** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by meic »

It does seem rather unfair that the portion of the UK that has caused the rest of us so much grief and cost so much, for so long, now benefits.

Deep down, to the Irish government, it is a part of Ireland not a part of the UK.
They never gave up on "Irish citizens" after the partition and still are not doing so.
Yma o Hyd
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Of course and I have much sympathy with that view but the Loyalists want to "leave"!!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45703809

I don't know why so much fuss is being made about the fishing industry. It's a very minor industry with little overall importance to the UK eceonomy. It's turnover is less than half that of Harrods.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

What a waste of time the last 2 years has been?
No wonder politics has such a bad reputation?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:What a waste of time the last 2 years has been?

It's only a waste if we don't learn that this is what happens when youvote for liars promising clearly impossible things like having cake and eating it: once they win, the liars backpedal (Hannan, Farange), then many run away (Farange, Davis, Johnson...), leaving a few of them to wake up and cobble together the best possible deal while determinedly trying to avoid a vote that could change course, remove them from power and unblock the stalled prosecutions of their cronies.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:I don't know why so much fuss is being made about the fishing industry. It's a very minor industry with little overall importance to the UK eceonomy. It's turnover is less than half that of Harrods.
Maybe less important to the economy, but it matters a lot to us personally. Having adopted a pescetarian lifestyle, one step short of going full veggie, means that we eat quite a lot of fish - at least twice a week. We would not wish to see that supply diminish.

Having said that, I must admit that a lot of the fish and seafood we consume is farmed....

On the other hand, I have never visited Harrods. If they really have a gargantuan turnover, it's not down to us. :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If politicians have a bad reputation, so, I'm afraid, have "the people". It was, after all, "the people" who landed us in this unholy mess....

I'm reminded that the preamble to the United States constitution begins, famously, with the words "WE THE PEOPLE". Having made that statement and attained independence, those same "people" immediately pursued their foul practice of slavery for another three-quarters of a century. And not much improvement after that - Jim Crow laws and all - and look what's happening now! :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Historians will still be picking the bones out of this for centuries to come.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Historians will still be picking the bones out of this for centuries to come.

Maybe. May did at least clearly state yesterday that remaining is an option. If we do that somehow then this exotic sprism could yet become a footnote.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Historians will still be picking the bones out of this for centuries to come.

Maybe. May did at least clearly state yesterday that remaining is an option. If we do that somehow then this exotic sprism could yet become a footnote.

Make that 'many centuries' if that happens!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46212838
So has anything been achieved? Seems like all has been postponed until a later date & trapped into an arrangement that only serves the EU?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I wonder if Raab's departure is the start of the thread* unravelling?

*Not this one, for sure! :lol:
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Raab quits:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/15/dominic-raab-quits-as-brexit-secretary-over-eu-withdrawal-deal

His resignation follows that of Shailesh Vara, Northern Ireland Secretary.

Donald Tusk this morning:
Since the very beginning, we have had no doubt that Brexit is a lose-lose situation, and that our negotiations are only about damage control.

The house of cards is beginning to fall.

Still celebrating, al_yrpal?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The last two?
What about the last ten!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden