Paying for a bike in cash - why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ChrisF

Paying for a bike in cash - why?

Post by ChrisF »

I've recently sold a bike via eBay. Because buyer and seler live at opposite ends of of the country, but we're both travelling round a bit for various reasons, we've decided to meet at a motorway services in the middle. But now the buyer says he wants to pay in cash; I'd prefer a bank transfer (which is easy to do now 'on-the-spot' with a smartphone).
I'm a bit apprehensive about doing a cash deal (about £1600) with an unknown guy in a mororway services! I'll ask him to bring proof of ID, and I'll prepare an invoice in case of money-laundering questions when I bank it, but should I take any other precautions?
But why do (legit) peopele want to pay large amounts in cash these days? I can't remember the last time I paid for anything more than £20 with cash.
Chris F, Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Re: Paying for a bike in cash - why?

Post by Bonefishblues »

You're right to be nervous. I have taken cash, but only on my home ground, as it were.
meic

Post by meic »

But why do (legit) peopele want to pay large amounts in cash these days?

Because they dont trust banks, they remember 2008, the interest rate sucks and they dont want the bank to profit from their money without sharing.
Because the "electronic money" doesnt actually exist. The cash at least does exist.
The £10,000 that somebody has in their bank account may only have as little as £900 existing in real money that everybody could go and get if they wanted it at the same time, like for example "The Great Brexit Disaster" that is foretold.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

If you're not happy with it, just say no.
OTOH I wouldn't have a clue how to do a bank transfer on my phone and wouldn't do one from home before seeing the bike. I bought a bike for cash and met the seller at a train station earlier this year, never occurred to me that it was anything other than normal. It's what we did all the time before the technology took over...
mjr

Post by mjr »

ChrisF wrote:I've recently sold a bike via eBay. Because buyer and seler live at opposite ends of of the country, but we're both travelling round a bit for various reasons, we've decided to meet at a motorway services in the middle. But now the buyer says he wants to pay in cash; I'd prefer a bank transfer (which is easy to do now 'on-the-spot' with a smartphone).
I'm a bit apprehensive about doing a cash deal (about £1600) with an unknown guy in a mororway services! I'll ask him to bring proof of ID, and I'll prepare an invoice in case of money-laundering questions when I bank it, but should I take any other precautions?
But why do (legit) peopele want to pay large amounts in cash these days? I can't remember the last time I paid for anything more than £20 with cash.

Maybe because an internet banking readout on the buyer's phone screen is too easy to fake and not everyone is set up to check their own account when mobile - although I guess that's more about concerns when selling than buying. I think the buyer has much more to worry about: stolen bikes, no-shows after payment and so on.

I'd probably ask for part-payment by bank transfer. Even a relatively trivial sum should give you some traceability if some bit of government decides to investigate it.

I think an invoice is a good idea, for both people, IMO. When I've bought bikes for cash (not £1600 yet, though), there's been some paper with both our names on. In the three most recent cases, I've collected from what I believe to be the seller's home and in one, they're a long-time member of this forum.

The other precaution I'd suggest is to be ready for both a no-show (for whatever reason, including honest problems like getting stuck in road closures) and an in-person attempt to haggle. Basically, be ready to take the bike with you on the rest of your journey, or at least to somewhere you could store it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The only problem I forsee with a large cash transaction such as the OP's is counterfeit notes,if the notes are legit(you could ask for it all in the new tenners you're worried obout it)I wouldn't have a problem with it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

fake notes are a big problem. The plastic ones seem less susceptible, but the old 20s and 50s are now the ones forgers go for.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've just sold a frame on ebay and, within my listing, I insisted on payment by PayPal before collection simply to avoid the purchaser saying he didn't like it or it's the wrong size.

In the days before t'internet I put an advert in 'the comic' advertising a hand-built frame with a full description, including size. I did a 200-mile round trip to Strensham services to meet up with the buyer just for me to open the boot and have him immediately say, "It looks a bit small. Sorry." :roll:
Last edited by Spinners on 5 Nov 2018, 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
hondated

Post by hondated »

Just a thought but anyone on here live near Chris ! If you do and have the time perhaps you could go with him.
Many years ago I did the same thing when I sold a nearly new mountain bike.
I can be too trusting but as soon as the fella arrived I could see it was going to be ok.
Not sure whether it works on the new notes but I used a special pen to check each note was ok.
It didn't cost a lot either.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Getting a witness would be good

Then all could go to the bank together and pay in the notes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The Clydesdale/Yorkshire Bank merged on 1st Nov. with Virgin Money. The computer system went belly up for at least a couple of days and my card was refused as well as the call centre being not available. I fortunately have 2 bank accounts with different banks so was able to renew my car insurance with the stand by one. For this reason alone cash could be useful as a journey would be wasted if payment electronically was not possible. With the caveat about counterfeit notes cash is more reliable.Never had any problems paying in cash but my local branch does know me and greets me by name but may be different in other areas.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Many thanks for all the replies. I see your points about electronic methods not being to everyone's ability, or things malfunctioning on the day.
He has asked me to bring photo ID and recent utility bill, and said he will do the same. But since posting my question, I've asked him for his home address so that I can print out an invoice / receipt beforehand, and he now says he'll give me his address on the day. Sounds very fishy to me. I think I'll pull out unless he can give me an address and pay a decent proportion with PayPal beforehand.
Chris F, Cornwall
jezer

Post by jezer »

I can see his point about not giving out his address in advance. You could be in cahoots with a burglar who would raid his house knowing he wasn’t there at the time of his meeting you. Suspicion works both ways.
Power to the pedals
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ChrisF wrote:Many thanks for all the replies. I see your points about electronic methods not being to everyone's ability, or things malfunctioning on the day.
He has asked me to bring photo ID and recent utility bill, and said he will do the same. But since posting my question, I've asked him for his home address so that I can print out an invoice / receipt beforehand, and he now says he'll give me his address on the day. Sounds very fishy to me. I think I'll pull out unless he can give me an address and pay a decent proportion with PayPal beforehand.

I'd be walking away right now tbh. There has to be at least some basis of trust.
rjb

Post by rjb »

only 15 years ago paying in cash was not unusual. I bought a car from a car supermarket and they insisted on either cash or a bank draft. As you had to pay for a bank draft most transactions were for cash. I withdrew £8 grand from my bank account and took it with me, with the mrs as a bodyguard :lol: .
They were all geared for counting it with machines which counted it in seconds. :o
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D