mudguards, in particular, are a shameful waste of natural resources, though I may use them to bodge an older pair of chromoplastics I had on a commuter back into usability. Likewise, comments made upthread on the wheels are probably fair and the out-of box spoke tension is...interesting.

I've had a very brief run around the back (single rider) and while there's nothing that gives me cause for concern or regret, I don't think it really leaves me any wiser!

My personal business case when I went for this was that getting an older tandem and nursing it back to health was probably going to add 2-300 pounds parts and transit onto the asking price as well as running up against foreseeable free time limitations in which to do it (a more accurate assumption than anticipated given I haven't been on the thing!). On this basis, it fits the brief and I'm happy enough. If you're able to commit the effort, though, I would echo the advice given to me and pick a known-quantity up second hand. There's also the fact that the wheels represent a deferred cost as they will, at some point, require an upgrade - it works for my current position but may not for you!
Ronan

Post by Ronan »

Many thanks SpaceCaptainTheodore and Bonefishblues.
Much appreciated
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

The one on gumtree would ride better with the forks the right way round!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ant... wrote:The one on gumtree would ride better with the forks the right way round!

I believe that's the short wheelbase version ;)