Public Places Protection order bans cycling on NCN route

Cunobelin

Re: Public Places Protection order bans cycling on NCN route

Post by Cunobelin »

What needs to be remembered is that it is local Councils that decide these routes. They then become an NCN by default

Cycle facility design is often poor, and when this eventually becomes recognised, changes are made which disrupts the NCN. The route is still there as a whole though.

I remember when the C2C first became popular, there was a no cycling sign in the first mile when you left Whitehaven
meic

Post by meic »

What needs to be remembered is that it is local Councils that decide these routes. They then become an NCN by default

That sometimes happens. It isnt the norm though and really it is supposed to be Sustrans who decide what is or isnt an NCN route. They tend to co-operate and do each others job to some extent.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:What needs to be remembered is that it is local Councils that decide these routes. They then become an NCN by default

Cycle facility design is often poor, and when this eventually becomes recognised, changes are made which disrupts the NCN. The route is still there as a whole though.

I remember when the C2C first became popular, there was a no cycling sign in the first mile when you left Whitehaven

If Peterborough City Council was responsible for deciding NCN routes in teh city there wouldn't be any.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:

That sometimes happens. It isnt the norm though and really it is supposed to be Sustrans who decide what is or isnt an NCN route. They tend to co-operate and do each others job to some extent.

And sometimes Sustrans get messed about by the councils. I've been told that Sustrans and Norfolk CC agreed a rerouting of Route 1 to avoid a recently-reinstated 400m cycling ban, Sustrans understanding that another ban would be lifted from a 30m street that currently blocks the reroute, but it's a year on and they're still waiting...

Personally, I feel that Sustrans should sign the best cycle-able route and not keep sending us into banned zones. You never see a motorway abruptly dead-ending into a no-motor-vehicles stretch for 400m. If that means that the routes have to avoid some High Streets and monuments, then that's a shame, but that's the local council's choice. It seems somewhat daft to publish research claiming commercial benefits of cycle routes for shops and then keep directing cyclists along streets which have effectively refused to allow cycling - it reduces the incentive to allow a cycle route if they're going to get cyclists who don't know the area passing anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

Personally, I feel that Sustrans should sign the best cycle-able route and not keep sending us into banned zones.

I totally agree but it happens for various reasons. Like the council arranging a ban and implementing it without telling Sustrans and the first that Sustrans knows is when a volunteer ranger happens to ride that way.
The Carmarthen Council built a very expensive cycling bridge across the river Towi and inorder to "justify" it they redirected one of the Sustrans routes (crossing the old bridge) out of its way on a diversion to the new bridge, across it and back to the old bridge the wrong way up a one way street. This was all done behind Sustrans back and the council made and erected big solid signs which rather dwarf our little stickers. Sustrans can only erect signs (on public land) with their permission.
You never see a motorway abruptly dead-ending into a no-motor-vehicles stretch for 400m.

Motorways are on the top of the pecking order, cyclists are the bottom. If work needs doing on a motorway or other main road, local cycle tracks make useful access routes and depots for the workers and their gear and can be closed for months while this happens..
Yma o Hyd
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:What needs to be remembered is that it is local Councils that decide these routes. They then become an NCN by default

If Peterborough City Council was responsible for deciding NCN routes in teh city there wouldn't be any.

...which is the point. Sustrans pressurises and campaigns, but it is the Highway authorities which decide the routes