systems lejog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
oldmanonabike

Re: systems lejog

Post by oldmanonabike »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:I put them straight about always going through town centres - shops, bike shops, cafe's, toilets, water etc.

I see no reason to ride through a town centre when you have a back up vehicle carrying food drink bike tools and spares meeting you at regular intervals, except of course when you have guest riders who need rest and refreshment
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

Nice cafe in Crediton eh?
Ice lollies in Tiverton?
Mick F. Cornwall
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

Nice cafe in Crediton eh?
Ice lollies in Tiverton?

I think you were doing a different ride to me.I remember you leaving the campsite while some of us were getting ready and seeing you sitting outside a cafe with the fast lads but by the time we got served you had all gone.

All that is irrelevent to the theory of not needing to go through town if you have good backup. Smokey Joes was fine though :)
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I think "systems" was an autocorrect (Automangle™ strikes again! ) of "Sustrans".

They are out to get us so we must be vigilant.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Not to derail this excellent thread, but most of the above confusion of opinions as to where to go reminds me why it is so much nicer to ride solo. :P
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1

Done all sorts of long cycling rides, and always been solo. Maybe why I know that being unsupported, you have to support yourself. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

I feel that these two quotes may be connected:
oldmanonabike wrote:I think you were doing a different ride to me.I remember you leaving the campsite while some of us were getting ready and seeing you sitting outside a cafe with the fast lads but by the time we got served you had all gone.

Mick F wrote:Done all sorts of long cycling rides, and always been solo.

Social cycling and some solidarity is so much nicer IMO - better a symphonic experience than a cacophony of soloists :-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:Yes, tough choice, but I would err on the side of the town centres. Not necessarily city centres though.

Same ride, previous day.
Turned off the A395 for Egloskerry and Launceston as per the route, but some of them wanted to go straight on through Lanstephan up the hill and over to the Old A30 for Okehampton as it was shorter and more direct.
It's best to follow the road downhill to the right and down to the mini roundabout in Newport as there's a Spar Shop, and then you can go left then right and to the Old A30 ...............

One, it's easier, and two, they will fill up your water bottles and they sell pasties! :D

Last time I went through I had something to eat at Laura's Baps in the yard of Jewsons on the Newport Industrial Estate.

https://restaurantguru.com/Lauras-Baps- ... on-England
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

In Camborne there is a cafe van on the ind est. that sells sandwiches .... it's called ... "Birds with Big Baps" .... really .... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Newport Ind Est.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Newpo ... d-4.358811

After leaving the RN, I had a job diving a delivery van for a local firm delivering car parts and body re-finishing stuff plus body panels and bonnets etc. Used to deliver to Pat Williams, Chris Davy, and Truscotts.

Nice chippy there just as you turn in from the main road. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Mick F wrote:Newport Ind Est.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Newpo ... d-4.358811

After leaving the RN, I had a job diving a delivery van for a local firm delivering car parts and body re-finishing stuff plus body panels and bonnets etc. Used to deliver to Pat Williams, Chris Davy, and Truscotts.

Nice chippy there just as you turn in from the main road. :D

Not a job I would like to do still if you're used to submarines diving a van might be easier :lol: :D