FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Listening to music the other day reminded me of some excellent films: Peter Greenaway "Drowning by Numbers" and "The Draughtsman's Contract". And the music I was listening to was Michael Nyman.

What I find strange about most other Peter Greenaway films is that I didn't enjoy them but recognise them as excellent films. And I don't quite understand how my views could work like that. I'd not recommend his films (other than the above two) to anybody else, didn't enjoy them particularly but somehow still think of them as well made, thoughtful, prompting the audience to think ...

Ian

The Pillow Book (1996)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114134/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_24
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097108/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_36

The films I was thinking of that I thought were good films but I didn't enjoy (which I can't really explain) were The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989) and Zed & Two Noughts.

Ian
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I like to go sniffing around cinemas even without seeing a film
A suburban cinema near me has strict rules, one may not take drinks or food, in, bags are searched by unfriendly PSPs police-shaped persons
Allegedly the aircon is switched off to increase sales of drinks and ice cream :(

Any other unpleasant experiences?

Not unpleasant but Penistone Paramount still has an interval(or half-time as it's known locally) and you can get a Beer :mrgreen:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

francovendee wrote:Last night I saw Time Trial. It's a film about David Millar's last year as a professional cyclist. He comes across as a rather a dour person and I'm not sure if he loved or loathed racing, a bit of both maybe.
He's held his hand up over the drug use but he is tired of answering questions about it.
The film of the racers close up, the speeds and the awful weather were beautifully shot. Some well know faces in the filmD

I went to see Time Trial on Sunday. Not sure why it’s called that as there’s hardly any time trialling in it. Great action shots, DM must have had a dedicated camera bike following him around in races. He’s also miked up so you get to hear what he and others are saying. There’s a lot of footage of a very wet Milan-SAN Remo. It’s also very sweary! Worth going to see, I thought.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a Queen fan so no surprise there. The story mostly stuck to facts which for me is essential.
Music of course was great and Rami Malek played of the roll of Mercury very well.
The same cinema is showing a film about Cold Play next week and one about The Doors the week after. I think more cinema visits are coming up :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

francovendee wrote:Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a Queen fan so no surprise there. The story mostly stuck to facts which for me is essential.
Music of course was great and Rami Malek played of the roll of Mercury very well.
The same cinema is showing a film about Cold Play next week and one about The Doors the week after. I think more cinema visits are coming up :D

Was that in French, or with subtitles? I really want to see it in Germany but most showings are dubbed, imagine them speaking German :?
One earnestly hopes the song lyrics are not dubbed :wink:

The facts? Mostly?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

francovendee wrote:Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a Queen fan so no surprise there. The story mostly stuck to facts which for me is essential.

Yes. I took Mrs. Spinners this afternoon and we really enjoyed it. I felt their early years were shown a bit too quickly and I'm pretty sure a few tracks were shown out of chronological order but the performances of all four actors portraying the band were spot on.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Was that in French, or with subtitles? I really want to see it in Germany but most showings are dubbed, imagine them speaking German :?
One earnestly hopes the song lyrics are not dubbed :wink:

The facts? Mostly?[/quote

It was version originale, with French sub titles.
Some small 'inaccuracies'. Freddy never knew he had AIDS at the time of the Live Aid concert. His last boyfriend wasn't a waiter. Small stuff really and didn't spoil it for me. I believe Brian May was heavily involves with the musical side of the film.
My brother in law is friends with May, so I'll see if he can find out more about the music score.
If Malek did his own vocals then it was good enough to convince me.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Metropolis' (1927) Fritz Lang's masterpiece? (my question mark)

About three years ago I had a brief flirtation with silent films not because of 'The Artist' (which I loved) but because of the 1927 Oscar-winning 'Wings' which was the most expensive film ever made at that time. Also from 1927 (or 1926 according to the DVD cover) comes 'Metropolis' which I've had for a while now and I finally got around to watching it yesterday.

I am a bit disappointed to tell you the truth. First, despite my 'Metropolis' DVD being fairly new the quality of the restoration isn't as good as some other silent films I've seen and I can see that there are several versions doing the rounds so here's hoping that whatever they release to celebrate the film's centenary is much improved. Secondly, the film is slow and the runtime does seem to show that my copy includes the 25 minutes of 'lost footage' found in Argentina in 2008.

On a much more positive note the film has an excellent soundtrack thanks to a new (2010) symphony orchestra studio recording of the original Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1 - it sounded brilliant on my home cinema system. For 1927, the special effects and large sets were amazing and I can imagine cinema goers being dazzled and also petrified at this imagining of the year 2000. I've also fallen in love with Brigitte Helm who plays both versions of Maria and found robot Maria to be sexier than robot Ava from 'Ex Machina'.

Anyway, overall 8/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One of the cashiers at my second-favourite cinema constantly licks his fingers while selling tickets, drinks, popcorn
Perfectly disgusting
I would like to give him a verbal rocket, what words might be suitable?

Once wonders whether the management notices such things
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

A Discovery of Witches
(All Souls Trilogy #1)
by Deborah Harkness
[youtube]J0e4zgn28IQ[/youtube]
has any one seen the tv production of the first part or read the book?
The TV production is far better than the book. I dont know why the book is a best seller ( I got the Kindle version, as I couldnt wait for parts 2&3 of the tv production) as it is a lame read with little drama unlike the tv version, just lots of banter then more banter then more. I found my self skipping whole sections very quickly - what made it tolerable was to see the differences between tv and book
I just want to see the bad creatures get scorched by Teresa Palmers witch fire :lol: some very nice settings and places in the tv rendering
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One of the cashiers at my second-favourite cinema constantly licks his fingers while selling tickets, drinks, popcorn
Perfectly disgusting
I would like to give him a verbal rocket, what words might be suitable?

Once wonders whether the management notices such things

As any dawg will tell 'ee, sharing spit is a good way to share antibodies. Perhaps that cashier is just trying to stop you getting the lergy that lurks in cinema seats? (Who knows what has been sitting there; and what they have deposited)!

On the other hand, sharing of spit can also transmit lergies! Perhaps you could take the cashier to a lab and give a set of comprehensive tests for good spit and bad spit?

How would you feel about the spit should you inadvertently fall for that cashier and begin a torrid affair? I feel that spit-sharing would then seem highly desirous!

These things are, then, in part a matter of mental perspective.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

easy complain to the manager? I doubt the cashier will be there next time
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:easy complain to the manager? I doubt the cashier will be there next time

Might be worth a try, anonymously
It is a small cinema, three screens, the manager knows all the staff well, maybe he does not notice it or thinks it is ok, forbye the staff have hygiene training for handling food!

Maybe many people do not notice or care but I really hate it. Just like with drivers on the phone I think a verbal rocket, give them a real shock, is the best way
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just watched Thelma and Louise on Netflix. Never seen the film before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_%26_Louise

Absolutely brilliant story and absolutely brilliantly done. Thoroughly good movie.
Mick F. Cornwall
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Mick F wrote:Just watched Thelma and Louise on Netflix. Never seen the film before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_%26_Louise

Absolutely brilliant story and absolutely brilliantly done. Thoroughly good movie.

Obviously tongue in cheek?!
It was a poor film in 1991!
I doubt the years have been kind to it!