City centre cycling ban

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

City centre cycling ban

Post by Grandad »

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cyclists-branded-dangerous-selfish-councillor-bikes-banned-city-centre-397500

Having seen the way some idiots ride through a local pedestrianised area my inclination is to support such a ban
meic

Re: City centre cycling ban

Post by meic »

By the same logic and on the same grounds we should ban all cars, everywhere.
I bet there has already been somebody killed by a car in Worcester this year, rather than it just being thought to be a matter of time before it happens.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

Grandad wrote:https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cyclists-branded-dangerous-selfish-councillor-bikes-banned-city-centre-397500

Having seen the way some idiots ride through a local pedestrianised area my inclination is to support such a ban

That's silly because the idiots will ride through anyway and reckless cycling is already an offence anyway. The only people harmed by such bans are the law-abiding cyclists that we should be encouraging!

I agree with meic. Applying the same policy to motoring would never happen. Double standards and politics of envy at their worst.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Worcester ̶w̶e̶l̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ bans considerate cycling :( .
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Grandad wrote:https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cyclists-branded-dangerous-selfish-councillor-bikes-banned-city-centre-397500

Having seen the way some grandads behave....

You ban the bad behaviour (which, by the way is already covered under existing legislation) not the activity.

I've noticed that all the shoplifting in Worcester is carried out by people who were breathing at the time, so we are going to ban breathing...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

28 people were killed in Worcestershire on the roads in 2017.

Apparently the main cause is bad drivers.

Whoda thunk?

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/16 ... ata-shows/
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Whoda thunk?

Not Worcestershire Country Council cabinet member for highways Councillor Alan Amos, I suspect.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Such a ban is very disappointing. Worcester's street layout is such that the pedestrianised streets are enclosed by two basically unrideable A roads - Deansway to the west, City Walls Road to the east.

This means there is no safe north-south route within the city centre. You can ride the shared-use riverside path on the west side, or the canal and St Paul's Street on the east, but they're 800 metres away from each other.

But is it really new? I thought (and I'm a frequent visitor to Worcester - we moor our boat there) that the pedestrianised zone was already banned to bikes. From the original Worcester News report, which Cycling Weekly has inexpertly rephrased, it looks like this is just reinforcing the existing ban in the face of suggestions that it should be repealed.

Incidentally, Alan Amos sounds like an... "interesting" character: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Amos
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Well I wasn't going to ride there anyway, just another reason not to.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
boliston

Post by boliston »

these types of cycling ban seem pointless as you often see motorised vehicles using the areas with a cycling ban - my local high street is pedestrianised with 'no cycling' but motor vehicles often use it to access parking for shops and offices which makes a mockery of having a cycling ban (which is generally ignored)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I wouldn't expect to ride at much more than walking pace through such places. There are no real traffic rules in place and pedestrians assume they are at no risk of a vehicular collision. Allowing cyclists to speed through - and I've seen idiots out of the saddle sprinting through such an area weaving in between pedestrians just shouldn't be allowed.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote:I wouldn't expect to ride at much more than walking pace through such places. There are no real traffic rules in place and pedestrians assume they are at no risk of a vehicular collision. Allowing cyclists to speed through - and I've seen idiots out of the saddle sprinting through such an area weaving in between pedestrians just shouldn't be allowed.

Regardless of whether cycling is allowed, sprinting while weaving through pedestrians is not allowed but almost no-one enforces it. I think it would be even simpler for traffic police to enforce because they can simply instruct riders to ride at jogging pace through town and then continuing to speed would be failing to comply with police directing traffic.

Anyway, if no-one enforces the traffic law, adding more regulation on top to also ban the law-abiding is absurd and ridiculous.
Last edited by mjr on 21 Oct 2018, 6:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Seems to be the age old problem of just a few idiots riding bikes in a careless way, and which gives all cyclist the bad name, and a ban.

Not really sure what the answer is, maybe the Tory government needs to stop reducing police numbers, get more bobbies back on the beat, and perhaps on police bicycles (?)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

During the 10.30 to 16.30 pedestrian only time, I always walk through Worcester pushing my bike. I am however appalled at the bad behaviour of some cyclists and the speeds the go in an area with a lot of wandering pedestrians.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I used to know Worcester well many years ago :wink:
I think there might be space for a two way cycle lane (3 m wide, max 10 kmh)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies