Puncture Sealant

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
groberts

Puncture Sealant

Post by groberts »

My step mother has just got an e-bike (and loving it) but is worried about punctures.

Don't use it myself but can anyone recommend a puncture sealant that would be easy to use and work well to 'get you home'.

Thanks
Greystoke

Re: Puncture Sealant

Post by Greystoke »

I use green slime from wilko, it's about £6 for 2 innertubes. Last night I ran over some hedge cuttings and one made a lot of noise as it went round with the tyre for a while but the tyre's still up so it works.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Vitoria seal & inflate works well. I’ve had it in one tyre for over a year after a puncture and still good.
Power to the pedals
mjr

Post by mjr »

Zefal and Aldi bikemate work but are very messy (some escapes after use, as you disconnect the can from the valve) so pack some nitrile gloves with it. I doubt it will seal anything that the Slime inner tubes wouldn't. The drawback of the Slime is that you're using heavier tubes all the time, which can make cycling more work and less fun, but maybe an e-bike would make that less of a concern.

Would practising fixing punctures alleviate the worry? Ideally, doing it the nice way, repairing in place, not the ripping the wheel out and waving it around while showing how dextrous one is at removing tubes and strong-fingered one is at refitting tyres.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
groberts

Post by groberts »

OK thanks, don't like the sound of Zefal etc. + at nearly 80 years of age changing the tyre is not an option for her! It needs to be clean and easy to use.

Is this the Vittoria sealant referred to?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-pit-st ... qsEALw_wcB
roadster1

Post by roadster1 »

groberts wrote:OK thanks, don't like the sound of Zefal etc. + at nearly 80 years of age changing the tyre is not an option for her! It needs to be clean and easy to use.

I don't think any sealant can reliably remove the 'option' 100% of the time.
Maybe a case for solid tyres?
meic

Post by meic »

Or a mobile phone with her loving son's number in it. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
jezer

Post by jezer »

groberts wrote:OK thanks, don't like the sound of Zefal etc. + at nearly 80 years of age changing the tyre is not an option for her! It needs to be clean and easy to use.

Yes, that’s the one. Not cheap but possibly a bit less if you shop around. I have arthritis in my thumbs and find refitting tyres difficult.
Power to the pedals
mjr

Post by mjr »

jezer wrote:

Yes, that’s the one. Not cheap but possibly a bit less if you shop around. I have arthritis in my thumbs and find refitting tyres difficult.

Kool stop bead jack helps putting tyres back on, plus wider tyres typically found on ebikes are usually easier anyway.

Reports on that vittoria are mixed and I'm not sure if it only works on Presta valves. The design looks better than zefal: shorter tube means less slime to depressurise on disconnection.

I guess the only 100% solution are those solid tyres like Tannus but they ride very differently and are pretty expensive IIRC.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I have only had one puncture on my tubeless, I used Stans sealant , it did seal the hole, but not until most of the air had gone. I pumped it up to around 40lbs and limped home, but no more air had come out and I was able to fully inflate the tire and carry on using it.