Snow?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Snow?

Post by mercalia »

seems like Paris has ground to a halt I think 7" of snow
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Snow in Torbay in early 80's or was that 79-8, I was on my Tiger Cub and not much else apart from very few landrovers moved, everyone else had wellies :) Must of been 78 as I was still training and couldn't afford anything else but a £40 bike that I had to push some 5 miles home the day I got it :(
Had a Honda XL185s in the eighties was a modern highly reliable steed unlike the Triumph.
Have my old (last new bike) XLR200R which goes so wont be stuck anywhere if the snow comes, will go where most 4X4's won't, but still have the 4X4 if I feel inclined.

We live on high ground and many don't have 4X4's so they walk or park elsewhere, a stones throw from a dual carriageway.

For the purist petrol hater, I am not afraid to say that I miss riding a motor bike after many years of relying on just that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

An unexpectedly early bump for this thread. :D

Woke up this morning to a sprinkling of snow. Not all that much, a couple of mm, on cars, roofs, lawns, not on roads. But it's still only November. What are we in for?

Anyone else?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Can’t see the moors at the moment but possible a sprinkling up there.
Mick will soon chime in.

Can’t see us being cold much over the winter , Plenty of political topics to keep us warm and Revved up...........So many hot potatoes....Stoke fires now For those long gloomy days ahead :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

(Pete) I am not surprised at your dusting given the source of your air and some moisture from the N Sea.
There is a saying in N Wales that if, "we get snow before Xmas we won't get much afterwards".

Which, like many other weather sayings may or may not be true- depending on the weather. :shock:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently snow on the M4 near Membury services at 9am. 1.5 deg C in Reading.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mercalia wrote:seems like Paris has ground to a halt I think 7" of snow

Paris is a bit like London, even a whiff of the white stuff and it's 'don't panic Mr. Mannering' :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Some in Brighton and a fair amount up on the Downs, so it seems.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1723737 ... overnight/
What's the record for snow this early in the season, in England?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Canuk wrote:

Paris is a bit like London, even a whiff of the white stuff and it's 'don't panic Mr. Mannering' :wink:

Mainwaring if you please… really! :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:
Canuk wrote:

no its Mr Moggwaring

Moggwaring
Moggwaring
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mercalia wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Canuk wrote:

no its Mr Moggwaring

Moggwaring.JPG

Bojo isn't nearly fat enough. You need to flesh him out with another 5 stone and maybe we're getting there :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

No more snow, but our (outdoor, unscreened) max/min recorded [-6C]? last night, and still shows [-1]?. This is colder than the Met Office claims for our area (Mid Sussex). Are we in an isolated cold-spot, I wonder? Certainly plenty of hard frost this morning, neighbours scraping windscreens etc....

[Edit] not so extreme after all! Thermometer was mis-read, the actual temperature when read was -0.1C and the minimum -0.6C. Still a frost though.