Keeping feet warm while inactive.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Keeping feet warm while inactive.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Also have to say - I have a pair of winter SPD boots... what size are you?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Hi Bob. I'm a nine, though generally buy tens. How did you find them? Also do you intend to ride wild Wales in 2019?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've found them excellent, very warm indeed.

The likelihood of me being able to ride the WW next year is pretty slim, just getting there would be a challenge... and several hours of riding would be exhausting (not even in terms of legs, just in terms of holding my hear still and keeping my eyes pointing in the right direction).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Thanks OldBloke. I have ordered something similar from eBay for £1, delivery from China so may take a while but I have time yet. I'm definitely more set up for non SPD footware than I am otherwise.
hercule

Keeping feet warm while inactive.

Post by hercule »

Another suggestion... a long time ago we used to go diving. Dry suit divers use special insulated under suits that come complete with booties... I can attest that they are very warm, even 30m under the North Sea in winter... you might find some going on eBay.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

SPD's have an excellent heat conductor from cleat to just below the insole. A good set of thicker insoles may provide a bit less heat loss.
On the trike you present the base of the shoe, hence cleat, to the wind so you could deflect the air around it by attachment of some plastic. It worked in the bad winter a few years ago.
It also keeps a lot of rain out from the overshoe, but doesn't prevent it all.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

I suffer from Raynaud’s disease and hence cold feet are a real problem in winter, even when riding the trike energetically. Over the years I’ve tried many things, including bubble wrap duck taped around the shoes (with hole for SPDs). This helped but the cure has been electric socks. I bought the Lenz socks and, although expensive, they do work even down at -20°C. They are especially favoured by the hunting and fishing set, apparently.

If you don’t suffer whilst cycling then just switch them on when stationary.

I use mine with Shimano MTB spd boots which are waterproof (Gore Tex). I’ve also added a themal insole to slow heat loss to the cleat and pedal.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use Sorel Boots when in the Arctic, and they have kept my feet warm on a dog sled at -28 C

You can buy the linersthat provide the thermal insulation quite reasonably.... then fit into a boot or shoe?

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Lodge wrote:I suffer from Raynaud’s disease and hence cold feet are a real problem in winter, even when riding the trike energetically. Over the years I’ve tried many things, including bubble wrap duck taped around the shoes (with hole for SPDs). This helped but the cure has been electric socks. I bought the Lenz socks and, although expensive, they do work even down at -20°C. They are especially favoured by the hunting and fishing set, apparently.

If you don’t suffer whilst cycling then just switch them on when stationary.

I use mine with Shimano MTB spd boots which are waterproof (Gore Tex). I’ve also added a themal insole to slow heat loss to the cleat and pedal.

Where/which socks... I was about to come back and suggest electric insoles, but apologise that with the demise of Maplin I had no idea where to get any...
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Lots of good ideas there for me to investigate. Thank you.

I am out for as long as I have time so recharging batteries may be a stretch. 9mm of wicking synthetic boot liner might just be the trick even if this means I need investigate larger SPDs to accommodate.

I received roday the reduced in price SealSkin overshoes i brought before the weekend in XL, size 12 to 14 UK. Intended as a second layer of over shoes for my size 10 SPDs. How they size them I don't know as they were hard enough to get on as a first pair let alone a second.

Some serious thought is required as to what layers when as the heat difference is large of course between being active getting there and the cold creeping in through hours of being sedentary.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Have you looked at boots like these, designed for down to -3°C?

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/45nrth-wolvhammer-boa/

OB
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Boots are a different issue, I toured with Shimano MT90s as a compromise for walking whilst. touring:

I think anything higher in the ankle would start to affect ankle movement when pedalling
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I don't generally get cold feet (live barefoot at home year round in a not-too-warm house, sandals and no socks for half the year at work and out-and-about, including on the bikes) yet when they do get cold they do a proper job of it, and what's noticeable (especially when barefoot or in sandals) is that when they do start getting cold the circulation is pretty limited (my feet start going white). When the circulation is down most of the heat source is gone, and without much heat going in you're fighting a losing battle. Insulation doesn't keep the cold out, it keeps the heat in, but if there's not enough heat to start with...

So if you're really suffering I'd look at something active, like the electric socks. You might also try conspicuous ankling when riding, to give the blood a good excuse to get along to the ends. Also, make sure your legs are reasonably warm, so you don't lose blood-heat on the way.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

eddiewalkling wrote:Lots of good ideas there for me to investigate. Thank you.

I am out for as long as I have time so recharging batteries may be a stretch. 9mm of wicking synthetic boot liner might just be the trick even if this means I need investigate larger SPDs to accommodate.

I received roday the reduced in price SealSkin overshoes i brought before the weekend in XL, size 12 to 14 UK. Intended as a second layer of over shoes for my size 10 SPDs. How they size them I don't know as they were hard enough to get on as a first pair let alone a second.

Some serious thought is required as to what layers when as the heat difference is large of course between being active getting there and the cold creeping in through hours of being sedentary.

You wouldn't need that much battery power I'd think... you only need to burst heat when you're not moving.