Shoulder Barged By Pedestrian On A Cycle Path

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Shoulder Barged By Pedestrian On A Cycle Path

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My regular route is on off road.
My altercations are now more likely on off road cycle paths.
Mostly dog walkers who do not control their dogs.
Ignore all communication in attempts to pass from behind them.
Protest that cyclist should not be there.
You are going to fast.
I Use bell but they ignore you because they can then justify blocking your path.

I have never as much as come close to contacting anyone physically except for when I was commuting home from school 45 years ago a gent walked off pavement straight in to my path, neither was hurt.
Squirrels are almost impossible to avoid especially in the dark.
I have had many dogs run after me some biting my feet so bounce off the bike and was nearly side swiped and downed last week by a dog crossing my path at speed with no warning.
I always cycle at the speed I can stop safely, two last rides on frosty roads at minus temps are precarious but I remain safe first.

Had several altercations with a particular dog for their dog chasing me on more than one occasion.
Ended with the owner saying they take no notice of the law with dogs in public place, that is keeping under control.

Its now come to a head where I ignore them completely hoping to not get into anymore altercations.
BUT last ride approached said person on cycle path head on, wet and leafy, small path in middle which I and person were sharing all was well and plenty space BUT at last moment when we came close and I had reduced my speed accordingly, said person shoulder barged me :shock:

This is the first time anyone has made attempt to touch me (well its second now) whilst I was on the move or stationary.

It was a deliberate barge.

I am not sure what to do now apart from report in case it escalates into something more serious.

The person is 65-70.

I stopped and said what was that for? Said person replied...."you would not give ground"

Well I did not need to as we not on same path we were avoiding each other or so I thought.

Sick to my back teeth of people in public spaces abusing me, for no reason other than being there.

I will report for my own safety and so police know whats going on.

Usual abuse and "We Know You" blah blah............"you should be certified" blah blah....................

But we all know when a car drives down a cycle path and assaults me on foot, then drives into me on foot..............dial 99 but police do not come and aren't interested at all.

Oh if you are missing they might just try and find you but risk of loss of life happening now..................fat chance you receive help.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Barks

Re: Shoulder Barged By Pedestrian On A Cycle Path

Post by Barks »

If it was a deliberate barge you should have dialled 999 and reported an assualt and if you are not actually hurt feign an injury like rib or something that medics can’t challenge directly so that it gets some attention by the police. I’m not saying that the police will be able to do anything (he says you says syndrome) but not to report it gives your protagonist the feeling that he is in the right somehow. In some way he needs to be made to realise that such behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated - I’m sure he will lie through his back teeth that somehow you initial the situation in some way, brazen that out or he will forever remain the bully boy. You might be surprised that he has a track record of such actions that the police already know about.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Had a similar situation with a dog walker who would have five or six dogs on long leashes and no control. Would get very abusive when asked to allow cyclists to pass.He was a paid dog walker

Fortunately Gosport Council listened and it was one of the reasons that they passed a bylaw that limits the number of dogs you can walk to 4

ublic spaces are for everyone to share, and we need to take action on the problems that exist. That's why we're reducing the number of dogs one person is allowed to walk from six to four.

My "friend" was one of those vehemently opposed to the rule, which had also defined the need for greater control of dogs and he had to carry more "poop scoopers" as well

Bumped in to him one day and thanked him because the video of his behaviour was part of the evidence that brought the action by the Council. He was NOT happy
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Barks wrote:If it was a deliberate barge you should have dialled 999 and reported an assualt and if you are not actually hurt feign an injury like rib or something that medics can’t challenge directly so that it gets some attention by the police. I’m not saying that the police will be able to do anything (he says you says syndrome) but not to report it gives your protagonist the feeling that he is in the right somehow. In some way he needs to be made to realise that such behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated - I’m sure he will lie through his back teeth that somehow you initial the situation in some way, brazen that out or he will forever remain the bully boy. You might be surprised that he has a track record of such actions that the police already know about.

Again helmet cams can help

Friend of mine did report to the Police, but they could / would not take action.

He then put posters along the route with a picture of the man and the Police phone number asking for witnesses.

The guy handed himself in!

He received a Caution
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

6 women hikers walking shoulder to shoulder along a forestry road with a ditch on either side would not give way. I just stopped and they had to move to get past me muttering abuse as they did so. I just laughed at them and “ thank you ladies” . That probably hurt them more than any abuse I could give.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Barks wrote:If it was a deliberate barge you should have dialled 999 and reported an assualt and if you are not actually hurt feign an injury like rib or something that medics can’t challenge directly so that it gets some attention by the police. I’m not saying that the police will be able to do anything (he says you says syndrome) but not to report it gives your protagonist the feeling that he is in the right somehow. In some way he needs to be made to realise that such behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated - I’m sure he will lie through his back teeth that somehow you initial the situation in some way, brazen that out or he will forever remain the bully boy. You might be surprised that he has a track record of such actions that the police already know about.

No, you should not do this.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ambodach wrote:6 women hikers walking shoulder to shoulder along a forestry road with a ditch on either side would not give way. I just stopped and they had to move to get past me muttering abuse as they did so. I just laughed at them and “ thank you ladies” . That probably hurt them more than any abuse I could give.

How stupid, exceptionally
I keep as far away from strangers as possible, walk on the right in the UK and single out if necessary
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Barks

Post by Barks »

Bonefishblues wrote:

No, you should not do this.

I agree entirely but then the indivivudaul should not be barging people people around and the police should be investigating alleged assaults. Barging into someone can very easily damage a rib cage even the individual not realising it at the time.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It was the piece I emboldened that I was taking issue with.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:It was the piece I emboldened that I was taking issue with.

Bold does not show on all screens. Try trimming the quote instead.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
althebike

Post by althebike »

When I got flattened by a car 3 years ago, it fractured a vertebrae. The police were called and spent all their time consoling the poor distraught motorist who was in tears.A policeman said, poor lady is upset, she thought she had passed you when she did her turn, it could have happened to anybody, and that was it, no action taken, other than be being carted off in an ambulance. It would not give me much optimism if I had to ring them to complain about an assault.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
Sick to my back teeth of people in public spaces abusing me, for no reason other than being there.

Don't know why you're have so many problems. It hasn't been my experience. Where off road do you ride and are the paths narrow?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
No path is not narrow.

I believe that these dog walkers do not want me or any cyclist there or maybe its just me :?

I also believe that the two cases, one of a car driving into me on a cycle path (also a single track road) and other of shoulder barge are connected as they probably speak to each other, same area.

But what to do except avoid the cycle paths altogether, then what's the point in having the cycle path.

When I am on a road I have been targeted by several cars driving within inches of my bars, same road and several mornings sometime twice in one week by same car :evil: :evil: :evil:

I now use the cycle path (wide 1M is that wide pavement) adjacent but only one way, for my own safety.
Now I use an off road cycle paths and peds want to bully and verbally abuse me just because I am a cyclist.

Its depressing.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pop a camera on the bars... then carry on riding responsibly - take the lane, move early, give warning (the voice is a valid audible warning device)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cycle path or shared path?
You seem to be attracting incidents lately?Someone or persons with a grudge against cyclists in general?