BC membership up

admin
Site Admin

Re: BC membership up

Post by admin »

Vorpal wrote:We are all cyclists. No one is *lesser* for what they wear.

I'm not a "cyclist" - I'm just a person who often uses a bicycle for transport, and sometimes for pleasure. :wink: :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Read an article about different types of cyclist: sport, enjoyment, errand, fitness

On most rides I am all four at once :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

admin wrote:
Vorpal wrote:We are all cyclists. No one is *lesser* for what they wear.

I'm not a "cyclist" - I'm just a person who often uses a bicycle for transport, and sometimes for pleasure. :wink: :twisted:

Ok. We are all people use bikes for various things. No one is lesser for what they wear. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

[Mod: Post removed - sorry you went to all of the effort of typing out this post only for it to disappear but if you find the need to resort to name calling that is what will happen]
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

[Mod: Post removed - sorry you went to all of the effort of typing out this post only for it to disappear but if you find the need to resort to name calling that is what will happen]
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

This is starting to so a bit silly as if people are jealous that they are part of an inferior organisation. Size isn't important although of course wondering why a "competing" organisation is bigger is logical. I have just come back from a CC meeting where we were wondering the same thing. "Why is a certain club bigger than us ?". The answer is probably that they offer more for the potential market.
I do wonder if the CTC ought to be looking at the BCF for ideas if numbers are important.
I for one swapped to BC when I found out that the CTC , as they were, did sod all to do with touring and wasted my money on campaigns. Why wasted? Well nothing has reduced the close passes and that's all I worry about on the road. I hate to say it but more cyclists don't enhance my cycling.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mattsccm wrote:
I do wonder if the CTC ought to be looking at the BCF for ideas if numbers are important.

The CTC is too stuck in it's ways.They offer nothing at all I'm interested in,then again BC don't really either other than the PLI.
I've no loyalty to either but my son has to have BC membership as his CC is a BC affiliated club as are all the Youth races.
Personally I think that BC and CTC will merge at some point.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No-one will win, not utility and not 100% :?

Spend some time in the Tea Shop, there are some jokes there, and quotes and stories etc :)
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 8 Nov 2018, 6:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

These fora have 29 469 members, +1
pwa

Post by pwa »

At the risk of being controversial, if CUK is perceived from the outside as being anti-helmet or even just ambivalent on the subject it is in danger of being thought of as cranky. I know that is not true, because I have listened to arguments on this Forum. But I am in a minority. Most people don't know there are alternative views about helmets, and they are unlikely to spare the time to find out about them. So when it comes to recruiting new members, BC has the advantage of conforming to popular views on this topic. I realise that may be an uncomfortable notion for those on this Forum who go bare headed and feel strongly about it, but I still think it's true. Conforming to the idea that helmet wearing is good is going to be a safer stance when trying to be popular.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:At the risk of being controversial, if CUK is perceived from the outside as being anti-helmet or even just ambivalent on the subject it is in danger of being thought of as cranky. I know that is not true, because I have listened to arguments on this Forum. But I am in a minority. Most people don't know there are alternative views about helmets, and they are unlikely to spare the time to find out about them. So when it comes to recruiting new members, BC has the advantage of conforming to popular views on this topic. I realise that may be an uncomfortable notion for those on this Forum who go bare headed and feel strongly about it, but I still think it's true. Conforming to the idea that helmet wearing is good is going to be a safer stance when trying to be popular.

In the past once or twice I've fell for sales gimmicks without thinking about them first,glad to say I'm wise to them these days.

NOTE:-This post isn't about helmets it's about sales.Once upon a time the CTC was a cycling touring club,now however things have changed.It's that change why I'm no longer a member,BC doesn't appeal either because of it's sales gimmicks
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

pwa wrote:At the risk of being controversial, if CUK is perceived from the outside as being anti-helmet or even just ambivalent on the subject it is in danger of being thought of as cranky. I know that is not true, because I have listened to arguments on this Forum. But I am in a minority. Most people don't know there are alternative views about helmets, and they are unlikely to spare the time to find out about them. So when it comes to recruiting new members, BC has the advantage of conforming to popular views on this topic. I realise that may be an uncomfortable notion for those on this Forum who go bare headed and feel strongly about it, but I still think it's true. Conforming to the idea that helmet wearing is good is going to be a safer stance when trying to be popular.

Do you really think that compulsion is more popular than free-choice in the general population or more interestingly the population who are potential cyclists, rather than among the haters of cycling.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

meic wrote:

Do you really think that compulsion is more popular than free-choice in the general population or more interestingly the population who are potential cyclists, rather than among the haters of cycling.

I don't know. But I do worry that, unjustified though it is, there is an assumption among people who don't follow helmet debates on Fora like this that helmet wearing is simply a good thing and you'd be daft not to. And that anyone arguing otherwise must be a crank. Most people won't have enough interest to investigate further. Anyone with that impression might see BC as sensible and an on-the-fence CUK as hippy dippy cranks. I stress that my own views are different, but I'm just looking at the marketing angle.
meic

Post by meic »

pwa wrote:
meic wrote:

I don't know. But I do worry that, unjustified though it is, there is an assumption among people who don't follow helmet debates on Fora like this that helmet wearing is simply a good thing and you'd be daft not to. And that anyone arguing otherwise must be a crank. Most people won't have enough interest to investigate further. Anyone with that impression might see BC as sensible and an on-the-fence CUK as hippy dippy cranks. I stress that my own views are different, but I'm just looking at the marketing angle.

To misquote Chris Boardman, I dont think it will be in the top ten things that they care about.
And for the second time you are conflating resisting compulsion with anti-helmet, which CTC certainly isnt.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:Once upon a time the CTC was a cycling touring club,now however things have changed.It's that change why I'm no longer a member,

Did you join that new touring club? The one set up to fulfil the often repeated demand on here for such a thing and then attracted so little interest it disappeared.