Overshoes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PAB855

Overshoes

Post by PAB855 »

Is there such a thing as a waterproof overshoe for about £40?

All the reviews I have read so far even for winter shoes at well over£100 say nothing is waterproof.

Maybe my old ones will be worth keeping after all despite their dilapidated state.

Any satisfied customers?

Cheers
peetee

Re: Overshoes

Post by peetee »

Not an overshoe as such but superbly dry even in heavy rain are the Eagersport spats. If you can find them. They are calf length and fit under waterproof trousers so eliminate run-off dribbling into the top of an shoe/overshoe. Not sure they are still made but they were deeply unfashionable in their time so may be sitting in dusty bike shop cupboards somewhere.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have neoprene cycling overshoes (Planet X ).. size 11 - 12 free to a good home ... wore them once .... totally waterproof and with cutouts for cleats ...

GONE ..... :D
Last edited by landsurfer on 15 Nov 2018, 6:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for these responses,you have given me enoughto lead on to a number of possibilities.

Thanks for the offer, but I have much smaller size shoes, so unfortunately will have to pass on this one
Cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have some from BBB that come up the shins a bit and so can go under trouser bottoms, and they are a sort of waterproof nylon that does keep water out. But they have a fault that many overshoes have: they have nothing to prevent the fabric rubbing on the floor and wearing away in no time. So I got the sewing kit out and added protective plastic details to the base. They now work well but it is annoying that the design was not thought through in the first place.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

I've found the Pearl Izumi Barrier WXB overshoes to be pretty good: stretchy, waterproof, easy to put on and adjust, lined with a thin fleece so they're good for coldish wet days without getting too hot in milder weather, and quite durable. Mine are starting to fall apart but I reckon I've had them for at least eight years. I wash them occasionally and re-proof them annually. They don't solve the seeping-down-the ankle problem (though they are adjustable, so you can make sure they fit tightly round the ankle) nor the soaking-up-from-underneath problem, but they can withstand quite a bit of rain and at least when my feet do get damp they stay warm.
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

landsurfer wrote:I have neoprene cycling overshoes (Planet X ).. size 11 - 12 free to a good home ... wore them once .... totally waterproof and with cutouts for cleats ...

I use these in the same size and concur. They are rather good. If you're giving them away, could I offer to relieve you of your burden? Happy to pay towards postage.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I do find that Neoprene overshoes aren't particularly water proof. I was looking at them the other day and was thinking this could be due to the stitching which is normally down the centre line. I was thinking of trying some water-proof tape on the inside of the seam to see if this helps.
When and if I get around to it I'll let you know.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

A few weeks ago I picked up some Decathlon BTwin waterproof overshoes for £20. They've a rubbery outside and thin fleecey inside.
They might have been old stock/end of season ones as I'm unable to find them on the Decathlon site but defo worth a look as ime they do work.
Mine are a size 7/41 and apart from a slight toe overlap and a velcro strap halfway along the sole, they are bottomless for walking in. Very well thought out.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I have these in black. Have lasted more than 10 years. Loose fitting and easily attached but waterproof.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaude-Bike-Gai ... B003MWQIPE
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

whoof wrote:I do find that Neoprene overshoes aren't particularly water proof. I was looking at them the other day and was thinking this could be due to the stitching which is normally down the centre line. I was thinking of trying some water-proof tape on the inside of the seam to see if this helps.
When and if I get around to it I'll let you know.

As I understand it, neoprene isn't meant to be waterproof but rather a barrier to heat loss (as in a wetsuit). In any case, any waterproof material is likely to just make your feet sweat a lot. Perhaps the best approach is to accept you'll get wet in any significant rain so get clothes that keep you warm even when they're very wet. I like merino stuff for this reason - although it only stays warm if you yourself generate a bit of heat (through pedalling) to keep it that way.

It does depend, I suppose, on how much you sweat. You could find socks and overshoes made of breathable fabrics that allow a low-sweat quantity to escape whilst keeping the rain out. I have some sealskin brand socks that work to stop any significant water ingress but I still get sweaty wet feet as they're so warm when one is pushing hard for many miles. And I am a heavy oozer when working hard.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes