Bus driver on the phone

MikeF

Re: Bus driver on the phone

Post by MikeF »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Yesterday I observed a bus driver holding his phone in his hand while driving, he was approaching a red light

Are you absolutely sure it was a phone and not a 2 way radio??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

A couple of weeks ago while travelling on a bus I actually used my phone to video a bus driver using his phone via his rear view mirror. On alighting, I mentioned it to him which he vehemently denied until I showed him the evidence - he was absolutely mortified!

I didn't take it any further purely because I couldn't bear the thought of someone losing his/her job as a consequence. He doesn't know that, and hopefully a period of sweating and anxiety might teach him a lesson.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Glyno wrote:A couple of weeks ago while travelling on a bus I actually used my phone to video a bus driver using his phone via his rear view mirror. On alighting, I mentioned it to him which he vehemently denied until I showed him the evidence - he was absolutely mortified!

I didn't take it any further purely because I couldn't bear the thought of someone losing his/her job as a consequence. He doesn't know that, and hopefully a period of sweating and anxiety might teach him a lesson.

Others report that drivers have been given a talking to but one cannot be sure this happened at all
If he lost his job and it was publicised that might have some effect on others
He could get a non-driving job

Hair-raising too - bus drivers selling tickets when moving

You really should have reported him
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Of course, he may have been reporting a bomb on his bus, set to go off below a certain speed or, if he hadn't reached that speed, when the engine stops and you hit the kill switch.................
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Airsporter1st wrote:Of course, he may have been reporting a bomb on his bus, set to go off below a certain speed or, if he hadn't reached that speed, when the engine stops and you hit the kill switch.................

A more likely scenario is that he was phoning his wife to tell her, "I'M ON THE BUS" as a signal that he wanted her to make his dinner, even though she too is working hard driving a large artic and would prefer it if he made the evening nosh.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

I didn't take it any further purely because I couldn't bear the thought of someone losing his/her job as a consequence

I often have thoughts like this, then remind myself that I couldn't bear the thought of someone losing his/her loved one as a consequence of them continuing to get away with it because I didn't report it. The fact that he denied it until provided with evidence tells you all you need to know about his mindset on the matter, he will continue doing things as long as he doesn't think he'll get caught.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I would be tempted to hit the stop button on the outside of the bus if I saw the driver on the 'phone illegally - however I could envisage when the Police arrive they'd be non too pleased at this being done and holding up the traffic. I could imaging the 'stop button pusher' being arrested - and who would the Police believe? probably the bus driver (they are seen as a 'person in authority' )and the old biddies on the bus saying " the nasty man stopped the bus, and the driver is nice we see him every day" :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

amediasatex wrote:
I didn't take it any further purely because I couldn't bear the thought of someone losing his/her job as a consequence

I often have thoughts like this, then remind myself that I couldn't bear the thought of someone losing his/her loved one as a consequence of them continuing to get away with it because I didn't report it. The fact that he denied it until provided with evidence tells you all you need to know about his mindset on the matter, he will continue doing things as long as he doesn't think he'll get caught.

You are right

But how does one know, when one gets a mail claiming the driver was warned, that he really was spoken to? A speaking to probably achieves nothing

In this situation I would hammer on the door, shout and swear loudly at the driver. Maybe I would have some good luck for once, a PSP police-shaped person might be nearby or even on board

Cannae boycott bus travel unfortunately, have not used a bus for a long time :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Like every other walk of life there are good bus companies and bad ones. The one I drove for a few years back certainly took complaints against its drivers seriously. When it is one persons word against another then it can be hard to take definitive action, but if a driver has many complaints against them then management will start to join the dots.
And yes, emergency stop buttons have to be reset, usually from outside the cab. That said, I would not recommend it as a method of dispensing justice. Two wrongs don't make a right!