Rivaroxiban - side effects

foxyrider

Rivaroxiban - side effects

Post by foxyrider »

Some of you will recall that I had a serious DVT incident last year one result of which was a prescription for a daily 'holding' dose of Rivaroxiban. Whilst i've recovered about as much as i'm going to, the RVX has been an ongoing fixture of daily life.

Speaking to various friends etc who have but put on RVX for various reasons, we have all suffered with similar issues - to moot, swelling of lower leg/ankles, uncertain cause pains, requirement to pee in the night (when not previously a thing), unpredictable cramping. My GP was aware of the tendency for swelling but could throw no light on the other issues. I've stuck with it though and put up with these side issues.

That is until a fortnight ago. It wasn't intentional but I missed a dose and then decided to see what happened for a couple of weeks without RVX. It has been a real eye opener - i've had minimal swelling, the night time peeing has stopped, even the cramping has abated.

Given the RVX was intended as 'insurance' against an already low chance of recurrence (the experts reckon a reduction from 4% to maybe 3%). I'm almost decided not to restart this pill popping. I know that RVX is a useful and effective drug but I can't help feeling that for me the pluss's are outweighed by the minus's.

Anyone have any experience of RVX, its side effects and coming off it?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
leftpoole

Re: Rivaroxaban - side effects

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
Amongst other medication I too take Rivaroxaban. I have been taking it for three or four Years with no ill effect.
I used to take another pill which made my lower legs swell dreadfully. The cause was Amlodipine one of my BP tablets.
I take the medication because I have suffered not one but two massive multiple Pulmonary Embolisms.
I suffer with recurrent problems and make the most of life when I can.
Best,
John
JohnI

Re: Rivaroxiban - side effects

Post by JohnI »

I was on it for 3 months and came off a few weeks ago. Luckily I didn't have any side effects at all, and was able to build my fitness up again fairly quickly - I was recovering from a Pulmonary Embolism that developed after falling off my mountain bike and having my leg in a splint for a few weeks. I don't know if the effects may vary depending on the dose and/or how long you need to be on the medication.

Cheers,

John
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I've been on Rivarox. for 3 years now after being 'promoted' from clopidogrel. (I'm now in permanent AF after two failed ablations.) No discernible side-effects for me, either. Even the excessive bleeding I was expecting from minor scratches etc. hasn't been an issue.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

A shortcut for these things...

There is an organisation called the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) who license drugs and products

They also retain details of these drugs including Patient Information Leaflets(PILs) that you usually get in the packet, but also teh Summaries of product characteristics (SPCs), the bits you don't get to see

If you go to the MHRA website you can type in the medicine and access the information

Works for any drug licence in the UK
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Until a year or two ago, anybody could access the "British National Formulary" website (affectionately known as BNF) for accurate up to date information.
Now, its a question of registering and paying, which I don't do as I have a couple of family members in health professions whose places of work register and pay.
Last time I wanted to look, NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) was free and easy to access; its all about treatment outcomes rather than just side-effects, but worth a look if you are interested in your treatment. (and I think you should be...)
nez

Post by nez »

I couldn’t get the inr right on the warfarin until I found buried in the small type an admonition against cod liver oil tabs, which I take or at least took. Elsewhere it gets blamed for atherosclerosis. I’d rather have swollen ankles but am not offered a choice.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I couldn’t get the inr right on the warfarin until I found buried in the small type an admonition against cod liver oil tabs, which I take or at least took. Elsewhere it gets blamed for atherosclerosis. I’d rather have swollen ankles but am not offered a choice.

Hello,
I had similar problems.
I ASKED for another medication. I was offered a list! I chose and was told that I had chosen well for my condition. I have no problems with this medication.
Ask your Doctor as I did.
Regards,
John