systems lejog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
deborahden

systems lejog

Post by deborahden »

I'm doing le jog with a friend in May. we are too mad nurses doing it on our own in two weeks. we are using sustrans route. I have bought a Wahoo bolt and using kommot. any tips please and how good is the only? we are staying in b and b on the way.
landsurfer

Re: systems lejog

Post by landsurfer »

Suggest you consider the WIMPS route ... available on this site ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Suggest you consider the WIMPS route ... available on this site ...

Any chance that route could be published here? There are over two million posts on that thread. :shock:

Ta.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Last edited by landsurfer on 6 Nov 2018, 12:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be more Mike.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Super, thank you very much. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can I just add, that that route was the one that was planned, and not the one that was ridden?

What happened to Crediton, and the way I described it, and the way that some of you didn't follow, and then had to back-track to get to the cafe?
Or the excellent way I showed you so we all went via Tiverton and the supermarket for the ice lollies and the nice area to sit under the trees near the bus station?

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:Can I just add, that that route was the one that was planned, and not the one that was ridden?

What happened to Crediton, and the way I described it, and the way that some of you didn't follow, and then had to back-track to get to the cafe?
Or the excellent way I showed you so we all went via Tiverton and the supermarket for the ice lollies and the nice area to sit under the trees near the bus station?

:lol: :lol:

I dont remember anyone back tracking to the cafe Mick.
I do remember a group shooting off and leaving the rest of us to a massively hilly route while they took the line of least resistance ... without telling us slower ones ... !
:lol:
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:Can I just add, that that route was the one that was planned, and not the one that was ridden?

It was the best route, but our Lezyne and Garmin guidance systems could never quite agree .... :roll:
Though i must admit that when my Garmin fell off the bike south of Lancaster my quality of life improved ...
Especially as good hearted souls found it and using faceberk it was returned to me ... after the event .. :D
Be more Mike.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Back track at Crediton? You must have been using my Garmin , the u-turn special edition.When I went through Crediton, I really fancied a Chinese meal, I found 3 Chinese restaurants in the high street , all closed.Good bike shop for repairs, nice B&b too, by the garage on the noisy Exeter road.Here I heard the phrase " the route levels off from here onwards"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... how good is the only? ....

For my peace of mind, can somebody explain those words. Also "systems lejog" (I understand both "systems" and "lejog" but not together.)
RickH

Post by RickH »

thirdcrank wrote:
... how good is the only? ....

For my peace of mind, can somebody explain those words. Also "systems lejog" (I understand both "systems" and "lejog" but not together.)

Your guess is as good (or bad) as mine. Maybe "how good is the route" (Automangle™?)

I think "systems" was an autocorrect (Automangle™ strikes again! ) of "Sustrans".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Crediton.

Me and NA went into the town down the highstreet.
We had stayed back waiting for the stragglers, but carried on. The main group were well ahead of us.
I know the way like the back of my hand.

As we rode through the town centre, we looked for bikes leaning on the walls by the cafes, but saw none. We carried on to the far end of the town, to see some of you going the wrong way! I shouted across the road, "You're going the wrong way!" only to be told that you'd bypassed the town centre following the planned route.

I put them straight about always going through town centres - shops, bike shops, cafe's, toilets, water etc.
We all sat in a cafe after that, almost taking over the whole place!

Same issue later, at the far end of Rob's Passage. One or two wanted to carry on over the hills to join the B3181 (old A38), and I suggested strongly that we all go into Tiverton via Bickleigh. Much much much better route due to the bus station and cafe with the supermarket next door.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

RickH wrote: .... Your guess is as good (or bad) as mine. Maybe "how good is the route" (Automangle™?)

I think "systems" was an autocorrect (Automangle™ strikes again! ) of "Sustrans".

Thanks for that. Anyway, this thread has now developed into a sub-plot of the lejog for wimps thread.

The OP has not been back. If they do come back and want the wimps thread it's here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=112068
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I put them straight about always going through town centres - shops, bike shops, cafe's, toilets, water etc.

Ah, it's a tough choice that: more traffic + more junctions = more chance for the group to split = lower average speed, but you have to balance that against whether anyone will appreciate the facilities. Other than standalone toilets and late-opening shops and cafes, many of them can be found more cheaply in larger villages too.

When acting as navigator, I try to minimise my use of the "U-turn" hand signal, often bodging us back onto the agreed route and seeing if anyone notices, but I have used it a few times: the rider at the front points upwards and circles the air; instead of shouting anything like "car front", following riders instead groan loudly to pass the message back ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, tough choice, but I would err on the side of the town centres. Not necessarily city centres though.

Same ride, previous day.
Turned off the A395 for Egloskerry and Launceston as per the route, but some of them wanted to go straight on through Lanstephan up the hill and over to the Old A30 for Okehampton as it was shorter and more direct.
It's best to follow the road downhill to the right and down to the mini roundabout in Newport as there's a Spar Shop, and then you can go left then right and to the Old A30 ...............

One, it's easier, and two, they will fill up your water bottles and they sell pasties! :D
Mick F. Cornwall