Genesis Vagabond

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Genesis Vagabond

Post by reohn2 »

The bike is now dialled in and mudguards fitted so here's some more photos as promised
The first photo shows a mud deflector fitted to the rear guard,by way of explanation,a mud flap doesn't work for me as I have to stand the bike on the rear wheel to get throught some mad "anti" cycling gates on the L&L towpath a flap just get torn off.
Second shows the Utegra mech which allows more room for the m/guard behind the seatube as it's tight.It also shows the plastic P clips used on the seatstay bridge as there's not hole in it for a bridge bracket,there's also one on the chainstay bridge.It also shows the front mudflap which is a must off road if you want to keep yuor feet dry.
Third is of the full bike with an Alpkit Possum frame bag and a Topeak laerge seatpack,though I've since swapped the seatpack for a medium,there's enough room for day luggage in the frame pack which is now shared between this bike and my Longitude.
Fourth shows the gearlever/Kelly's layout again and the crosstop levers along with an Acor accessory bar to carry computer and front light
I'm liking the Conti RaceKings on the slimey wet tracks,but they're a bit of a compromise on crapmac as they drag a bit after the fast rolling Supremes
Click on the images for a bigger picture
Attachments
20181125_130243.jpg
20181125_130211.jpg
20181125_130137.jpg
20181125_130258.jpg
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Nov 2018, 7:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Boy I do like the looks of that.
I think that is exactly what I am after.
I just need to sort out a budget version.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Loving the turbo saddle!
Lots of inspiration!

Cheers James
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

I bought a Surly Ogre frame a couple of years ago and had it built up for bikepacking with Alfine gearing. My partner liberated it from me so I looked for a replacement in fact I was generally happy with the Ogre so I went to order another one, however the current price is just short of £800. My LBS had an ex demo Vagabond complete for under £700. Following a test ride I bought it being similar to the Ogre but with my preferred option of drop bars and considerably cheaper. What I disliked about the complete Vagabond was the rear mech and the quality of the bar end shifters, we changed these for Shimano LX but did not find the shifting up to the standard I have with other bar end set ups. My LBS had an ex demo 11 speed Alfine D12 that they suggested I try. So far I like it having changed the chain wheel once and rear sprocket 3 times to get the gearing low enough without that soft pedal feel. At the moment bike looks a bit scruffy in comparison to yours. Issues are external D12 battery and wiring but I really like the D12 as to whether it is worth the extra remains to be seen. I have used this bike for rough stuff, commuting and touring. I like the 50c Marathon Mondial tyres, bought the bike with Big Bens which probably rolled a little better but I wanted good puncture protection. Will fit mudguards, Tubus racks and possibly a dynamo front wheel. On reflection should have initially bought a frameset and built it up. These frames are a bargain, well made and capable in fact I have bought another frame for a different build
Not a great photo more will follow if anyone interesded Peter
IMG_20180923_162439038.jpg
IMG_20180923_162439038.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Truckturner
Yep,Surly seem to be pricing themselves out of the market IMO,especially when you see what Genesis have on offer,quality framesets to match Surly and at a fair price.
This is my second Genesis the first being Longitude which I bought as a complete bike as there were no framesets available and it was on offer at a knockdown price.
Both bikes are superb for their intended purpose ride well have a great paint finish with all the necessary brazeons and I'm enjoying both,though IMO the Vagabond could have done with another 10 to 15mm longer chainstays to be spot on but I'll live with it :) .

I didn't get on with Mondials when I tried a pair for rough stuff a couple of years ago,they were great off road but real slugs on tar/crapmac.
As posted up thread the Conti RaceKings(folders)are light,handle the rough stuff very well,but not too draggy on the road :)

Thanks for the input :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jamesh wrote:Loving the turbo saddle!
Lots of inspiration!

Cheers James

Yep,Turbomatic2 is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on,and found quite by chance when on a tandem holiday some years ago in San Gimignano,Italy.We past a cycle shop and on a look around spotted a NOS Turbomatic2 on the shelf the shape looked right and the owner was asking €25 IIRC so I bought it and found heaven :)
I've bought about four S/H on Ebay since,two of which I use on other bikes and stock up the others in a safe place :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 26 Nov 2018, 8:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

Very, very nice looking bike!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fast but dim wrote:Very, very nice looking bike!

Thought you might like it :wink:
W H Auden
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

reohn2 wrote:

I've taken a big step back from cycling...I'm sick of lycra clad wannabes the wrong side of 40 thinking they're Wiggins!

I'm back on the thorn or the sardar, ive ditched Strava and I try to avoid lycra!

Back to basics cycling is the future. It's about the journey, not the Strava average.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fast but dim wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I've taken a big step back from cycling...I'm sick of lycra clad wannabes the wrong side of 40 thinking they're Wiggins!

I'm back on the thorn or the sardar, ive ditched Strava and I try to avoid lycra!

Back to basics cycling is the future. It's about the journey, not the Strava average.

You know you can wear lycra without racing don't you? I'm not wearing it these days but I know touring / leisure cyclists who do, because they find it practical. I don't think they are "wannabes", fantasising about winning on the Galibier.

The important thing is that you enjoy your time on the bike. I think most of us go through phases with our cycling, shifting the emphasis from time to time.

A Vagabond would be no good for me around here. There is very little offroad in this area. Lots of lanes but I have bikes that do that well.

Edit.
Having said there is little offroad here, there is this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ng-on-sand

But I've seen those things on road too and they look hard work.
Last edited by pwa on 27 Nov 2018, 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

:D :D :D

I've only turned my back on lycra metaphorically...

Saying that there is something cathartic about riding in Rohan breeches and a bobble hat, on a chunky steel bike with a leather saddle and a brass bell.

You really do build some well thought out machines. My sardar is disc brake ready, but it works well enough as is.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fast but dim wrote::D :D :D

I've only turned my back on lycra metaphorically...

Saying that there is something cathartic about riding in Rohan breeches and a bobble hat, on a chunky steel bike with a leather saddle and a brass bell.

You really do build some well thought out machines. My sardar is disc brake ready, but it works well enough as is.

Brass bells! Now you're talking! Not sure about the bobble hat though. What is the bobble for?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Just an update on the Vag.
This thing is great for some of the rougher trails and towpaths I like to ride,precise handling and manoeuvrabilty in tight spots,everything I wanted really.
But with the drops fitted I'm finding my failing body is suffering from the pounding on the longer rougher rides,so last week I fitted flats in the shape of PlanetX Mike 'bars,they have the same 45degree back sweep as the Jones copies on my Longitude but without the loop,photo:-
20190411_124510.jpg

Instant success with a double wrap of bar tape for grips(which are a lot plusher than I thought),a more upright riding position has solved my shoulder pain problems.
I matched them up with a pair of 9sp Deore M590 pods from Wiggle which work well with the 39/24 Alpine double on a 110bcd spider and Ultegra f/mech,they only need to shift over two rings so changing is fine.Deore M590 r/mech and 14-34 custom 9sp cassette give me all the gears an old duffer needs :) Apair of Avid brake levers finish it off,though I wished I'd have bought Deore levers as the pinch bolt on those are more out of the way.
EDIT,just to add that I had to fit a much longer stem,11cm with the "Mike" bars to get a decent reach,I had 7cm stem fited with FSA vero compact the drops fitted before.
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

reohn2 wrote:Avid brake levers finish it off,though I wished I'd have bought Deore levers as the pinch bolt on those are more out of the way.

Shimano also offer the option of trekking version ('three finger') brake levers, which I prefer with wide bars with lots of sweep like that, e.g. these LX T670 levers, which SJS currently have on offer for £21.49.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

slowster wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Avid brake levers finish it off,though I wished I'd have bought Deore levers as the pinch bolt on those are more out of the way.

Shimano also offer the option of trekking version ('three finger') brake levers, which I prefer with wide bars with lots of sweep like that, e.g. these LX T670 levers, which SJS currently have on offer for £21.49.

Thanks for that,they're similar to the Deore m611's I have on the Longitude but a bit cheaper.Ive bookmarked the link,if the Avids begin to irritate I'll buy a pair :)
W H Auden