Lake District roads in late November?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JamesE

Lake District roads in late November?

Post by JamesE »

I'm off to the Lake District at the end of this month and planning to use my bike to get around – not a full-blown tour, but certainly riding from Oxenholme station to near Grasmere and back again, perhaps a bit more. Is that foolish in late November? Are the minor roads likely to be icy? I don't need to cross any of the high passes, and I'm assuming they're pretty good at gritting the main roads.
cycleruk

Re: Lake District roads in late November?

Post by cycleruk »

That will depend on the weather. Cold nights may bring frost in the morning so yes take care. Another hazard at this time of year are fallen leaves, especially on a damp surface.
Personally I would ride without hesitation unless it is snowing. 8)

Just a bit of news - Windermere ferry sailings have been restored so can be used as an interesting part of a route.
Last edited by cycleruk on 8 Nov 2018, 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Lots of rain and very wet roads are the most likely inconvenience at that time of year, though who knows, autumn is unseasonably dry this year.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes localised flooding like last weekend is more likely. You can pick low level routes between Oxenholme and Grasmere but I'd not bank on any gritting on anything over than the Kendal-Grasmere A road which is usually best avoided as much as possible. The return of the ferry is very good news and offers a nice alternative up the west shore of Windermere.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

On a positive not I've always found the roads to be fairly clean, due to the lack of arable and heavy livestock farming. Sheep are so clean!
brumster

Post by brumster »

Snow and more likely ice from a frost would be the most to worry about. Exercise caution with fallen leaves and large puddles. Autumn can be a great time to be out on a bike in the lakes. If weather good a nice route from Oxenholme ( to miss out Kendal ) would be along the lane to the north of the railway line - Hayclose lane - Paddy Lane until reaching A685, Carefully take a right followed by a left down Mealbank ( again with care as steep ) Follow Helm Lane to A6, take a right and left toward Burneside where you can pick up Nat cycle network towards Staveley / Windermere..
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not sure why you think the Lakes would be any different to any other upland rural area. I'd actually be more concerned in the more exposed Peak District or Yorkshire Dales and only then if the weather takes a cold snap. Just take sensible precautions as others have suggested,a later start to any ride will usually see any frost/ice much reduced - maybe not snow though :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Agree with others, no worse no better than anywhere else at this time of year. You might hit a cold snap with some potential for frost and ice or find it's just damp and miserable. Did a circuit of Coniston a couple of years back and found one bit of road where water had run across the road at an angle due to the hill and bend..... forming ice that we got off and walked over.... wet mushy leaves can be just as much of a hazard. The advantage of out of season is there is a bit less in the way of tourist traffic.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells