Frame protection

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikercolin

Frame protection

Post by bikercolin »

Hi all
I have gone back to bar end shifters on my touring bike, does anyone have any ideas to protect my top tube from the shifters.
landsurfer

Re: Frame protection

Post by landsurfer »

Why, Why, Why ..... i rode with bar end shifters for my LEJOG in July ... got home and threw them as far as i could .......STI levers rule .... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

It's horses for courses really, I have shifters from SRAM and Shimano on my road bikes, but have planned a tour to Kyrgyzstan and like the simplicity, and don't mind the shifting.
I have ridden 50k off road today and enjoyed the bike and shifters, only changed gear with my knee once but worry about denting my new frame.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have bar-end shifters too but can't say that I've ever had this problem. How about a piece of helicopter tape around the top tube where the levers strike it?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

I have helicopter taped the frame but my set up is in line with frame, I fear a ding off road.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Weren't the original bars also at risk of dinging the tube? If you don't want to fit a tube protector (most seem to be foam, padded fabric, or leather), some folks take a hacksaw and shorten the drops, so the shifters end up where the ends originally were.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A wrap of inner tube around the top tube held in place with black tape?
Not pretty but it does offer some protection.

I personally don't like b/ends as they're in a vulnerable place for damaging and are what I term as knee knockers,they're also not much nearer to operate than down tube levers.
These aren't cheap but are IMO a great alternative:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... -per-pair/ and will accept either down tube or b/end levers
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Sticking with SJS - they really do have stuff no one else does - there's a steering lock that prevents the bars turning far enough to reach the top tube.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... ing%20lock
A bit pricey, but it may give you an idea for something that could be bodged.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Sticking with SJS - they really do have stuff no one else does - there's a steering lock that prevents the bars turning far enough to reach the top tube.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... ing%20lock
A bit pricey, but it may give you an idea for something that could be bodged.

That's a good idea but has limited use(sorry)to flat bar bikes or dropbarred bike where the ends of the drops are in front of the head tube,which is rare and even more rare where b/ends are fitted.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden