Removing Brompton Handkebar Grips

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Barks

Removing Brompton Handkebar Grips

Postby Barks » 5 Nov 2018, 3:40pm

Can someone pls advise on options to remove the spongy foam grips that Brompton’s come with (pre 2017 version). TY

pwa

Re: Removing Brompton Handkebar Grips

Postby pwa » 5 Nov 2018, 3:55pm

Try to inject some warm soapy water under the edge if you can. Gentle heat should definitely help. WD40 might do it too. If you can get the nozzle in.

Martyn B

Postby Martyn B » 5 Nov 2018, 9:26pm

Earlier this year I decided to replace the original grips on our 2 Bromptons with some sturdier Ergon grips - the 'two minute job' evolved into a (for me!) mammoth task, because it would appear that they were actually glued on to the bars, and ultimately had to be cut off. Not a problem in itself, but the residue left on the bars from the glue took an absolute age to remove, despite the use of various solvents recommended by work colleagues who are for more clued up about this sort of thing than I am..... If you do ride your Brompton on a regular basis, I would definitely recommend changing the grips for something sturdier and more comfortable than the cheap and cheerful spongy jobbies which come out of the factory.

Keep on Bromptoneering!

Best regards
Martyn

drossall

Postby drossall » 5 Nov 2018, 11:32pm

It took me a while to work mine off the bars. I didn't quite get blisters, but it was close, I think. I just kept twisting them. I could have cut them off, since I was replacing the P bars with more conventional ones with rubber grips, but I didn't see the point in wasting the old grips, which might be wanted sometime perhaps.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 17 Nov 2018, 11:57am

Old type of grips, without "locking" screws are glued on.
You need to cut them unless they had worked themselves loose. Still, you need a knife blade to remove the glue from the bars.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...