Halfords to sell Bromptons

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: Halfords to sell Bromptons

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Both are true :wink:

"Made in London" is an attraction and treating skilled staff who live nearby fairly is good business, like the 'hidden champions' in Germany, apparently they have special skills and the added value is high
Could they easily get other jobs in London, in manufacturing?

One might like to know how much Brompton staff are paid
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

Slightly different take on the same story
https://www.bikebiz.com/business/halfor ... artnership
RickH

Post by RickH »

cyclemad wrote:I just hope the bods at Halfords know which spanner to use and get training on how to build them up etc....

There have been terrible accounts of bikes being sent out of stores in dangerous conditions.....I even seen ''police '' mountain bikes being serviced in our local store and have watched the ''technicians'' work on them...I couldn't watch for long as it abysmal how they worked on them....Glad it wasn't my bike.

Does a Brompton need much, if any, shop prep. From what I've seen they leave the factory fully assembled, folded & boxed. Customers in many places are used to buying stuff in sealed boxes having seen a sample of the item. It would be quite easy to have a few "standard" models/colours with an option on more bespoke options to order (or maybe leave the tricky ones like that to the independents).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote:Does a Brompton need much, if any, shop prep. From what I've seen they leave the factory fully assembled, folded & boxed.

Above link says it includes being supplied Click & Collect, which I assume means ready to ride.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

equal opportunities employer finds workforce willing to work for peanuts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Brilliant Brucey :D :D :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

John1054 wrote:I'm so glad that I bought my Brompton from Ben at Kinetics. He's worth more than any potential discount at Halfords :D

While Ben's core business appears to revolve significantly around Bromptons, he actually lost his formal Brompton dealership years ago, and Kinetics isn't a place you go to buy a stock Brommie any more (mine dates from the turn of the century when you could do that, Bromptons and Bromtopton dealers were a rarity and when the shop was more like a, umm, shop, as opposed to a metalwork shop in a light industrial unit as it is now). What you can get there is any amount of custom fettling, and you don't need to be a Brompton dealer to do that, you need to know how to modify stuff.

If all you want is an M3L in one of Brompton's standard colours I don't see why wouldn't save a few quid if you could. If, a few years down the line, it turns out you'd like an 8-14 speed hub, disc brakes,an elegant shade of something different and quite possibly retractable hydrofoils then Ben's your man, wherever the base bike came from.

He rebuilt and repainted mine last year, good as a new one for less than half the price, plus it's still my original Brom with its soul still there, but if I had just replaced it there'd be no particular reason not just to tick boxes online. I know the bike and I know what I want and there'd be little added value from a dealer.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Or at least claims to, but it might be as untrue as other claims on Tredz's website to supply various parts have been (going back well before Half odds ownership, but it seems to have got no better).

You may well be correct but I can only go as I find. I admit not to have tried to purchase parts: only accessories.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I didn't realise that Bromptons were always RRP. I bought mine from my LBS where I normally get 10% off everything apart from labour. Full price came as a surprise. This was rubbed in when I met a guy who said that Evans were throwing in free big front bag which is £100+. I wonder if Halfords will do free extras.

Nonetheless, would probably have bought from my LBS anyway as I value them, their service and their always available helpfulness. Not to mention only about ¼ mile from where I live.
Last edited by simonhill on 18 Oct 2018, 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

simonhill wrote: I wonder if Halfords will do free extras.

I wonder if Halfords will honour the Cycling UK and British Cycling discounts, I don't know if the small print allows them exclusions, what I've seen doesn't.
dickcoe

Post by dickcoe »

If Halfords buy out evans as suggested by cycling weekly would they not automatically become agents as are evans
mjr

Post by mjr »

dickcoe wrote:If Halfords buy out evans as suggested by cycling weekly would they not automatically become agents as are evans

It depends on the detail of the partnership contract between Brompton and Evans. This may be another reason why Brompton would want to sign a new deal with Half odds sooner rather than later, as maybe that will contain language overriding the Evans deal if H buy them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

If Halfords buy out evans as suggested by cycling weekly would they not automatically become agents as are evans

If they do then it will make things interesting round our way as both halfords and Evans have opened brand new stored right next door to each other!
PH

Post by PH »

Didn't take long, Brompton display filling the window of the Derby Cycle Republic. I was just riding past so didn't have a proper look, but the prominence given to them suggests it's going to be more than just another brand they stock.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

It now looks rather as if Brompton saw the Evans collapse coming and took evasive action.

A quick look at Brompton's UK dealer list shows that about a quarter of its UK outlets are branches of Evans. Given Evans's concentration of branches in London, which must be the prime market for Brompton within the UK, I'm guessing that the chain accounts for more than 25% of Brompton's home sales.

Last week SportsDirect bought Evans out of administration and promptly announced that it expected to close at least half the stores. Looking at SportsDirect's track record (anyone remember Field & Trek?) I suspect that the remaining branches will be dumbed down, starting with the phasing out of the repair and servicing side of the business, then an exodus of experienced staff, then the gradual elimination of high-end bike brands and their replacement with whatever SD can buy cheap and slap one of their own brand names onto. Look out for MuddyFox bikes [shudder] coming to an Evans near you soon. More branches will be closed and sold off. Compared to the SportsDirect Evans of the future, Halfords may look like a premium cycle shop. Even if SD wants to keep the Brompton dealerships, Brompton may not wish to be associated with it and in any case the Evans chain will be a fraction of its former size.

Though the UK is only about 20% of Brompton's market it's still significant for them, so I imagine they were looking for ways to avoid a sudden drop in sales.