Trivial - Halfords Discount

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LittleGreyCat

Trivial - Halfords Discount

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Contemplating buying a Garmin Edge Explore via Halfords as Cycling UK gets a 10% discount.
I've worked my way through to the discount code which says that the bar code voucher is for one use only.
Does that mean that you can have only on discount in November?
Confused (as usual).
mark a.

Re: Trivial - Halfords Discount

Post by mark a. »

As far as I know, yes - officially. But I bought some things there yesterday and the chap returned my voucher after applying the 10% discount. I don't see why I couldn't use it again - he didn't take any of my details so Halfords can't know that I've already used it once.

Edit: In-store only (just in case you wanted to order online). It also says photocopies not accepted, but I don't know how they'd know since there's no difference between a photocopy and my B&W printer.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm told by the local Halfords manager that the Cycling UK and British Cycling discounts have identical terms and conditions, the BC website does a better job of explaining them, including
• Discount can only be used once per transaction but may be used as many times during the month.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membe ... -discounts
That seems pretty clear even if it isn't very good English.

Also although it isn't applicable online, ordering online for in-store payment and collection seems to be fine. I haven't asked this question in case the answer is negative, but it's been accepted several times, the most recent a couple of days ago. Worst case scenario if it's not is to simply walk away and maybe try another branch.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I keep the barcode on my phone. The shop assistant scans the code from my phone. You update it every month but that can be simplified by keeping a link to the Cycle UK page on your phone/tablet/laptop. Bit of a flaff but worthwhile if you're spending a lot.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Not trivial at all! I can't get the pdf with the bar code to display on my ancient iPhone 4 at all. I can login in to the cycling UK site. Then what? There are no links to the Halfords discount and no search facility that I could find. So, I got on to my PC, did a search, found the page, typed the URL into my phone browser longhand, bookmarked it, then clicked on the discount voucher link. Was then asked how I wanted to view it and whichever option I chose, all I got was a blank screen. Any clues anyone?

For the moment I can do it all on my PC and print a voucher each month, but seeing as many online cycle shops undercut Halfords prices even with the Cycling UK discount, I can't see me bothering with this rigmarole very often :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

fausto99 wrote:Any clues anyone?

Try this - download it on your PC and email it to yourself, you should then be able to open the email on your phone.
The whole voucher thing is a faff, I don't see why Halfords wanted to change it. Even so it still makes some stuff from them both the cheapest and most convenient for me.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Type in 'Cycling UK members benefits' into your browser. Scroll down to Halfords, click on the icon and a link to a pdf appears. The pdf contains the discount barcode. You may have to log in with your details first to get into the member's profile page. After that your phone browser will know to follow the path to the discount barcode page when you key in 'Cycling UK members benefits'. You can also save the link as a home screen widget. Just press it when you shop in Halfords - it will update every month.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Used the 'new-style' discount voucher, printed off the PDF downloaded from the CUK website, for the first time today. To be honest I'd frequently got an 'old-style' CUK discount on already discounted items before - like, a 'double discount' - so it's understandable that Halfords has stopped that.

I bought a can of Gunk, emery paper and chain lube but the discount could only be applied to the chain lube, i.e. bicycle-related items. It wasn't up to the staff member - he scanned all three items but the scanner refused to discount the Gunk and emery paper. Which again is fair enough, I think, but IIRC you used to get the discount on anything, not just cycle-related. According to the lad who served me, however, it's different with British Cycling - their voucher allows a discount on all items, cycling related or not.
RickH

Post by RickH »

kylecycler wrote:Which again is fair enough, I think, but IIRC you used to get the discount on anything, not just cycle-related. According to the lad who served me, however, it's different with British Cycling - their voucher allows a discount on all items, cycling related or not.

The BC discount used to be on anything - I think I've commented before but a few years ago I got some car mats that were in a sale & still got my BC discount - but that changed a year or so back (IIRC it was early last year) to only be cycling stuff.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

RickH wrote:
kylecycler wrote:Which again is fair enough, I think, but IIRC you used to get the discount on anything, not just cycle-related. According to the lad who served me, however, it's different with British Cycling - their voucher allows a discount on all items, cycling related or not.

The BC discount used to be on anything - I think I've commented before but a few years ago I got some car mats that were in a sale & still got my BC discount - but that changed a year or so back (IIRC it was early last year) to only be cycling stuff.

Oh right, so I got that wrong. Means both CUK and BC discounts have been tightened up, but we can't complain, it makes sense. Before, it was what The Orange Dotard would call a terrible deal (for Halfords, that is)!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Anyway, done the deed and got my 10%.
Now to see if I get an extra 3% from Quidco. :D
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

If it is any help, Decathlon has the Garmin Edge Explore for sale at £199 both in-store and on line. It has been at that price for two or three weeks now.

Cheers