Arthritis and Cycling Setup

scarlvet

Arthritis and Cycling Setup

Post by scarlvet »

Hi All

Another 61 year old with recently diagnosed arthritis of the hip (severe in left, early days in the right) and some degenerative changes in lower spine.

I am used to cycling between 30 miles and 60 miles in a day's ride; on tours, I will do this for up to a week with moderately loaded panniers. I intend to keep cycling and hope to maintain the 40-50 mile distance as long as I can.

Does anyone know how the bike setup can assist with this condition? E.g. Should the saddle be moved forward to reduce impingement when the hip joint is fully flexed? Should I swap my standard riding saddle for a touring saddle? Should I ditch the road bike for hybrid?

Any input welcome!

Many thanks,

Richard
reohn2

Re: Arthritis and Cycling Setup

Post by reohn2 »

I have/had similar condition(s) until one replacement hip(right) still have Arthritis in lower spine and beginnings in left hip joint.
I don't recommend moving the saddle but found a shorter stem and lifting the handlebars higher relieved stress on hips and lower back,I currently ride with the tops of drop bars 45mm higher than the saddle and a 20mm shorter stem.It also releives stress on Arthritic shoulder joints too :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
willcee

Post by willcee »

Been there, just back home after my 1st op on the left hip friday past, up until then i had been getting out for 30 + miiles, and 65 last week no discomfort on the bike just watched carefully getting aboard and off again, yes i 'm using E power on a self build midmotored Bafang on my winter Merckx, physio who had helped me for the previous 5 years suggested a wider saddle, i used to use Rolls & Regal, now on wider Berthoud & Brooks B17 , my issue left side was pain to the outside of the joint not inner as most arthritic hips are, and thats how my right is the inner groin pain.. First op so far success, bloody stiff sore and feel very vulnerable , getting on with these issues and hoping with Physios advice to be back aboard my steeds in 7 weeks time.. so good luck with yours.. and agree with previous posts shorter stem higher bars...will
scarlvet

Post by scarlvet »

Hi Guys, thank you very much for the replies. My physiotherapist is going to put me in touch with a bike technician who is used to working with injured and rehabilitating cyclists - I will let you know how I get on. :) R
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Will
Do the walking therapy twice a day and once the wound is healed and swelling goes down you'll feel like a new man :)

Get well soon!
W H Auden
willcee

Post by willcee »

reohn2, question for you.. how long before the swelling disappears, thats my only real issue currently, research has given me to understand that while I may be able to get back aboard a bike 6/8 weeks in the real healing inside is still going on and could be up to 12 months on before i have the old strength back in my left leg.
I'm walking as instructed but not yet feeling like stressing anything in exercises, I do the swinging and the heel slides and side raises..steps are no problem... One physio i spoke with in the ward said, listen to your body... you'll know when to get back on the bike.. will
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

willcee wrote:reohn2, question for you.. how long before the swelling disappears, thats my only real issue currently, research has given me to understand that while I may be able to get back aboard a bike 6/8 weeks in the real healing inside is still going on and could be up to 12 months on before i have the old strength back in my left leg.
I'm walking as instructed but not yet feeling like stressing anything in exercises, I do the swinging and the heel slides and side raises..steps are no problem... One physio i spoke with in the ward said, listen to your body... you'll know when to get back on the bike.. will

It's early days yet and I agree with the physio you'll know when,don't forget although the op is very routine for the medical profession,it's not routine for those who have it done.
The body's been through,and still going though a huge trauma,and is still healing,it takes time,you'll get there :wink:

PS,it's worth the wait :D
W H Auden
willcee

Post by willcee »

REOHN2...thats really it in a bloody nutshell.. routine for the surgeon and the recovery left to the patient and we know we aren't all the same..that said i'm a fit 67 y,old bit like that Farmer guy you described in your blog on your own op and recovery..but the one thing i lack and always have is patience!! and just now its a steep curved climb!!.. will
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

Yeah, I've just turned 65 I have arthritis in my right hip .I gave up eating wheat 3 or4 years ago and it seems to have helped massively ...I bake some real 100% wholemeal dwarf bread now and again when I feel the need ,and enjoy it immensely . I have recently taken up cycling again , bought a second hand MTB and buzzed about on it in the remote Cretan village where I live . The hills killed me .So I converted it into an E bike with a kit from China ...so far so good ... I developed a lower back pain thing ,so I raised the bars and that has made the whole thing much much more comfortable.. now I try to use the bike as much as poss and aim for 10 miles a day ,...to my local shops and back maybe just out for a couple of hours with my camera ...
Greggo66

Post by Greggo66 »

I have been given advice suggesting the higher the saddle, the better..simply to stop end of range hip flexion aggravating my pain cuasing that pinching sensation. Hope it can help someone else