1963 National Road Race Championship

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
goatwarden

Re: 1963 National Road Race Championship

Post by goatwarden »

Mike Vaughan Cycles (Mike's Bikes) in Kenilworth might be worth enquiring of. I believe it is still run by Mike junior and, assuming his dad is still around, might be able to shed some light.
I think Mike senior was running the shop in 1963 and, although I think he was more interested in motorcycles then, he could well have been there.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I will mention this to Brian Sandy when i next see him. A regular visitor on his bike to our local cafe in North Curry. You can see his palmares here.
http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurf ... urid=38715
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I have a phone contact for Mick Ives and will contact him later today.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
robj7744

Post by robj7744 »

Thanks again for the continuing suggestions.

I have now checked the archives for the Kenilworth Weekly News for October 1963, this being the date and location given on the Cycling Archives site.

I could find no mention at all of the event. It could be that the date or location on Cycling Archives is wrong, or that the local paper simply did not report on a national event taking place in the town.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Just spoken to Mick Ives and sounds like there were a couple of circuits that were regularly used based on Kenilworth.
He remembers the event well (and your dad, and who he married and passes on best wishes .... Mick has had a heart attack recently but is getting back into cycling and hoping to race next year).

The route was basically coventry rd, common lane, staggered x-roads into Glasshouse lane, Birches Lane, left to go over the A46 (wouldn't have been there then as I recall it being built), he then thinks the pro/independant circuit went down to Chesford x-roads (now a roundabout on the map) and turned left. The other circuit would have been to turn left at B4115. He was then a bit uncertain... it may have gone to Finham and turned left and left again to return on the A429 Coventry Road. The alternative would have been B4115, left on to Stoneleigh road, back over A46 and on to Gibbett Hill junction where left to complete the circuit on the A429.
On the final circuit it would have gone straight on to finish at the top of the town.

Jimmy Saville was commentator.

Hope this helps

Mick sends kind regards to your dad.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

rjb

Post by rjb »

rjb wrote:I will mention this to Brian Sandy when i next see him. A regular visitor on his bike to our local cafe in North Curry. You can see his palmares here.
http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurf ... urid=38715
:wink:

Caught up with Brian this morning. It brought a smile to his face when I mentioned Alan. He remembers racing against him on several occasions but he didn't ride the nationals in 1963. Brian is a regular cyclist and often calls in at the North Curry cafe. I hope I am still riding at 86. :)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Michael

Post by Michael »

Just dug out an old Cycling magazine from 1963. British Senior Road Race Championfor that year was Bob Addy first. The route used was the Classic Tour of the Peaks event promoted by Manchester Wheeler's. Two circuits totaling 84 miles winning time 3-38-38. Climbs included Snake Pass, Mam Tor, and Chinley Head. After Snake Inn down to LadyBower Reservoir and after the climb descending from Mam Tor summit to the finish at Buxton.
RESULT:
1 R. Addy Hemel Hempstead C.C
2 J. Clarey Cambrian Wheelers
3 W. Perkins Liverpool Mercury at inches
4. K. Hill Liverpool Mercury
5. D. Daily Melling wheelers
6. R. Goodman North Bucks R.C
7. J. Bettison Derwent Valley

18 riders finished equal eighth in the bunch sprint same time as Bob Addy
Attachments
BA.jpg
RickH

Post by RickH »

Michael wrote:Just dug out an old Cycling magazine from 1963. British Senior Road Race Championfor that year was Bob Addy first. The route used was the Classic Tour of the Peaks event promoted by Manchester Wheeler's. Two circuits totaling 84 miles winning time 3-38-38. Climbs included Snake Pass, Mam Tor, and Chinley Head. After Snake Inn down to LadyBower Reservoir and after the climb descending from Mam Tor summit to the finish at Buxton.
RESULT:
1 R. Addy Hemel Hempstead C.C
2 J. Clarey Cambrian Wheelers
3 W. Perkins Liverpool Mercury at inches
4. K. Hill Liverpool Mercury
5. D. Daily Melling wheelers
6. R. Goodman North Bucks R.C
7. J. Bettison Derwent Valley

18 riders finished equal eighth in the bunch sprint same time as Bob Addy

Just to clarify that we are looking for info for the Professional event, won by Albert Hitchin with Ken Nuttall 2nd & Alan Jacob (the OP's dad) in 3rd, rather than the amateur one (according to Wikipedia there were 2 separate events from 1959 to 1995).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Not certain there was a Professional event? Weren't they Indepentents Hitchin was in 63.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Independents were sort of professionals
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Michael

Post by Michael »

The route you requested for the 1963 Cash-men Independent & Professional Chapionship:
Kenilworth 95 miles in distance on a 7.3 circuit.
Start 11am Leyes Lane Kenilworth, left Glasshouse Lane to Birches Lane and left along Kenilworth Road and at Chesford crossroads to Stoneleigh crossroad where turn left to the next T-junction and then left along Dalehouse Lane. The course then swung left up Knowle Hill to complete one lap.
After 13 laps they continued along Dalehouse Lane and through Mill End to finish in Albion Road.
40 entrants 10 reserves. Prizes from £30 plus 150 cigarettes, trophy, medals, championship jersey for winner, down to £1.00 for 10th place, total of £130 to be won.

eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Michael wrote:The route you requested for the 1963 Cash-men Independent & Professional Chapionship:
Start 11am Leyes Lane Kenilworth, left Glasshouse Lane to Birches Lane and left along Kenilworth Road and at Chesford crossroads to Stoneleigh crossroad where turn left to the next T-junction and then left along Dalehouse Lane. The course then swung left up Knowle Hill to complete one lap.
After 13 laps they continued along Dalehouse Lane and through Mill End to finish in Albion Road.
40 entrants 10 reserves. Prizes from £30 plus 150 cigarettes, trophy, medals, championship jersey for winner, down to £1.00 for 10th place, total of £130 to be won.

As already clarified by Mick Ives... :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

eileithyia wrote:
Michael wrote:The route you requested for the 1963 Cash-men Independent & Professional Chapionship:

As already clarified by Mick Ives... :D

The two descriptions differ whether they used the B4115 and Dalehouse Lane/Mill End/Albion Road or B4113 and Coventry Road.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
robj7744

Post by robj7744 »

Thanks again for the replies to this. As mentioned there are some slight discrepancies. I have checked back on OS maps of the time and am plotting the likely routes onto a public site that I will share here.

In the meantime here is a photo of a break in the Manx International Premier Trophy Road Race from 1963. We have identified three riders but are unsure on the other two, if anyone can identify them we would be grateful.

The identified rides are Alan Jacob on the left, Tom Simpson in the middle, Jacques Anquetil back left. The unknown rider at the front is wearing an Amstel Bier jersey. The rider on the right at the back is wearing a jersey that appears to say ???ane Froux. According to Cycling Archives, Tom Simpson went on to win this event with Manuel Manzano second and Huub Zilverberg third.

afjmanxsmall.png