** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:......To liken the present government in Germany to the nazi regime is sickening......

He's not alone,there's anther poster who's yer pal :wink: and who reckons Germany want to rule he world :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ominous quote

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said the deal was "good news for the French economy" but also issued caution, saying the UK must be made to respect all EU rules.

hmms sounds like vassalage to me?

nice flow chart that explains it all
brexit_timeline_nov_2018_640.png
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Nov 2018, 8:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:He's not alone,there's anther poster who's yer pal :wink: and who reckons Germany want to rule he world :?
I'm mystified. I didn't think I had any "pals" on here....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello, Your showing your age if you don't know "IGICB"! Check out I.T.M.A., Tommy Handley?
Ali Oop often said it, !I Go, I Come Back"! (Jack Train). TTFN MM

NLYSLDOAH?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that the fishing industry is symbolically significant for the UK, rather in excess of its economic significance.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:well one good thing to come out of all this ( from her point of view) she gets a nice pension for life? is that true?

Of course, but she does not need it, her husband is a rich businessperson :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:He's not alone,there's anther poster who's yer pal :wink: and who reckons Germany want to rule he world :?
I'm mystified. I didn't think I had any "pals" on here....

Don't underestimate yourself.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hello, calling me a xenophobe is a cheap shot! As for reading more about the two world wars, I think my collection of books covering an extensive range of conflicts & disputes is well read?
Don't get me on to the German involvement in arms for insurgents on both sides in the Island of Ireland.
We have no influence in the E.U., even wise words are ignored, why should we stay in such a club? IGICB MM

No one called you a xenophobe. Someone said the attitude displayed in your post was xenophobic.
That was me. I was attacking the post, not the person. And I stand by what I posted.

You weren't wrong.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that the fishing industry is symbolically significant for the UK, rather in excess of its economic significance.

I believe thats true, but symbolically its part of our resources and teritory. We should be in control of all aspects of it, thats part of what sovereignty means. There are mutual fishing agreements in place regarding our fishing grounds and they may endure, but thats up to us not the EU.

Seems to me that if you believe in Remain here you can make all sorts of wild unsubstantiated assertions. There is plenty of current protests from the fishing industry, read the newspaper reports this week.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Rather than jump off the cliff, it's proposed to pay to wait on top of the cliff for a few years whilst we work out if there's a safe way to get down to the shoreline.

Of course, deciding to stay on top of the cliff permanently might be rather more sensible.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:.....
I believe thats true, but symbolically its part of our resources and teritory. We should be in control of all aspects of it, thats part of what sovereignty means.....

But we did as members of the EU we had our say. Just as MPs elected in Exeter have a say in decisions affecting Norwich, so the UK had their say in management of a resource that cannot effectively be managed on a local scale.

We were members, had elected representatives in a democratic process, etc.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Possible route to a 3rd referendum has now been created (official route in Parliament)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-theresa-may-mps-vote-commons-committee-eu-withdrawal-agreement-a8636081.html wrote:Key Commons committee dismisses government’s plan for how MPs will vote on Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement
A key Commons committee has criticised the government’s plan for giving MPs a vote on Theresa May’s withdrawal deal, in a further blow to No 10’s prospects of forcing the agreement through parliament.
Instead, the committee said, the Commons should vote on proposed amendments to the government’s motion before deciding whether or not to approve the exit deal.

That means the Commons would be able to add a range of conditions – for example, that there should be a fresh public vote – before approving the deal.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think that the fishing industry is symbolically significant for the UK, rather in excess of its economic significance.

I believe thats true, but symbolically its part of our resources and teritory. We should be in control of all aspects of it, thats part of what sovereignty means. There are mutual fishing agreements in place regarding our fishing grounds and they may endure, but thats up to us not the EU.

Al

Yes, that's what I was alluding to.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:.....
I believe thats true, but symbolically its part of our resources and teritory. We should be in control of all aspects of it, thats part of what sovereignty means.....

But we did as members of the EU we had our say. Just as MPs elected in Exeter have a say in decisions affecting Norwich, so the UK had their say in management of a resource that cannot effectively be managed on a local scale.

We were members, had elected representatives in a democratic process, etc.

Ian

And interestingly the very substantial proportion of the fishermen with quotas promptly sold them to one of 3 big operators and left the industry as soon as they had the opportunity.