Secondary Cross Top Brake Levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

Re: Secondary Cross Top Brake Levers

Post by Bonefishblues »

Eyebrox wrote:IMG_20181119_005123200.jpg

Makes sense now, thanks.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

the snail wrote:
Gattonero wrote:This can be exacerbated by handlebars with a short oversize central section, that's where the levers are fitted,...

Not on mine, they're fitted to the narrower part of the bars, which makes more sense to me

It depends, I'd rather have the levers sized for the oversized part, you can always shim them for the narrower size but you can't do the other way round. You want to make sure there's enough space to go on the hoods and the drops, and this may not be easy on bars that are less than 42cm
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Thanks for all the detailed replies - I'm on the case, Secondary Cross Top Brake Levers here I come!
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Bought and fitted. They work perfectly well. Very helpful particularly on long descents where the drop position can be a strain on my slightly arthritic hands.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I've been riding the cx all winter with secondary levers.
Only to jump on the pub bike tonight down the hill from home only to find that the top brakes are missing! a stretch to the brake levers which are long drop and single pivot I almost didn't stop :o
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jamesh wrote:I've been riding the cx all winter with secondary levers.
Only to jump on the pub bike tonight down the hill from home only to find that the top brakes are missing! a stretch to the brake levers which are long drop and single pivot I almost didn't stop :o

Been there, done that! :lol:

I have two bikes with them fitted and I probably don't use them all that much. But pop onto one of the bikes without them and I seem to be forever trying to use them!

It might not be ideal but due to bar profile mine are fitted close to the stem clamp so sit a little narrow but the plus side is that my hands are behind the barbag which keeps them a little warmer/drier in inclement weather!

You can just about see them on this pic from my 2017 Dutch Delta tour.

DSCN2653.JPG
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote: .....I have two bikes with them fitted and I probably don't use them all that much. But pop onto one of the bikes without them and I seem to be forever trying to use them!....

If you're anything like me you use of them is subconscious proven by missing them so much when you ride a bike without them fitted.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

A slightly clearer crop!
DSCN2653crop.jpg
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!