hebridean cycle way Bike transfer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cumbria

hebridean cycle way Bike transfer

Post by cumbria »

My son and I are ending our Hebridean Cycle Ride Thursday 23rd May 2019.
Booked the Heb Shuttle for Friday 24th May 2019 From Stornoway to take us back for the Barra Ferry to Oban. Anyone want to share the travel and cost of the bike transfer mini bus?
jadakabj

Re: hebridean cycle way Bike transfer

Post by jadakabj »

hello,

oddly enough I was recently holidaying with a couple who nearly did the Hebridean way last year and it inspired me to consider it myself (wife and I)

absolutely nothing planned or even investigated yet but if things progress I might well be in touch. I know 1st come 1st served so don't turn down any firm offers!

best wishes, John
cumbria

Post by cumbria »

Hi John
Thanks for contacting me at present there is only the two of us.
If you decide to do the trip suggest book accommodation early as it is filling up fast for next year

Cheers
Andy
jadakabj

Post by jadakabj »

Hello,

I now know that the 23/24 won't work for me, sorry.
Am I right in thinking that if 1 group of 4 book the shuttle it is £270 (split 4 ways) but if 4 individuals book a ride they each pay £270?

I'll be canvassing my friends for ride partners - if I go ahead!

Good luck, John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I just looked at their website https://www.hebshuttle.co.uk/bike-transfer/

and it certainly seems that each separate 'group' is charged the full group fare. As groups are 1-4, it seems that 4 individuals would pay £270 each. To quote from the website "Multiple groups may share the same transfer but not the fare."

Wow!
cumbria

Post by cumbria »

jadakabj wrote:Hello,

I now know that the 23/24 won't work for me, sorry.
Am I right in thinking that if 1 group of 4 book the shuttle it is £270 (split 4 ways) but if 4 individuals book a ride they each pay £270?

I'll be canvassing my friends for ride partners - if I go ahead!

Good luck, John

Thanks John
Yes please keep in mind that if you book as a group the cost is £270.00 so for example 4 people the cost would be £67.50 per rider, but for individuals the cost is £270.00 and you may be sharing the same transport with another group on the day you still pay £270.00
Enjoy your 2019 rides
Andy
johnjo

Post by johnjo »

Just out of interest, My friend and I were planning this ride for next year around end of May beginning of June and returning to the train afterwards was posing a problem. We wanted to travel to Oban by train from Glasgow to start and return via Inverness. Eventually we found a great solution. A local haulage company will take our bikes back from Stornoway to Glasgow for £50-60 and we will get the bus from Ullapool with our bus passes. The joys of being pensioners !
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mmmm.... I've got my bus pass -- you've given me some ideas!
jadakabj

Post by jadakabj »

English bus passes aren't valid in Scotland.
jadakabj

Post by jadakabj »

Getting back to the original discussion...

If one was a Billy no Mates, would it be reasonable to cycle North to South at less cost than a solo shuttle? I know it's probably into the wind but having looked at the route one could enjoy a slightly different route down and up.

My original thinking was: arrive in Stornoway late, overnight stop. Early Shuttle to Barra and cycle back to Stornoway.

But for £270 I hope I could get 2 nights B & B to cycle down to my original start point? Time isn't an issue - retired : )

John
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

You could stay in the Gatliff Trust Hostels at Rhenigidale (a little hilly getting there!), Berneray (might be busy, but a fantastic location) and Howmore for less than £60 total, leaving you plenty to spare for food and tipple of your choice!

Oh and I wouldn't count on the wind to be blowing South to North, I've ridden on the islands a lot over the last few years and there always seems to be a headwind and the headwinds there can be something else. It is the only place I have ever been literally blown off my bike.

A wonderful part of the world though, take your time and enjoy it. If the weather is bad and you are in one of the hostels, just stay and extra night (or two), you get to meet some very interesting people.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What sort of people does one meet? I remember meeting lots of English-speaking foreigners in hostels in the 1980s :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

In guess it depends when you go, but over the years various people stand out...
I once stayed a couple of nights at Berneray and had a just retired touring cyclist from Newcastle and a young German for company. The German guy had an amazing collection of very light walking and camping gear that kept us entertained for an afternoon until a very fit group of lads from Glasgow turned up with a huge selection of food and wine which provided a different sort of entertainment! On another occasion I spent a very wet day at Rhenigidale with a guy who had worked on the hostel many times over the years fixing things and improving it, along with a Student from Maryland on her first trip outside of the State. Then there was the guy on holiday from Stornoway he worked in the factory that produces the "Warp" for Harris Tweed and his idea of a holiday was to travel to South Uist to fish and drink! He was usually up at dawn and asleep by tea time having got steadily drunk over the afternoon. By far the most exotic to my (much) younger self was the guy I met at Rhenigidale almost 40 years ago, he had taken up residence in the then very basic hostel (think tilly lamps, a double burner stove and only cold water) that had no road access, he was a Swede dodging national service!

But in general I've just had many interesting conversations around the fire and dinner table often learning a lot about the islands and getting some inspiration for further exploration. The only real downside has probably been the snoring!
jadakabj

Post by jadakabj »

I now have my wife and 2 other couples interested so there might be 4 (or 6) of us travelling.

Which brings me to the next point: Cumbria reminded me that accommodation is likely to book up early. My investigation so far makes me think accommodation is few and far between. So how do I enquire about availability for uncertain numbers and dates? I'm sure the landlords won't want to be pestered too much with "what about..."
And if we turn up at one of the Gatliff Hostels are we likely to be turned away? They say they try not to but I recognise they only have a finite number of beds and although 1 might squeeze in somewhere 4 (or 6) might be more difficult.

I'm going to have to pin everyone down a bit then make enquiries. I suppose I'm just thinking aloud here, the answers are self evident, but any opinion welcome!

Thanks, John
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

You can't book the Gatliff trust hostels and there will not be anyone there to turn you away (a local who keeps an eye of the hostel will call in at some point to say hello and collect money). There is a chance that there may not be a bed available (but I've never seen them full), in which case you may end up having to sleep in the kitchen/common room or on the floor. Not ideal but I'm sure you can probably squeeze in somehow and it will probably only be for the one night. Of course if you want to be certain of a bed best to book a B&B or take a tent.