Hub dynamo comparison

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jezrant

Hub dynamo comparison

Post by Jezrant »

What are the pros and cons of Schmidt vs SP vs Shimano hub dynamos?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Hub dynamo comparison

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Schmidt is best but ferociously expensive. SP about as efficient but not as durable, but a fraction of the cost. Shimano hub serviceable (with a bit of faff) and not particularly costly, but less efficient that Schmidt and SP.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Twenty odd thousand miles and 10 years out of my Schmidt without any attention at all.
(Smaller and neater looking too...)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

.............. and another pro for the SP is that it comes in more spoke hole variations.
I have 28h, and as far as I can make out, no-one else does them.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

In performance terms there's not enough difference for most people to notice.
SP - less established than the others, not a great reliability reputation so far, though reasonable after sales even after the warranty period. Also make for others (Supernova and Hope that I know of) apparently with better seals.
Shimano - Just what you'd expect from any other Shimano part - good value, reliable, does the job, not designed to be serviceable, though some people have. A confusing number of options.
SON - Better engineered and finished, the silver classic (And maybe some other models) is polished rather than anodised so can be restored to look like new. Serviceable by SON so can last forever.
They are all good, just choose the criteria that's important to you. My head would choose one of the better Shimanos my heart SON.
Last edited by PH on 17 Oct 2018, 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Pro for the SP I have is that it's only £65. :D
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p30 ... YNAMO-PV-8

Compare the other prices.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p0/ ... ng-Dynamos

If you're looking for the best prices, some of the German online retailers will be hard to beat, this one for example
https://www.bike24.com/p2285322.html?q=hub%20dynamo
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Flange spacing on the SP is somewhat narrow at 50mm versus 62mm for Schmidt. Hence the wheel may not be as resistant to side loading, which may or may not bother you.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Got a SON28 and an SP PV8. Both excellent and perform well. The SON has been back after 5 years for new bearings but is still going strong after 10 years. the SP is new, smaller, lighter and cheaper. I was warned that it might not last as long and that you have to rebuild the wheel to return for service. I use the SON every day for commuting and would replace like for like. I use the SP as back up lighting in murky weather on long rides but wouldn't expect it to get as much use. The SP is relatively new so I cannot comment on longevity yet.

I nearly bought a shimano XT 1.5W hub as it seemed amazing value but decided not since I couldn't work out whether the performance would be as good as the 3W hubs.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Mick F wrote:.............. and another pro for the SP is that it comes in more spoke hole variations.

Some Schmidt models are available in a wide range of drillings. e.g Son delux polished 20, 24, 28, 32,36
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

tatanab wrote:Flange spacing on the SP is somewhat narrow at 50mm versus 62mm for Schmidt. Hence the wheel may not be as resistant to side loading, which may or may not bother you.

It could be an issue, but the one Mick mentions appears to be 60mm
http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8seriesdynamo%20hub.html

Whoops, read that chart incorrectly. :oops:
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Any comments/observations about the connectors and wiring used on these various dynamos?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

geocycle wrote:I nearly bought a shimano XT 1.5W hub as it seemed amazing value but decided not since I couldn't work out whether the performance would be as good as the 3W hubs.

I had one built into a new set of wheels from Spa. It sucks.
It gives out just enough juice to run my B&M Cyo 80 lux and rear Toplight but that's it. It'll not charge anything. It is very smooth though.
Saving my pennies to get my old 3n72 built into a new wheel instead.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
PH

Post by PH »

Jezrant wrote:Any comments/observations about the connectors and wiring used on these various dynamos?

I've only owned a SON (well two!) which have simple spade connectors, they can be a little awkward re-attaching in the dark (After a puncture for example) They've recently started offering a range of connectors to use between the spades and whatever you're using (Light, charger...) they also do splitters to run more than one thing. As usual SJS are the major UK suppliers, though you may find cheaper elsewhere.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-son-coaxial-adapter-w-male-connection/
And the full range
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=son%20connector
We haven't touched on lights yet, they're improving all the time while the hubs have to a large extent performed the same for decades. If you're on a budget, I'd choose the hub (Which you're unlikely to change through choice) first and the light (Which you may want to upgrade at some point) after.
scottg

Post by scottg »

robc02 wrote:
Mick F wrote:.............. and another pro for the SP is that it comes in more spoke hole variations.

Some Schmidt models are available in a wide range of drillings. e.g Son delux polished 20, 24, 28, 32,36

There is also "wide body" Son hub, 68mm flange spacing.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/compo ... rator-hub/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++