Ride with GPS

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Velocio

Ride with GPS

Post by Velocio »

I was looking for a phone app to record my rides, not to plan my rides.

I tried other Cycling phone apps like Strava, Map my Ride, etc. and they would invariably want me to share my information on other media

Then I thankfully discovered Ride with GPS (find in Google App Store)

It's free, it allows me to record all my rides, CTC, U3A, Charity rides, constitutionals, and rides just with fun and family, and doesn't ask me to share my rides elsewhere

It also records a host of other facts and stats of each ride I undertake (see pic)

So if you're looking for a simple ride recorder ...that's free ...look no further

Velocio :)
Attachments
Today's Ride 2.jpg
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
Psamathe

Re: Ride with GPS

Post by Psamathe »

There are loads of apps to record your tracks that don't require internet access, upload, etc. and don't require accounts/internet uploads, etc.

I use https://mapout.app (for iPhone/iPad). Has the clearest map rendering I've seen and uses pre-downloaded mapping based on OpenStreet Map but is very altitude focused (with route/track altitude plots, cross section altitude plots, draw a route altitude plots, etc.). Recorded tracks stay in the app for viewing or if you want you can send them wherever your phone supports (in .gpx format). At home I just load them to my local computer but on my tour I loaded them to my web site https://psamathe.eu/europe-2018-cycling/.

I'm sure there are other apps and that everybody has their favourite.

My own thoughts when selecting apps is if/how the developer/service provider is making their money. Some developers are enthusiasts and a retirement in luxury is not their motivation. Others are commercial operations and thus when they provide a service it is not for free e.g. ads, crippleware, etc.. If you buy an app then the developer is getting a portion of the purchase cost (and again in a few years when the app is significantly upgraded, etc.)

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:I'm sure there are other apps and that everybody has their favourite.

My own thoughts when selecting apps is if/how the developer/service provider is making their money. Some developers are enthusiasts and a retirement in luxury is not their motivation. Others are commercial operations and thus when they provide a service it is not for free e.g. ads, crippleware, etc.. If you buy an app then the developer is getting a portion of the purchase cost (and again in a few years when the app is significantly upgraded, etc.)

If you buy an app, then the app store owner is getting a big chunk of the purchase cost. Better to pay directly if you can IMO.

My current one is OSMAnd. Its OSM Live scheme splits donations and subscriptions 50-50 between the app developers and the mappers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Strava wont share data if your privacy settings are set to your requirements within the app.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

SmilerGB wrote:Strava wont share data if your privacy settings are set to your requirements within the app.

What, not even with strava.com?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SmilerGB

Ride with GPS

Post by SmilerGB »

Your account info is stored online, doesn’t mean it’s shared with anyone else but the owner, with data protection act being widely improved, so has the privacy options sites/apps

Even ride with gps creates a online account to store your information incase it’s lost from your device.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

SmilerGB wrote:Your account info is stored online, doesn’t mean it’s shared with anyone else but the owner, with data protection act being widely improved, so has the privacy options sites/apps

"We may share your information with third parties who provide services to Strava [...]" and so on. Not all of the sharing has opt-outs. Also, there have been enough cracked sites that it's always a risk even with opt-outs, if it's uploaded.

SmilerGB wrote:Even ride with gps creates a online account to store your information incase it’s lost from your device.

True. OSMand doesn't (unless you explicitly tell it to). Making one's own backups is always better.