** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:Meanwhile, a Conservative MP from Kent was getting unhappy at Commons Transport Questions that works have started to prepare the M26 to be used as an extension to the Operation Stack M20+airfield lorry parks post-Brexit. Presumably tarmacking contraflow openings and installing signs. I guess he's no longer among those who "see Brexit not just as a threat, which sadly so many people do, but also as an opportunity"!

It's in the newspapers today, including https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lorry-park

It seems the M26 extension to Op Stack will be called Op Brock - I wonder if that's because it's near Badger's Mount.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

At last something positive emerging from this Brexit fiasco

I admit it's not much in comparison to the damage to the UK economy, refutation, population, etc. but at the request f others here we have to recognise the "benefits".

The same Andrea Leadsom who said
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrea-leadsom-men-paedophiles-childcare-workers-hired-sensible-a7139351.html wrote:Andrea Leadsom says men should not be hired to do childcare as they may be paedophiles

Some might have thought Blobby/Davis, etc. et al quitting was a Brexit benefit, but they were only there because of Brexit anyway so their resignations don't really count as a net benefit.

Ian
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

pete75 wrote:Didn't Westminster impose a budget on NI - otherwise nothing would be spent there. This money will have gone into that.

No, Westminster didn't impose a budget - that would be 'direct rule' and a major trigger for trouble from all the players of old. But the minister did manage to word a "here's a suggested budget, if you want to change it please please reassemble the assembly" release which the includes £410 million.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/writ ... d-finances
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

In words of one syllabub, can someone explain what the continued membership of a Customs Union actually means, in practical terms?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Bonefishblues wrote:In words of one syllabub, can someone explain what the continued membership of a Customs Union actually means, in practical terms?

Bits of paper (and payments) not required as goods cross a border. Really needs the single market too though as otherwise goods may be tariff free but may not meet other requirements/standards and so still need checks.

Ergo no lorry queues between say Belgium and France unlike between Germany and Switzerland (Switzerland I single market for goods but outside of CU so lorries have to declare as the cross the border).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

MrsHJ wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:In words of one syllabub, can someone explain what the continued membership of a Customs Union actually means, in practical terms?

Bits of paper (and payments) not required as goods cross a border. Really needs the single market too though as otherwise goods may be tariff free but may not meet other requirements/standards and so still need checks.

Ergo no lorry queues between say Belgium and France unlike between Germany and Switzerland (Switzerland I single market for goods but outside of CU so lorries have to declare as the cross the border).

So in practical terms, because we are enacting/have enacted all the EU standards into our legislation (at a stroke, quietly, a year+ ago, IIRC), we do have the best of both worlds for a while? In that, our goods will automatically meet EU standards, but we are out, at the cost of £40bn.

I assume that we wouldn't be able to enter into trade agreements with others at this point though.

Just trying to piece together the cat's cradle, as it were.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Bonefishblues wrote:Just trying to piece together the cat's cradle, as it were.

The dog's dinner?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Bonefishblues wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:

So in practical terms, because we are enacting/have enacted all the EU standards into our legislation (at a stroke, quietly, a year+ ago, IIRC), we do have the best of both worlds for a while? In that, our goods will automatically meet EU standards, but we are out, at the cost of £40bn.

I assume that we wouldn't be able to enter into trade agreements with others at this point though.

Just trying to piece together the cat's cradle, as it were.

The view amongst the commentators I follow is that we will never be able to solve the backstop over at least not in the foreeeable future ergo customs union is indefinite. However I don’t think they’ve agreed equivalence of goods so the single market problem isn’t solved (for the mainland- NI is being treated differently). TBH the whole trade deals thing was a fantasy anyway- the EU trade deals we are already signed up to Are far better than out of SM and customs union and plus a deal with the USA.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Just trying to piece together the cat's cradle, as it were.

The dog's dinner?

I reckon even a dog would turn it's nose up at a dinner made for it by this bunch ...........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:So in practical terms, because we are enacting/have enacted all the EU standards into our legislation (at a stroke, quietly, a year+ ago, IIRC), we do have the best of both worlds for a while? In that, our goods will automatically meet EU standards, but we are out, at the cost of £40bn.

The Auditor General in his select committee Q&A I mentioned earlier seemed to say that only 1 out of something like 17 pieces of legislation needed for such standardisation had been passed so far. He also said something along the lines of not wanting to rule out the possibility that parliament might enact the remainder very quickly if needed, though, which made me suspect we might see some last minute late night legislating next March... Which I'm sure will be fine and not produce any bad laws...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:So in practical terms, because we are enacting/have enacted all the EU standards into our legislation (at a stroke, quietly, a year+ ago, IIRC), we do have the best of both worlds for a while? In that, our goods will automatically meet EU standards, but we are out, at the cost of £40bn.

The Auditor General in his select committee Q&A I mentioned earlier seemed to say that only 1 out of something like 17 pieces of legislation needed for such standardisation had been passed so far. He also said something along the lines of not wanting to rule out the possibility that parliament might enact the remainder very quickly if needed, though, which made me suspect we might see some last minute late night legislating next March... Which I'm sure will be fine and not produce any bad laws...

Thanks, helpful. You'll be surprised to hear that I only dip into this thread from time to time - one can only stand so much excitement, what with my ticker :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Which, ignoring the cost, is fantastic, until they pass new legislation that gives EU companies advantages over British companies, and no one in the UK can do a damn thing about it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:

Which, ignoring the cost, is fantastic, until they pass new legislation that gives EU companies advantages over British companies, and no one in the UK can do a damn thing about it.

Which will vindicate the supporters of brexit viewpoint, and all will be right in the world again, like in the olden days.
661-Pete

** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by 661-Pete »

Well - it does seem that turkeys are going to get more expensive because of brex**it.

So presumably fewer will be eaten. Good news for the turkeys, it seems. Maybe they did vote for Christmas all along.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It appears that the DUP are now deciding the fate the UK Prime Minister. Wonder why the Brexit supporters who are always banging on about democracy are strangely quiet about a party with just 10 MPs having so much say on how the country is run. My guess is it's because they agree with DUP views and opinions - right wing and backward.
They'd be very vocal in complaining about the Labour party governing with SNP support.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 80021.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker