Outer Hebrides "tour". Train to Oban or car?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tinnishill

Re: Outer Hebrides "tour". Train to Oban or car?

Post by Tinnishill »

Things might improve a bit come 2019;

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... -1-4755533
Agitate, educate, organise.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Coming back via Fort Willaim seems like a way to ruin a good trip. The scenery just can't match the wild wild west.

Oban - castle Bay - Harris -Skye Mallaig using the train is as good as touring gets in my view ( if you're lucky with the weather).

The hassle of booking bikes on trains and all the planning is part of the fun of touring....when it all comes off......and if it doesn't you just replan and get on a later ferry..., but probably you'll be on the Calmac with a smile cos the plan worked. Both train trips are beautiful. We nearly didn't get our bikes on the Oban train, then had a happy delay with a tree dropping on the line and hitting the train which couldn't stop quick enough. All on the train had a nice natter and a local farmer rocked up with a chainsaw & a fag, can of petrol and no protective gear. Just like the good old days. A car is the ruin of adventure. Do a circuit using the train from Glasgow.
old fangled
jadakabj

Post by jadakabj »

I'm in the very early stages of thinking about all this and am homing in on:

car to Ullapool,
ferry to Stornaway
Shuttle Bus from Stornaway to Barra,
cycle back to Lewis,
ferry back to Ullapool
drive home.

Car parking and accommodation all to be worked out yet : )

My house to Oban is 280miles/7hours
or to Ullapool is 400miles/8 hours
Ullapool to Oban is 155m/6h?!

John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Leave your car in Helensburgh somewhere and get the train to Oban, they take bikes, then ferry to Barra. You could then do Harris to Uig after going around Lewis, cycle down to Ardrossan and get on that fantastic train journey back from Malaig. Supposed to be the most scenic in Britain. Much nicer trip.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Train to Kyle of Lochalsh via Inverness, cross bridge and on to Uig, then ferry to Harris.
John
toontra

Post by toontra »

I have to say the Glasgow to Oban train was one of my least pleasant train journeys ever, for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, the seats were incredibly uncomfortable. This kind of thing doesn't usually bother me but on this occasion it did, very much so. Secondly (to compound the first) the trip seemed to take forever. Can't remember the actual time but it was many hours for not a great distance.* To compound the suffering, the carriage was crammed with really obnoxious kids "larking about".

I've never been so happy to get off a train and sit on something comfortable - my saddle! :lol:

BTW this was to get the ferry from Oban to start a Barra - Lewis tour, which was absolutely fantastic 8)

* Just checked and sure enough it's a 3 hour journey time for around 60 miles. True Indian style (3rd class!)
Last edited by toontra on 7 Nov 2018, 4:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

al_yrpal wrote:Leave your car in Helensburgh somewhere and get the train to Oban, they take bikes, then ferry to Barra. You could then do Harris to Uig after going around Lewis, cycle down to Ardrossan and get on that fantastic train journey back from Malaig. Supposed to be the most scenic in Britain. Much nicer trip.

Al

It's a long way to cycle from Uig to Ardrossan. I think you may mean Armadale. :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Norman H wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Leave your car in Helensburgh somewhere and get the train to Oban, they take bikes, then ferry to Barra. You could then do Harris to Uig after going around Lewis, cycle down to Ardrossan and get on that fantastic train journey back from Malaig. Supposed to be the most scenic in Britain. Much nicer trip.

Al

It's a long way to cycle from Uig to Ardrossan. I think you may mean Armadale. :)

Correct! Senior moment…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......