eBike Conversions - Go on, show us yours!

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
pedals2slowly

Re: eBike Conversions - Go on, show us yours!

Post by pedals2slowly »

Is that the Malvern hills? If so it is a very steep ascent if I remember. :shock:

Yes - it's Worcestershire Beacon, made easy with the electric motor!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pedals2slowly wrote:
yakdiver wrote:My trike, I did myself use this site http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/
it works very well and keeps me on the road as my right knee starts to hurt on steep hills.

Did the same with ours - it's brilliant

Plus One, I cycled up there once with muscle power
Has the cafe been rebuilt? Is St Annes Well cafe still there?

PS
An excuse to mention two favourite books: Elgar the Cyclist
Black Swan Green, teenage life in Moel Bryn/Malvern
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

Finally got round to getting this conversion underway and been buzzing about on it all day. There's two or three other little jobs to do.

I'm going to weld up a little frame to extend he rear rack so I can tuck the control box under the seat, shorten all the cables I can and heatshrink the connections to keep out as much of the dust as I can, and FINALLY fit the brake sensors once they arrive. Its great fun. I think I've worked out how the PAS levels work: it's a bit disconcerting when the power cuts out when you reach the speed limits for each of the five levels. But I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Click thumbnails for full-sized image
willcee

Post by willcee »

Is it me?? has that frame been front ended?? I have never ever seen such a tucked under fork.. I have experience of lots of work on various machinery in the cycle world, and not a lot of experience with these so called FatBikes, but would think that the caster effect with such a lay out would be something to experience, no diss intended.. will
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think the fork should be turned 180°
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
willcee

Post by willcee »

Re last, NO.. Cable routing and disc & caliper etc is on the correct left fork leg. never seen any on the right side..nor would anyone with any engineering nouse have a caliper ahead of the disc on any front wheel.. will
RickH

Post by RickH »

willcee wrote:Re last, NO.. Cable routing and disc & caliper etc is on the correct left fork leg. never seen any on the right side..nor would anyone with any engineering nouse have a caliper ahead of the disc on any front wheel.. will

It isn't at all common but I have seen one of two. The argument is that, with vertical dropouts, braking forces push the axle into the dropouts where rear left is trying to force the axle out of the dropout.

An alternative, if you aren't going to go over to through axles, is to use a different orientation of dropout with a "conventional" brake position - my Kona Sutra has forward facing ones.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Del15476

Post by Del15476 »

It’s ok it is bent forward. I am going to order suspension forks I got the bike second hand and it never had working breaks. Just another thing I need to buy. It’s not been front ended the kids where probably just using it to stop At low speeds And with the weight of the heavy original front fat wheel it was easy to bend. No damage but thanks
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My retro fitted 15 year old Raleigh Pioneer.
My retro fitted 15 year old Raleigh Pioneer.
John
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

And now the Nihola Flex, got to keep rolling
Attachments
DSCF5739.jpg
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

My Long John style cargo bike fitted with a Heinzmann 36v motor and loaded up with recycling.

green cargo bike recycling.JPG
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

b1ke wrote:My Long John style cargo bike fitted with a Heinzmann 36v motor and loaded up with recycling.

green cargo bike recycling.JPG

I'm about to start work on a cargo bike which I intend to electrify. I was wondering how your set up works, particularly on hills. I'm thinking of fitting a Woosh 48V rear hub. Anything you can share with me of your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

iandusud wrote:I'm about to start work on a cargo bike which I intend to electrify. I was wondering how your set up works, particularly on hills. I'm thinking of fitting a Woosh 48V rear hub. Anything you can share with me of your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ian

I'm curious, you're concerned about hills but seem to have discounted mid drive... Is there a reason for this?
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I'm about to start work on a cargo bike which I intend to electrify. I was wondering how your set up works, particularly on hills. I'm thinking of fitting a Woosh 48V rear hub. Anything you can share with me of your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ian

I've been using this bike to transport around 25-30kg up what is probably a 15% hill and it's been ok. It cuts out when it gets too hot, but restarts after about 30 secs of cooling down.

The 36v has been enough to climb the hill with pedal assist. I haven't been out of breath on the ascent.

I've used Heinzmann before on two other bikes and been impressed. That said, this one now has an issue when it's on full drive (ie not Eco) where the battery readout suddenly drops to red and sometimes the motor cuts out, sometimes not. If anyone can shed any light on this issue, it would be appreciated.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

kwackers wrote:
iandusud wrote:I'm about to start work on a cargo bike which I intend to electrify. I was wondering how your set up works, particularly on hills. I'm thinking of fitting a Woosh 48V rear hub. Anything you can share with me of your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ian

I'm curious, you're concerned about hills but seem to have discounted mid drive... Is there a reason for this?

Hi Kwackers,

I haven't discounted mid-drive as it would be the best solution for hill climbing. However there other considerations that make a powerful hub drive attractive. Advantages of a hub drive are simplicity and cost. Disadvantages of mid-drive are cost, extra wear on drive train and limited gearing, particularly low gears. I'm thinking of Bafang where you are restricted to a single chainring, with a limited choice of sizes and all sorts of chainline problems using the the larger rear sprockets as I understand it. Vulnerability of the motor as it will have to sit underneath the main horizontal spar.

Cheers,

Ian