Lands End - Taunton Route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
cycleruk

Re: Lands End - Taunton Route

Post by cycleruk »

honesty wrote:I guess it’s down to what you want from the route. I’d divert into it because of the viaduct and accept the rest (which I enjoyed cycling when I did it last) and accept its probably 15 minutes slower at least than the more direct route.
Same with the lanes round Taunton. I’d ride the lane through Nynehead because it goes through a fantastic rock cut and because it’s a nicer ride even if it is going to be 10 minutes slower.
Each to their own. :)

Yes but how practical is it for End to Enders?
Someone mentioned using the canal towpath from Taunton. This the Wimps did last June and we were very lucky that the weather was dry. I certainly wouldn't want to do it if wet. It added distance and time to our original route and was uncomfortable for some riders.
Last edited by cycleruk on 13 Oct 2018, 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

cycleruk wrote:
honesty wrote:I guess it’s down to what you want from the route. I’d divert into it because of the viaduct and accept the rest (which I enjoyed cycling when I did it last) and accept its probably 15 minutes slower at least than the more direct route.
Same with the lanes round Taunton. I’d ride the lane through Nynehead because it goes through a fantastic rock cut and because it’s a nicer ride even if it is going to be 10 minutes slower.
Each to their own. :)

Yes but how practical is it for End to Enders?
Someone mentioned using the canal towpath from Taunton. This the Wimps did last June and we were very lucky that the weather was dry. I certainly wouldn't want to do it if wet. Then it added distance and time to our original route and was uncomfortable for some riders.

+1 .. it seemed like an easy start to the day, following the canal, but some stretches where very rough. We weren't riding light bikes, mostly robust tourers ....
One of our group suffered greatly with the rough surface and this may have added to the stress he was enduring, and possibly his accident later in the day.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I ride the canal towpath from Taunton on 28mm tyres in anything but pouring rain... I guess people have different opinions of what’s acceptable! There’s one rough section just before the motorway from the Taunton side but generally the gravel surface is decent if you follow the lane just before Maunsel locks rather than the bit that hasn’t been gravelled. On my tourer with 35mm marathons its completely fine no matter what...

The granite way is tarmacd anyway :)
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I think I would take the point made by others above, that for those whose main aim is to ride from one end of the country to the other, ie, Lejog, that any detour for the sole purpose of looking at 'interesting' sites or over 'unusual' road surfaces is a detour too many.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Whatever floats your boat, but for me doing such touring includes seeing the interesting stuff as well as riding the route. About the viaduct here I don’t even consider it a diversion...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

charliepolecat wrote:I think I would take the point made by others above, that for those whose main aim is to ride from one end of the country to the other, ie, Lejog, that any detour for the sole purpose of looking at 'interesting' sites or over 'unusual' road surfaces is a detour too many.

Spot on!

Some End2Enders want to ride over Dartmoor, and many of them do - especially the organised rides.

If you want to ride in interesting beautiful and scenic places, see the sights, take the challenges ............ do them as a separate trip. Come down to Dartmoor (for instance) and stay over a weekend maybe. You can ride all the roads on Dartmoor at your leisure and enjoy it properly.

Other than that, on your End2End, go round it to the north. It's easier and faster too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

honesty wrote:Whatever floats your boat, but for me doing such touring includes seeing the interesting stuff as well as riding the route. About the viaduct here I don’t even consider it a diversion...
You could be correct, but it's far slower and quite a bit restrictive having to stop and get off to open gates and navigate through chicanes with panniers or a trailer.

Screenshot of the best route with the cycle way on there as well courtesy of BikeHikeUk.
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 06.23.26.png
Mick F. Cornwall
althebike

Post by althebike »

This goal vs fun is often an ongoing battle with me, I start rides thinking of diverts to interesting places, taking lots of pics chatting to interesting people, then I get on the bike, put the blinkers on and it becomes 25m to cafe, 25 mile to lunch,25 mile to Bed for night, :? rather than just enjoy, I have this internal conversation battling each other for half the ride
Ajax Bay

Post by Ajax Bay »

LE, Penzance (worth cutting right off A30 and going through Newlyn imo), Marazion, Goldsithney, B4280 (Leedstown/Praze-an-Beeble/Four Lanes) to Redruth, Scorrier, Blackwater, Newquay, Padstow (via St Mawgan village (Nb ^^)), ferry to Rock, St Minver, B3314 to Davidstow, Hallworthy, North Tamerton, Holsworthy, Hatherleigh, Monkokehampton, Winkleigh, Eggesford, Chawleigh (and left), to minor road going ENE past Rose Ash and crossing A361 to B3227, B3227 via Black Cat junction, Bampton, Wiveliscombe, Norton Fitzwareen and into Taunton. Prefer canal route out towards Bridgwater but can be a time suck (faster option is A361/A38 but uncomfortable at busy times).
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28769484?beta=false
261km + 2938m
First 260km (with minor amdts) of this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8592623?beta=false
Alternatively look at Ian H's Kernow and SW 600 permanent audax route for some ideas:
http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/maps/KSW600.gif
http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/permanent-ro ... h-west-600
Expects the A39 section to be done in the late evening or early morning when traffic is low. My route chooses the Padstow ferry - as a highlight (but check tide tables) - and cuts from Davidstow to Holsworthy cutting out the Bude excursion.
After Eggesford (A377/Taw valley) that goes east from Chawleigh (B3042/B3137) to Tiverton. Mick F has described the Blundells/Sampford Peverell road out but I would get onto the canal path round towards White Ball before cutting up onto the A38.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I understand that route, and been on those roads many times. :D

The issue really .......... probably? ............. is that folk only have so long off work to do the ride. They need to get the distances with an efficient route.

LE/Penzance/Marazion/Praze/Redruth is a fine route, but it's quicker and easier on the A30 from Penzance to Hayle and Connor Downs to Redruth.

As for North Tamerton and Holsworthy, Winkleigh etc, you need lots of time to climb all those hills. Nice route though.
Done it, been there, got the T shirt! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Any of Cornwall's main roads will be busy at almost any time of day and time of year. The A30 is potentially lethal, especially on the single carriageway bits, where traffic continually tries to overtake you whatever the conditions, despite the dangers. I dislike this road intensely on a bike, although, despite that, it is an easy and quick route, if that's what you want, and the dual carriageway allows more room for passing. (But the traffic is usually much faster)
The Taunton canal route can result in significant rim wear from braking, due to the fine red grit that is thrown up, especially when wet.
The old A38 section from Exeter can be busy, but, outside of main commuting times, when everone is in a hurry, it's not too bad.
It's all a question of preference and the time available. Now that I'm a person of leisure I would much prefer to avoid the noise, pollution and danger of major roads and enjoy the pleasure of a slower meander along lesser used routes.
Ajax Bay

Post by Ajax Bay »

@Mick F "LE/Penzance/Marazion/Praze/Redruth is a fine route, but it's quicker and easier on the A30 from Penzance to Hayle and Connor Downs to Redruth."
I'm assuming @Mick F's recommendation would be to ride through Hayle rather than on the single-carriageway A30: the route through town is 500m shorter and 30m less climb (and you're not being beasted by the trunk road traffic which is 'desperate' to get onto the dual-carriageway just a few miles hence).
Options from Penzance (station) to Scorrier (Smokey Joe's):
1a) A30 (9km of it, single carriageway), Hayle, Connor Downs, Camborne, Redruth: 31.9km +422m
1b) via Gulval to Crowlas (avoiding A30) then 4km of A30 (single carriageway) then into Hayle and as above: 32.3km + 433m
2a) Marazion, Goldsithney, B4280 (Leedstown/Praze-an-Beeble/Four Lanes) to Redruth, Scorrier: 35.3km + 457m
2b) Marazion, Goldsithney, B4280 (Leedstown/Praze-an-Beeble) and left to Camborne, Redruth, Scorrier: 34.5km + 418m
2c) Marazion, Goldsithney, B4280 to Relubbus then fork left (Gurlyn Hill) thro' Reawla to Camborne, Redruth, Scorrier: 33.5km + 443m
As you might deduce from the data, the distances/climbing are similar. So while the A30 will be faster (especially with plenty of lorries to give the (TT) rider a decent pull), if one of the criterion is to stay off the A30 (after Penzance), then the B3280 is as @Mick F says "fine" (decent surface, plenty wide for cars both coming towards the rider and passing). Option 2c above is on narrower roads so while shorter I would stick to the B roads. My favourite is option 2b above (and note has the least climb), but I've ridden through Hayle most often.
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

Mick, this bit is wrong
Bear right at a roundabout under a footbridge still on the A396, and right at the next one onto a minor road past Blundell’s School (posh private skool) and go through Harberton and Sampford Peverell to the A361 dual carriageway. You cross this road over a flyover and sort of cloverleaf and wind back on yourself.

The road is fast and busy, but wide, and before you get off the slipway, you can ride along a layby, and by the time you get to the end of it, you reach a busy roundabout. Total distance on the dual carriageway A361 is only half a mile.

Head straight across the roundabout. It’s a bit fast, but it’s fine if you get a move on. If you have difficulty, get off and cross the road on foot. It’s the M5 Junction 27, so can be a bit hectic.

Straight on is what you want, and it’s the A38. Not too busy because the big traffic is on the M5. Head north for Wellington and turn off through the town centre as it’s the easiest route.

In Halberton turn right sp Willand - there's a pub on the junction
Follow that road to a "straight over rbt", under the M5 and past a chippy

Now, at the next RBT (which has a Coop that's open to 11pm on it) there are two choices

CHOICE 1
. 2nd exit, up to next RBT (Waterloo X) then 3rd exit to go on A38 towards Taunton/Wellington. Don't go through Wellington town centre, take the 2nd exit sp Taunton/M5

CHOICE 2
3rd exit, sp Uffculme. In Uffculme follow the road and you will cross the river. Keep to that road and you will go through Culmstock. After Culmstock climb the hill and at the top take 1st R then R at T. Through Nicholashane and a notably muddy dip near a farm, cross the M5 AGAIN and descent to R at T and onto the Wellington Bypass. Do not go through Wellington unless you love waiting at traffic lights (or want to visit Waitrose)

Choice 1 is better if it is rainy or if you want to ride very very fast
Choice 2 is better if you want an easier route (It's the Blackdown Hills neither route is flat)

Between Wellington and Taunton there is Sheppy's cider factory outlet. Just saying.

At the other end of the bypass there are a load of RBT, just keep following sp to Taunton and then follow Mick's suggestion of going through Taunton. Which is not a great experience
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent info! :D

Turning right at Halberton towards Willand to get onto the (B3181) (A38) and turning north to Waterloo Cross is good. It only adds a mile.
Mick F. Cornwall