Assisted Scooter With Pedals Mmmph

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Assisted Scooter With Pedals Mmmph

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Noticed a dayglo jacket behind me and seemed to be keeping pace :?
So I stepped on it up a hill, and sat down and was passed :?
Looks like a old style scooter with small pressed wheels...but newesh....streaked along leaving me behind on a dip in road as I recovered a bit, was catching on next hill and then they were gone :(
A scooter silent with pedals :o
That's why they were slow on hills.

So (first one I have seen) a pedalec I suppose but styled as a step through scooter with no number plate but a dummy plate.
Guy was over 30 years at a guess, but you can use at 14 years?
I can only imagine its fashion to style it like a scooter?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Assisted Scooter With Pedals Mmmph

Hi,
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:A scooter silent with pedals :o
------
So (first one I have seen) a pedalec I suppose but styled as a step through scooter with no number plate but a dummy plate.
Guy was over 30 years at a guess, but you can use at 14 years :?:

https://greentecjag.en.ec21.com/Electri ... 87027.html
Attachments
product_image_1.jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A scooter of the style posted in the picture above is a "motorcycle" in UK law. So, needs C&U approval, motorcycle helmet, motorcycle licence, numberplate, road tax, etc.. Use of them on the road without such is the same as riding an unlicensed or untaxed petrol powered motorcycle.

An electrically assisted bicycle has a fairly tight definition in the UK (and EU). It would be possibly to style one as a scooter and be legal, but the power output, maximum speed before power-assist is removed (15mph), maximum weight, and mechanical pedal drive is tightly defined. Step outside those definitions and, on the road, its a "motorcycle". The one pictured is outside the electrically assisted bicycle regulations on speed, weight, and probably other factors.

- Nigel
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
Was thinking that it must be a restricted one.
The photo I posted was an example and its too powerful to be classed as - ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bik ... 2566257017
I wonder if you need a lid? Probably not................
eapc_ebay_250w_161018.jpg

The one that overtook me seemed more powerful than the normal pedalecs that are normally MTB's and hybrids, looks like a bicycle and normally top out below my cruising speed :mrgreen:
NO No plate so must be a restricted one :?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Your latter example might be legal or might not be - there are a few details which are not clear enough to be sure its legal, despite the seller's assurances. The seller's description has "removable pedals" - remove them and its definitely not an electrically assisted bicycle under UK law.

Helmets - if its an electrically assisted bicycle, then no requirement for helmet: its a bicycle.
If its a motorcycle, then a motorcycle helmet (defined in UK law as meeting and displaying particular certifications) is required.

The example you saw on the road might well be an illegal motorbike. I've seen illegal ones being ridden on the road, without plates, and that was a couple of years ago. They're fairly easy to import and there are probably UK suppliers of them as off-road vehicles.
The problem with legal supply of them as motorcycles is the complexity and expense of obtaining type-approval - there are a handful of type-approved electric motorcycles, but they tend to be quite expensive compared to petrol equivalents.