Car lamps : one-eyed monster and other outrages

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jb
Posts: 879
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 12:17pm
Location: Clitheroe

Car lamps : one-eyed monster and other outrages

Postby jb » 21 Nov 2018, 12:20am

Is it my imagination or are there more people driving about with one head light out these days?

Can they not be bothered to buy a new bulb or are they too tight. or is it that they don't know how.

Do they not realize that the light they do have working completely obliterates the side lights and prevents you seeing the dark bit of their vehicle?


I had my last car 12 years and I only replaced a headlight bulb once, I did it immediately with no fuss - took about 5 minutes.


Thanks for listening - rant over.
Last edited by Graham on 21 Nov 2018, 9:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Cheers
J Bro

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10608
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Car lamps

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Nov 2018, 1:43am

Hi,
As soon as I hit a dual carriageway I flip the rear view mirror, motorways its mandatory.
I don't think drivers realise at all.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

tim-b
Posts: 1039
Joined: 10 Oct 2009, 8:20am

Re: Car lamps

Postby tim-b » 21 Nov 2018, 5:10am

Hi
Can they not be bothered to buy a new bulb or are they too tight

Have you tried changing a bulb on some modern cars? Batteries sometimes need to come out, headlamp and grille off, Torx fixings on rear lamp clusters, etc
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

brynpoeth
Posts: 11058
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Car lamps

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Nov 2018, 7:03am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
As soon as I hit a dual carriageway I flip the rear view mirror, motorways its mandatory.
I don't think drivers realise at all.

Best not to dip, with dipped mirror one sees less
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

pwa
Posts: 10300
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Car lamps

Postby pwa » 21 Nov 2018, 9:15am

I've never had a front light fail. Back lights umpteen times, but never a front. I wonder why.

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4520
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Car lamps

Postby foxyrider » 21 Nov 2018, 9:25am

Not just front lights but rear too. The other thing i've noticed lately is the use of headlights when sidelights would suffice.

Difficulty of replacement is no excuse for not getting them replaced - places like Halfords will do it for you if you aren't mechanically minded / tooled up.

Another case of lack of policing
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2495
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Car lamps

Postby Cugel » 21 Nov 2018, 9:47am

tim-b wrote:Hi
Can they not be bothered to buy a new bulb or are they too tight

Have you tried changing a bulb on some modern cars? Batteries sometimes need to come out, headlamp and grille off, Torx fixings on rear lamp clusters, etc
Regards
tim-b

Well, that's alright then. And if the other light goes, then everyone will just need to keep their eyes peeled for the dark & dangerous fellow.

Does the rule apply to the brakes too? If they're a bit difficult to fix, are we fully justified in putting off that fix? After all, pedestrians can jump, scurry or other wise get out the way, eh? And those other drivers will just have to swerve a bit.

Cugel

pwa
Posts: 10300
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Car lamps

Postby pwa » 21 Nov 2018, 11:44am

Cugel wrote:
tim-b wrote:Hi
Can they not be bothered to buy a new bulb or are they too tight

Have you tried changing a bulb on some modern cars? Batteries sometimes need to come out, headlamp and grille off, Torx fixings on rear lamp clusters, etc
Regards
tim-b

Well, that's alright then. And if the other light goes, then everyone will just need to keep their eyes peeled for the dark & dangerous fellow.

Does the rule apply to the brakes too? If they're a bit difficult to fix, are we fully justified in putting off that fix? After all, pedestrians can jump, scurry or other wise get out the way, eh? And those other drivers will just have to swerve a bit.

Cugel

I think tim was offering an explanation, not a justification. And I imagine he is correct. Combine a lazy person and a difficult task and you end up with procrastination.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13786
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Car lamps

Postby mjr » 21 Nov 2018, 12:07pm

pwa wrote:
Cugel wrote:Well, that's alright then. And if the other light goes, then everyone will just need to keep their eyes peeled for the dark & dangerous fellow.

Does the rule apply to the brakes too? If they're a bit difficult to fix, are we fully justified in putting off that fix? After all, pedestrians can jump, scurry or other wise get out the way, eh? And those other drivers will just have to swerve a bit.

Cugel

I think tim was offering an explanation, not a justification. And I imagine he is correct. Combine a lazy person and a difficult task and you end up with procrastination.

Yep. Faulty brakes are an obvious immediate danger to the driver, whereas faulty lights are more of a nuisance to everyone else, especially in lit areas.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5709
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Car lamps

Postby Tangled Metal » 21 Nov 2018, 12:38pm

foxyrider wrote:Not just front lights but rear too. The other thing i've noticed lately is the use of headlights when sidelights would suffice.

Difficulty of replacement is no excuse for not getting them replaced - places like Halfords will do it for you if you aren't mechanically minded / tooled up.

Another case of lack of policing

We are lazy plus the car we have is a Pita to change bulbs in so Halfords usually do it for their fee. We do get them replaced at the earliest possible opportunity indeed we only use the car in daylight if a main light is out.

The trouble with halfords is they are incompetent. Changed headlights fail quicker than I've ever experienced in the past with other cars. Usually they get dull and fail the mot at which point the garage replaces for £6 including fitting. Halfords charge £10 or more for fitting plus the bulb.

Plus the last mot the garage tells me the bulb was put in wrong. It seems every time I've had Halfords fit it they've messed up the light works but is at an angle. Probably a resulting in a dodgy connection which. Might explain quick values. We've used three branches with the same result. If you need lights changing go to the garage you get your mot and car servicing done at. They'll do it right and probably suppply the bulb too at a cheaper price than Halfords.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13786
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Car lamps

Postby mjr » 21 Nov 2018, 12:46pm

Tangled Metal wrote:The trouble with halfords is they are incompetent. Changed headlights fail quicker than I've ever experienced in the past with other cars. Usually they get dull and fail the mot at which point the garage replaces for £6 including fitting. Halfords charge £10 or more for fitting plus the bulb.

People misread the Halfords banner as advertising "we fit" whereas it's actually a clear warning "we F it" (where the F stands for foul, of course, in case any moderators read this...).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

fastpedaller
Posts: 2079
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Car lamps : one-eyed monster and other outrages

Postby fastpedaller » 21 Nov 2018, 12:51pm

I do keep an eye on mine, but a few years ago we had it spotted at MOT that the main beam bulb on one of our lights had blown - I admit to not checking main beam, as it's something I don't often use :oops: . These were separate dip/main bulbs (Mondeo). Anyway, 3 of the guys in the garage tried, but couldn't remove it - it required steely-strong fingers and was just about in reach. I asked if they minded if I had a try (I have very strong fingers) and dived my hand into the abyss and came out with the bulb (much to their astonishment) - they offered me a job as chief bulb -changer :lol:

fastpedaller
Posts: 2079
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Car lamps

Postby fastpedaller » 21 Nov 2018, 12:52pm

mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:The trouble with halfords is they are incompetent. Changed headlights fail quicker than I've ever experienced in the past with other cars. Usually they get dull and fail the mot at which point the garage replaces for £6 including fitting. Halfords charge £10 or more for fitting plus the bulb.

People misread the Halfords banner as advertising "we fit" whereas it's actually a clear warning "we F it" (where the F stands for foul, of course, in case any moderators read this...).


They (H) probably put their fingers all over the halogen bulbs, thus increasing the chance of future failure so you go back again :(

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13786
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Car lamps

Postby mjr » 21 Nov 2018, 2:14pm

fastpedaller wrote:
mjr wrote:People misread the Halfords banner as advertising "we fit" whereas it's actually a clear warning "we F it" (where the F stands for foul, of course, in case any moderators read this...).


They (H) probably put their fingers all over the halogen bulbs, thus increasing the chance of future failure so you go back again :(

Ah, maybe the F stands for Finger!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10608
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Car lamps : one-eyed monster and other outrages

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Nov 2018, 3:59pm

Hi,
New fangled single filament headlights :x
Well I managed the correct bulb.......after taking out the old one on high beam.............must of taken me 15 minutes to force my hand and arm in to the front of car from under bonnet.
And on fitting new bulb I can say that I scraped my arm twice for the privilege :(
I have long arms, I would like to see any mechanic change that bulb not having previously done it.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..