Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

where's there's a blame.........theres a claim !!!!!!!!
mjr

Re: <title deleted>

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Punishment and correction - now if someone says something you don't like they should be punished or corrected... I don't like what the chap said as you can probably tell from my first post in this thread but I'd never say he should be punished or corrected.

Why do you keep on rephrasing this as if it's merely "don't like" rather than grossly offensive? Are you one of those who thinks the Equality Act is "nanny state"?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Graham wrote:I'll let the title stand as is.

We can make our own judgements about the choice of words and how they reflect upon the author.

A general observation though. Our brains seem to be pretty good at deciding where to pay attention and where it may reasonably assume that no special attention is needed. Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?

Ironically, my initial choice of words in response to Mr Clickbait's patronising tosh would have been heavily moderated. Heavens, I might have said something offensive.

And I agree with PH - moderate or comment. Come to think of it, why doesn't this forum have separate super user accounts for mods?
meic

Post by meic »

bigjim wrote:So the old lady gets the £120 victim surcharge. Who gets the £337,000?

I dont think that the victim surcharge ever goes to the victim of that particular crime.
The injury was four years ago, I assume she has received quite an amount of compensation ages ago, either through a civil court or by mutual agreement.
The £337,000 was two fines, so going to the state and then the court fees too.

Interestingly sometimes the victim of the crime is made to pay the victim surcharge!!
That's UK law for you.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Punishment and correction - now if someone says something you don't like they should be punished or corrected... I don't like what the chap said as you can probably tell from my first post in this thread but I'd never say he should be punished or corrected.

Why do you keep on rephrasing this as if it's merely "don't like" rather than grossly offensive? Are you one of those who thinks the Equality Act is "nanny state"?

Ok I'll rephrase - just because you find something offensive doesn't mean that a person should be, to use your own words,punished or corrected. Who do you thing you are? What makes you the arbiter of what others can or cannot say?

I dislike the stupid phrase "nanny state" though I guess you don't as you seem to use the expression freely and for no apparent reason.

If you believe that the contents of a post here is illegal under the Equality act then report it to the authorities. Having it removed means the author won't receive the punishment you think they should receive. You wouldn't get very far though - the equality act is there to tackle things that matter not the ramblings of an ignoramus posted on an obscure web forum.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)

I work in a Steelworks and find it strange that other blokes refer to each other as "love" :| "ahreyt luv"?
My wife is from Nottingham and her family use "Duck" all the time in conversation.

I find it strange that the OP was reported(by at least one member who admits it).In fact I find it strange that posts on Forums are reported full stop :roll: I'm sure the OP didn't mean anything malicious by it?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Derbyshire too I think
Bought the Grauniad at Hartshead Moor Services:
- Hello love
- One pound fifty please love
- Thanks love
How long is it since you last bought the Grauniad? :(
Graun fp001.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

100%JR wrote:I find it strange that the OP was reported(by at least one member who admits it).In fact I find it strange that posts on Forums are reported full stop :roll: I'm sure the OP didn't mean anything malicious by it?
Suit yourself. I like to think of this forum as a showcase for the views of an (admittedly small) number of people who share an interest in cycling. It is after all a public forum. As such, there are some boundaries of common decency that should not be crossed. Hence a certain amount of moderation is needed at times.

I appreciate the fact that the moderation here is relatively 'light touch'. Can we leave it at that?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

661-Pete wrote:I appreciate the fact that the moderation here is relatively 'light touch'. Can we leave it at that?

Light touch? :lol: :lol:
Having had several posts moderated I think the Moderating on this Forum is the most heavy handed of any Forum I've used!(I have had this discussion with Si,Graham and Vorpal recently).
I wasn't having a dig at you personally merely pointing out that at least you admit to reporting this thread.
661-Pete

Re: Moderation?

Post by 661-Pete »

100%JR wrote:Light touch? :lol: :lol:
Having had several posts moderated I think the Moderating on this Forum is the most heavy handed of any Forum I've used!(I have had this discussion with Si,Graham and Vorpal recently).
Really? We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Another forum which I used to post on (SGL, if you want to know), had the most heavy-handed moderation I've ever experienced; at least, that was the situation at the time I was banned... :shock: . People were actively discouraged from posting anything off-topic from astronomy, even in their equivalent of the "Tea Shop". One member was castigated for posting about his recent visit to the dentist. I added a post mentioning that I too had had a recent painful 'experience'. Both of us were pounced upon. That wouldn't happen here! :D

I was banned from there for having a private dig at the moderators. They saw fit to make their equivalent of our "Using the Forum - request help" section, semi-private. In that section, one could only see one's own posts and replies by moderators: not anyone else's posts. I argued that this would lead to a lot of duplication. Seeing as my post was only visible to Mods, I raised the 'tone' of my language a bit, got rather stroppy....

Oh well.... that's history now. :roll:

I wasn't having a dig at you personally merely pointing out that at least you admit to reporting this thread.
Thanks.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:[
Another forum which I used to post on (SGL, if you want to know), had the most heavy-handed moderation I've ever experienced; at least, that was the situation at the time I was banned... :shock: . People were actively discouraged from posting anything off-topic from astronomy, even in their equivalent of the "Tea Shop". One member was castigated for posting about his recent visit to the dentist. I added a post mentioning that I too had had a recent painful 'experience'. Both of us were pounced upon. That wouldn't happen here! :D

Yeah but aren't they all a bit moonstruck on there :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:[

Yeah but aren't they all a bit moonstruck on there :wink:

Well, I wasn't over the moon about it, I must say...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I don't think the lady should be sectioned. Yes, she was a bit careless and couldn't have been looking, but did the store erect a barrier around the hole while the flap was open?
I guess not and I'm sure if a kiddy fell down the hole the OP wouldn't be suggesting the child be taken into care.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Why do you keep on rephrasing this as if it's merely "don't like" rather than grossly offensive? Are you one of those who thinks the Equality Act is "nanny state"?

Ok I'll rephrase - just because you find something offensive doesn't mean that a person should be, to use your own words,punished or corrected. Who do you thing you are? What makes you the arbiter of what others can or cannot say?

Well, what makes you any better an authority? Who are we to contradict Jon Snow saying that this is an abusive use of such terms?

I dislike the stupid phrase "nanny state" though I guess you don't as you seem to use the expression freely and for no apparent reason.

I spy an alternative fact! I think I've used the phrase exactly once on this site, quoted above, for the reason above.

If you believe that the contents of a post here is illegal under the Equality act then report it to the authorities.

Not what I believe or wrote. I asked what you thought of it and you're sidestepping instead of answering.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Nothing like a little victim blaming ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom