dont ask a copper

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
landsurfer

Re: dont ask a copper ( better url)

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Exactly where Britain went wrong and is still going wrong…

Al

Well AVM Cliff Spink may disagree with you and the hundreds of RAF personnel that served with him. At all levels.

Would that be the former station commander at RAF Coningsby and BBMF Spitfire pilot? Did quite well in spite of what some might call his educational disadvantages.

Thats the man ... top chap ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:
pete75 wrote:At one time commissions were bought, £1500 for a captaincy and so on. That's not done anymore but it helps to have a private income if you're an officer in one of the smarter regiments.

A very very long time ago .....very .......

Just did a bit of research and the practice finished a lot later than I thought. Cardwell's army reforms of 1871 abolished it. There may well have been elderly officers during WW1 who'd bought their earliest commissions - a boy could become an officer at 16.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Squibnocket

Re: dont ask a copper

Post by Squibnocket »

Well done to the Lady for being one up on the scum bag.

‘We don’t have the manpower to look at these sorts of things.’ Disgraceful response from the Police. If it was a million pound theft would the response be the same? ( I think not ) A theft is a theft and the very fact she gave them so much information to apprehend the scum bag.

Perhaps next year she could withhold her payment for Policing from her council tax.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:Image

Ahhhh .. chips and shoulders with scars ...

Are we going to have a "battle scar off" .... :D

:lol:
Be more Mike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=125590#
Out the other day-
Car pulls across my path entrance to cycle path.
Stops abruptly so I cannot proceed safely.
I tap on rear window.
All hell breaks lose.
Driver gets out swearing cussing...........I own the land adjacent been in family for 300 years etc, etc etc.
Refuses to move.
I turn around and cycle back a minute later.
No intention of moving.
I pass as safe as I can on right.
Car chases me revving engine down cycle path (also a dead end road and bridle path)
I get off bike.
Driver grabs my bike and tosses it into hedge.
Then chasses me down the path.
More cussing insults swearing.
Punches and kicks thrown by them.
I get back to my bike and driver gets in car and drives at me on foot making contact twice.
I phone 999.
I walk away with bike down path.
Car follows me dispite I am on phone to police, and I told them.
They shout down phone at police.

I leave, get crime number........................phone 101...........that's it.
Blood on my leg at home from kick.

Ex copper persuades me to phone 101.

I have full video evidence without sound unfortuanately.

We will see, I filled in form online after failing to get through / put on hold etc etc.

I won't hold my breath.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=124395
"Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 22 Aug 2018, 9:15pm
Hi,
My er indoors told me a story the other day.
Er sister was coming home from holiday and broke down in car less than 10 miles from home.
They limped into a mc douguls car park late in evening.
Were spotted by a police car and rather than wait for breakdown.......wouldn't be too long would it...........the police suggested that they mark the car with police tape..................then gave them a lift home about 10 miles plus getting back on duty I suppose.
Its not the first time police have gone the extra mile for someone in distress on these posts :?
D&C chief was on tv a few days ago talking about over stretched and lack of money etc.........................."
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 11 Oct 2018, 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:

Mine are so cool ..... in fact it is hip!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Mine are so cool ..... in fact it is hip!

Lol again ... :lol:
Be more Mike.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Tuesday I was cut up badly at a roundabout in the town centre by a white van man, I shouted out and the driver stuck his head out and started hurling abuse and then slowed down as if he was going to take things further. Literally 3-4 seconds later I'm the junction that feeds to where the closed to the public police station is and there's a 4x4 police car waiting to turn. I pull up to the window and tell the WPC that that white van (not 25m away) has just missed me by inches and then started hurling abuse at me which is a public order offence on top of dangerous driving. I said are you going to do anything about it. She says nothing, drives in the direction of the van and then parks up at the petrol station and does nothing, clearly hoping I hadn't seen her ignore her lawful duty and her ignoring a breach of the peace never mind the dangerous driving.
If I had been a female and said that man had just swung a sledgehammer near my head and then started swearing/verbally abusing me she would have had the blues and two's on instantly

The title of the thread is correct, don't ask a copper because they'll do sod all to keep the peace as they have sworn an oath to and basically don't give a stuff. This is my experience in many counties, but particularly my own here in Hertfordshire. It feeds right to the top too, I had a lengthy 'chat' with Chief Insp Julie Wheatley a couple of years ago after I made a complaint via IPCC over the conduct of a police sergeant and inspector after I was driven at and the subsequent abusive phone call by the sergeant and failure of the inspector to bother to turn up for a meeting to discuss matters.

CI Wheatley said this in interview 3 years ago on an article about female officers "I have the same enthusiasm for protecting the public of Hertfordshire that I did 25 years ago", frankly I think she is lying or deluding herself, she doesn't give a stuff and fobbed me off with the same old pony protecting her officers who in the case of the sergeant was abusive to myself and perverting the course of justice, the disgraceful way her Inspector left me standing outside a closed police station in the rain because he couldn't be buttocked to turn up made my blood boil even more.

Enforce the law, don't pick and choose, don't victim blame, don't protect bent officers who are happy to try to have a pop at you the victim as opposed to resolving the matter properly as per the law and dealing with the offender!
The police are part of the problem, failure to act on the smaller stuff is where it starts, when it's assault/actions that can and does kill and maim people then ignoring the incidents and the criminals makes matters worse because you're basically saying it's fine, you only need look at the extreme end of things like the Met blaming Michael Mason for his death and other perversions of the law like the Rhyl incident where the Inspector lied about the speed to the public and and called it an accident.
Rant over. :twisted:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:.......made my blood boil even more.

......Rant over. :twisted:

Alas, the world is choka-blok with institutions and people in them that fail to meet their own purported design, function and standards. Why remain surprised by this? If every instance you encounter makes your blood boil you'll soon be utterly desiccated.

Personally I find that one must accept Fortuna's slings & arrows with a dodge, a wriggle, a sigh of displeasure .... but then move on, if one is not to become a mad ranter full of urges to retaliate against all that's unfair.

What one must be careful of is becoming so emotional that sense, reason and all the other modes that govern out dark desires, are lost. We then form the same habits as those who go about causing us problems with their incompetence and worse. Before long we are tangoing with such folk. The dance may become dangerous then lethal. At the very least, it's exhausting.

Also, it's unpleasant to go through life mentally rehearsing every poke of injustice from others. One then tends to miss noticing the good stuff in the world, which is sad.

On the other hand, your rants are fascinating. I would be a little liar were I to deny looking forward to reading more! :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Now if the driver of the white van had made a racist comment we would have seen scores of police trying to catch him, the met employs over a thousand police offers just trawling the internet looking for hate crimes, yet if you get burgled it is treated about as serious as throwing a sweet wrapper on the floor, the country has become a cesspit of political correctness and do not expect common sense to break out any time soon!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

pete75 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
pete75 wrote:BTW Forces salaries aren't as low as you seem to imply - a young relative who has been in the army for just 4 years is on over £40,000 pa.

Commissioned Officer then ? Not an Infantry Man. .....

He's in an infantry regiment.

As Commissioned Officer, or Squaddie?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxychick wrote:Now if the driver of the white van had made a racist comment we would have seen scores of police trying to catch him, the met employs over a thousand police offers just trawling the internet looking for hate crimes

Thread drift + "humour", just read about someone who worked as a fire lookout in the endless forests of new mexico, worked completely alone, he was required to attend an awareness course about sexual harrasment :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
foxychick wrote:Now if the driver of the white van had made a racist comment we would have seen scores of police trying to catch him, the met employs over a thousand police offers just trawling the internet looking for hate crimes

Thread drift + "humour", just read about someone who worked as a fire lookout in the endless forests of new mexico, worked completely alone, he was required to attend an awareness course about sexual harrasment :?

Well, I have been propositioned by a Jersey cow, some sheep and several dogs. I think they were propositioning me. I could tell by the look in their eyes.

I was once accosted by a large tomcat. He had been confined in a cattery for a fortnight which was full of the opposite gender - unavailable by way of the wire meshes. When he got home his hormones were flowing wildly and so my left leg was severely propositioned, with the claws of all four paws providing the purchase for the yowling furryfrotbag!

It was no easy matter to remove the amorous beast, let me tell you. At least the Jersey cow merely gave me a come-on look. Those eyelashes!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

De Sisti wrote:
pete75 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Commissioned Officer then ? Not an Infantry Man. .....

A captain. As he says pretty far down the food chain.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
pete75 wrote:

A captain. As he says pretty far down the food chain.

Thats well up the food chain, well up !
Be more Mike.