Nominations for most hostile UK town for cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mark R

Nominations for most hostile UK town for cycling

Post by Mark R »

I nominate Walsall

Never cycled there but drove there today (Sunday). Couldn't help being shocked by the uber hostile dual carrigeway one-way systems and the huge multi exit junctions.

Even on Sunday numerous motons were driving aggressively and jostling for position as they pointlessly accelerated and braked between endless sets of traffic lights.

Imagine having to navigate this no-mans-land on a bicycle.... Image

I bet the air pollution around these roads is absolutely horrendous.

I'm sure there are nice bits but to my eyes central Walsall looks like the quintessential example of failed, car-centric urban planning

Are there worse towns than this?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Nominations for most hostile UK town for cycling

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps Walsall could be nominated with the rest of the West Midlands

Worcester has been discussed here recently, or Coventry with the awful ring road, or Leeds, Motorway City of the Seventies :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nothing like a really negative post to encourage cyclists to join us ............ :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Well I wouldn't be encouraging anyone I cared about to cycle across THAT junction.....how do you see it?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There must be hundreds of examples.

I seem to recall mentioning Haywards Heath - near where we live - in a rather negative light, some time ago. But I'm not so sure I ought to use the word 'hostile'. Just that provision for, and recognition of, cyclists is - perhaps - rather inadequate.

Here is a particularly awkward junction especially for inexperienced cyclists wanting to turn right, ahead.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Bradford
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Nothing like a really negative post to encourage cyclists to join us ............ :roll:

It is in the Tea Shop section for non-cycling matters :?
Is Sheffield good or bad? Has a lot of hills, +1
I read about cycling first responders there, they rode up to the tops of hills, then waited for calls, could ride down and reach incident locations very quickly
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I believe in a 6th sense... that creepy tingle on. the back of your neck when you are uncomfortable with something. If I get this about an area or place then I leave as quick as I can.

I have cycled through some rough areas in London, Glasgow Manchester and Liverpool, but the only place this has kicked in on full is Annan in Scotland!

Don't ask me why as I do not know. I had planned it as a lunch stop, but just felt so uncomfortable I left as soon as I could.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:I believe in a 6th sense... that creepy tingle on. the back of your neck when you are uncomfortable with something. If I get this about an area or place then I leave as quick as I can.

I have cycled through some rough areas in London, Glasgow Manchester and Liverpool, but the only place this has kicked in on full is Annan in Scotland!

Don't ask me why as I do not know. I had planned it as a lunch stop, but just felt so uncomfortable I left as soon as I could.

You should go there again, maybe it was not the place but a person who happened to be nearby that you perceived
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is Sheffield good or bad? Has a lot of hills, +1
I read about cycling first responders there, they rode up to the tops of hills, then waited for calls, could ride down and reach incident locations very quickly

When i cycle through or go into Sheffield i keep to the river and canal paths .... Sheffield is the Venice of the north ... 7 hills and all that... without the cruise ships of course ....
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mark R wrote:Well I wouldn't be encouraging anyone I cared about to cycle across THAT junction.....how do you see it?

Hostile implies aggression ... THAT junction is a disaster of planning from what i can see, but it was not done to deliberately cause injury .... Although it sure is going too ....!
Be more Mike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cunobelin wrote:I believe in a 6th sense... that creepy tingle on. the back of your neck when you are uncomfortable with something. If I get this about an area or place then I leave as quick as I can.

:lol: :lol: The people in Annan are lovely when you get to know them. You didn’t miss out on a good lunch though only the chippy is worthwhile. You can leave your bike in the sit ootery around the back. Best lock it though :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mansfield, which I think was the first council evil enough to use a PSPO legally-dodgily to ban cycling in the centre, forcing cyclists onto horrible dual carriageway A roads or the footways with paint&signs along side, over bridges with zero radius corners and so on. Then the council hired the Tour of Britain to visit and attract unsuspecting cyclists to their grinder. The Tour was allowed to cycle in the centre, of course. The Tour didn't make repeal of the ban a condition because [rude word removed] ordinary cyclists.

Honourable mention for Sheffield and not prioritising repairs of potholes on roads that are cycle routes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:Honourable mention for Sheffield and not prioritising repairs of potholes on roads that are cycle routes.

Never mind the potholes.... it's the extensive areas of cobbles that does my head in ... "The hell of the North" could move to Sheffield .. :)
Be more Mike.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Perhaps Walsall could be nominated with the rest of the West Midlands

Worcester has been discussed here recently, or Coventry with the awful ring road, or Leeds, Motorway City of the Seventies :?

Coventry wasn't that bad when I was there a while ago. It was Warwickshire where things got worse viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102748
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.