Bar Tape

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Michelin

Bar Tape

Post by Michelin »

I want to change the bar tape on my bars.At the moment its got Fizik tape but theres no cushioning in it it feels like your just holding the bars. Any ideas what a nice comfortable tape is . I don't want to use gel inserts just tape. Cheers
Gattonero

Re: Bar Tape

Post by Gattonero »

There's so many choices that is impossible to give you an answer, it's a bit like saddles: each has it own preferences.

My only advice would be to stay away form tape that has a sort of "film" on top, like the Lizard Skins one: when this wears out, it looks and feels horrible.

A nice and though tape is the Arundel, or similar, they have a bit of cushion and lots of grip

Or just get some classic Cinelli one, they do many styles, their "cork" type is a classic and is durable (I clean it with water and Swarfega hands-cleaner, it comes back like new), they do a "gel cork" or a "chubby ribbon" which are nicely soft
https://www.highonbikes.com/cinelli-chubby-extra-thick-bar-tape.html
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I like silicone tape. Cushioned, grippy in the rain and not sticky backed so it can be reversed.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Two layers of tape. Save some of the old tape you take off and re-use under parts of the new tape.
I just lay some lengthways along the tops of the bars under the new tape.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Tortec or Fabric Hex
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

For durability and comfort my go to tape is the Bontrager gel. Nicely bevelled to give a nice even finish, cleans easily and doesn't suffer from compression IME. One bike has a set fitted in 2015, which, though faded, is still going strong.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:For durability and comfort my go to tape is the Bontrager gel. Nicely bevelled to give a nice even finish, cleans easily and doesn't suffer from compression IME. One bike has a set fitted in 2015, which, though faded, is still going strong.

+1great tape IMO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
freiston

Post by freiston »

I really like Cannondale Synapse tape. It is gel-backed and non-adhesive but it is grippy on the bars. I find it much easier to fit than other tapes.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freiston wrote:I really like Cannondale Synapse tape. It is gel-backed and non-adhesive but it is grippy on the bars. I find it much easier to fit than other tapes.

Sounds like Bontrager bargel tape recommended above
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Specialized Bar Phat. Comes with gel inserts that sit underneath the tape and give greater cushioning. My wife has it on her bikes. I find normal cork tape gives enough cushioning.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
james01

Post by james01 »

I've heard of people using old inner tubing as an underlay, then wrapping new tape of choice on top. Very comfortable, apparently.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

james01 wrote:I've heard of people using old inner tubing as an underlay, then wrapping new tape of choice on top. Very comfortable, apparently.

Especially when the inner tube is inflated :lol:
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

All together now.....

'' On Ilkley moor bar tape, On Ilkley moor bar tape, on Ilkey.......................... :D
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

TrevA wrote:Specialized Bar Phat. Comes with gel inserts that sit underneath the tape and give greater cushioning. My wife has it on her bike...

+1

Also, on another bike I have Giant Connect bar tape over another layer of some other bar tape.