A decent white van man

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gbnz

A decent white van man

Post by gbnz »

A decent white van man.

Running late, a result of having to call in to see my 79 year old mother. Headed back over the moors, only 12-13 miles, but 2000'+ of climbs, heavy rain, dark by 16.30 and unusual traffic levels. And perhaps the only time I've been on the bike in the dark sans lights & reflectors.

So a white van man pulls over and offers me and bike a lift :) . Had to decline as I was soaked and would have wrecked his cab, still what a decent bloke (Nb. Too cold to say thank you properly, as my lips couldn't move :oops: )
peetee

Re: A decent white van man

Post by peetee »

They do exist.
A friend of mine works for a high class glasshouse design company producing traditional products for period properties. He has always driven a plain white van.
I must ask him if that has ever caused an issue with his clients. I know from experience that a lot of people out there that get rather upset when they order from a certain retail company and a plain van turns up instead of a green one with diagonal stripes. Oh, the shame of it. What must the neighbours think?
Last edited by peetee on 9 Nov 2018, 9:29am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Most of us who drive will be a white van man/woman at some point. When your student son or your elderly mother is moving home and you go to hire a van for the day. It's not the vehicle that dictates the driving style, it's the choices made by the driver.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Yes I have been a WVM at some time in my life (hired van - transporting furniture and stuff to France). Whether I was 'decent' in the circumstances - well that's for others to say :oops: . Alas! I offered no lift to any forlorn cyclist, nor anyone else....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

WVW?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bez

Post by Bez »

[youtube]OIVB3DdRgqU[/youtube]
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pwa wrote:Most of us who drive will be a white van man/woman at some point. When your student son or your elderly mother is moving home and you go to hire a van for the day. It's not the vehicle that dictates the driving style, it's the choices made by the driver.

Interestingly it's also the choices made by those around you.
In a LWB Sprinter, I regularly used to approach a roundabout and stop... but so did everyone else, despite them having priority.
Well at the point when everyone is stopped I'll happily go... How many people would decide I'd 'pushed my way onto the roundabout' I don't know...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:WVW?

A stereotypical viewpoint. Rather like that of cyclists, who're all vegan, environmentaly friendly, middle class people who aren't like US. I kid you not, briefly residing in a parochial, rural, Northern town, stereotypes do exist :roll:

Ask my heavy smoking, p&^%$£%^, neighbours on a Friday night! (Nb. I've had to ask them to use their cigarettes away from my washing).

On a positive point, at least I'm referred to as "sir" in the supermarkets et al :lol:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

A 'decent' WVM is rarer than rocking horse poop, I've met one who did me an amazing turn and saved me a 17 mile walk home. Sadly the actions of the majority of other people whom just happen to be inside a metal box with an engine, makes you see their action as almost other worldly. Offering help to others in difficulty or very trying situations should be seen as a normal thing to do, not extraordinary.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't think it's anything to do with the vehicle an individual is, or is not driving. It's about the individual themselves.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Bonefishblues wrote:I don't think it's anything to do with the vehicle an individual is, or is not driving. It's about the individual themselves.

Precisely!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bonefishblues wrote:I don't think it's anything to do with the vehicle an individual is, or is not driving. It's about the individual themselves.

I don't do it so often now but sometimes I find myself filtering my way into Wigan, to catch a train there, past a line of very slow moving traffic. I'm often pleasantly surprised by the number of vehicles who's drivers have obviously seen me approaching & edge across to give me more space. That fairly regularly includes white vans & white Audis.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

RickH wrote:

I don't do it so often now but sometimes I find myself filtering my way into Wigan, to catch a train there, past a line of very slow moving traffic. I'm often pleasantly surprised by the number of vehicles who's drivers have obviously seen me approaching & edge across to give me more space. That fairly regularly includes white vans & white Audis.

I think that you should take a break from the Forum and think about what you just said :wink:
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup I agree! Van, mmmmm maybe, but, Audi, nope sorry!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I think certain vehicles and what they are being used for does influence driver behaviour, it would be very difficult to prove but the feeling is that it's not make/model, it's vehicle type. Vans used by trades-persons and delivery drivers seem to me to be very high on the list of micturate poor driving, a greater % than car drivers but less than skip lorry drivers!
White range rovers today as I passed a very affluent area, 3 in less than 60 seconds all being impatient twonks, not to mention a couple of other luxury SUV/green welly type machines.