Hanoi - bike/box logistics

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hoogerbooger

Hanoi - bike/box logistics

Post by hoogerbooger »

Am thinking of going to northern Vietnam next spring. Looks like a cardboard bike box is needed for the airline and that I'll need to store it (as I read somewhere you can't just pick them up from bike shops).

Anyone been there and know if it should be easy to store unfolded boxes in Hanoi & logistics of getting to/from airport with 2 boxed bike
old fangled
simonhill

Re: Hanoi - bike/box logistics

Post by simonhill »

I've flown into Hanoi a few times, but not recently.

Look out for a a large taxi, sort of SUV estate car thing, that you can get bikes in the back. Alternatively hire a minibus, they are not expensive. Nonetheless, do some research to check standard taxi price before you go to avoid being ripped off. The lonely planet Vietnam thorn tree forum is useful for info.

Book a decent hotel on eg booking.com. Look at description carefully to see if it might have space to store boxes. The cheaper places are very small and have little space for anything. I used to have to keep bike outside during day and only bring in at night.

There used to be no chance of a box, but things change and the people get richer. I think there is at least one decent bike shop in Hanoi now, but as you are taking boxes, hanging onto them is your best bet. Try using search on Google maps to find, then look at their website.

You may have to pay to store them. Not a lot, butt fix price at the start.

As a last resort, there are loads of indoor places that people use for parking motorbikes, because space in houses, etc is so limited. One of these would store the boxes, but again, agree rate first.

Where are you cycling?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

No help but a work colleague has just returned from a three week motor cycling tour of Vietnam including the Ho Chi Min Trail.He says Hanoi is THE scariest place he's ever ridden a bike :o
delilah

Post by delilah »

I'm off to Hanoi in November flying with Qatar.
Cardboard box out, leave at airport, CTC plastic bag back.
Will post how I get on!
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

100%JR wrote:No help but a work colleague has just returned from a three week motor cycling tour of Vietnam including the Ho Chi Min Trail.He says Hanoi is THE scariest place he's ever ridden a bike :o

I've not cycled there and have no useful input really

but Hanoi is absolutely mental for traffic and it's incredibly busy. i really liked it there because of it.

be aware, it could be chilly depending when you go. I rocked up in t shirt etc thinking "it's south east asia - it will be baking hot" - first purchase i made there was a new jacket!