Public Places Protection order bans cycling on NCN route

landsurfer

Re: Public Places Protection order bans cycling on NCN route

Post by landsurfer »

gaz wrote:[
The Council also have a legal duty to provide access for disabled people, many of whom use cycles.

Really, the cycling disabled are somewhat thin on the ground here in Yorkshire, especially in towns.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:
The Council also have a legal duty to provide access for disabled people, many of whom use cycles.

Really, the cycling disabled are somewhat thin on the ground here in Yorkshire, especially in towns.

Two things come to mind:
1. if Yorkshire towns are rubbish at providing access for disabled cyclists, is it any surprise that they're somewhat thin on the ground?
2. the cycling disabled are not thin on the ground where they're provided for, such as in Cambridge https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... king-stick
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:

That's the standard argument against providing provision for anyone, including cyclists. There aren't many, so they don't need anything.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:

Many, maybe most, disabled people hardly go out, exactly because access is so difficult, an unvirtuous spiral of cause and effect
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

djrikki wrote:..
Ps. cycling up one-way streets - different subject but the majority of no-entry signs need to be revisited and have 'except cycles' written underneath on square signs with rounded edges and made of metal

Much too scary and dangerous for me :?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Sorry that was out of context ... my response was to the amount of disabled people that cycle ...
Riding a bicycle requires a great deal of ability, being disabled may reduce the numbers of cyclists within the disabled group as opposed to the abled / ability group in society.
As the husband of a disabled wife i genuinely understand the restrictions and opportunities a disability can provide.
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of people are not visibly disabled, maybe they have problems with their lungs, cannot see well, etc etc

There is a care home near me, one sometimes sees residents sitting outside in their wheelchairs but they do not go anywhere, maybe they have a bus trip once a year. I fear a lot of them survived trying to take their own lives but were severely injured and the other half were disabled by road 'accidents' :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Sorry that was out of context ... my response was to the amount of disabled people that cycle ...
Riding a bicycle requires a great deal of ability, being disabled may reduce the numbers of cyclists within the disabled group as opposed to the abled / ability group in society.
As the husband of a disabled wife i genuinely understand the restrictions and opportunities a disability can provide.

Opportunities? Please explain
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Sorry that was out of context ... my response was to the amount of disabled people that cycle ...

Opportunities? Please explain

Through her disability Julie has met a new peer group, made friends within that peer group ... disability has many negative realities, but some positives as well...
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think it's safe to say the country is anti cycling :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:I think it's safe to say the country is anti cycling :?

Or un-safe to say :?
I love cycling so much, how could anyone hate us or be against us?
drossall

Post by drossall »

pete75 wrote:No, no cycling that's a good one but it's effectively what the sign means. Doesn't the white cycle on a blue background below also mean cycling allowed. Contradictory signage - how is anyone to know which is correct?

At least the sign and the accompanying text are consistent. One says "No no cycling", and the other says that "No cycling" is permitted - which of course is what there will be if no cyclists go there any more :lol:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

This country is anti-cycling, .... motoring, walking, swimming, pizza, motorbikes, hats, .... pick your own relevant "Anti" ....
In reality we are probably one of the most tolerant societies on the planet ... we even release terrorists to walk among us.... !
We are "Anti " nothing in this country ... lets stop trying to find a reason to be victims ..... :)
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:This country is anti-cycling, .... motoring, walking, swimming, pizza, motorbikes, hats, .... pick your own relevant "Anti" ....
In reality we are probably one of the most tolerant societies on the planet ... we even release terrorists to walk among us.... !
We are "Anti " nothing in this country ... lets stop trying to find a reason to be victims ..... :)

If I could only agree :?

EDIT:- for a progressive and tolerant country,especially with regard to cycling take a trip to NL.
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Nov 2018, 10:04am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:

Doesn't mean they cannot be catered for.

My wife is disabled and used to ride a recumbent trike with pedal assist, we were allowed to cycle trough Gosport and on to the Gosport Ferry, they accepted it as a "wheelchair"