Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Cugel

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Cugel »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Used to hate porridge until the day I put curry powder in it and now I love it!

Exotic bordering on perverted! I may try the recipe. But what curry powder? There are so many variations.......

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Madras, and I am just about to eat it now for breakfast, theres luvlee look you.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Used to hate porridge until the day I put curry powder in it and now I love it!

Is that you, Lister?
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Lister? no, but the sad thing is I knew exactly who you meant before looking at your link!
anyway I only use curry powder when the local shop is out of leek and daffodil flavoring.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Pastychomper wrote:

Is that you, Lister?

Now then, how about a porridge pasty? This would be a fine and toothsome wedge of clammy bike fuel sure to add 5mph to anyone's average, especially if it had a touch of Madras spices in it. Such a thing might well fit perfekly in a jersey pocket, to be hauled out periodically for a chomp, washed down with the bottle-juice, which might be anything; although Bucky seems appropriate for a curried porridge pasty.

Cugel, writing a request even now to the ladywife.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Lister? no, but the sad thing is I knew exactly who you meant before looking at your link!
anyway I only use curry powder when the local shop is out of leek and daffodil flavoring.

:lol: That series has a lot to answer for. Not least of which is the tune that still plays in my head whenever I see mango juice in Lidl.

Cugel wrote:Now then, how about a porridge pasty? This would be a fine and toothsome wedge of clammy bike fuel sure to add 5mph to anyone's average, especially if it had a touch of Madras spices in it. Such a thing might well fit perfekly in a jersey pocket, to be hauled out periodically for a chomp, washed down with the bottle-juice...
Now there's a thought! :shock:
If we could put some well-seasoned porridge at one end of the pasty and a freshly-smoked kipper at the other, and stop the flavours bleeding together too much, it might even outdo the traditional slice of yesterday's porridge as the ultimate breakfast-on-the-go!
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Pastychomper wrote:
Cugel wrote:Now then, how about a porridge pasty? This would be a fine and toothsome wedge of clammy bike fuel sure to add 5mph to anyone's average, especially if it had a touch of Madras spices in it. Such a thing might well fit perfekly in a jersey pocket, to be hauled out periodically for a chomp, washed down with the bottle-juice...

Now there's a thought! :shock:
If we could put some well-seasoned porridge at one end of the pasty and a freshly-smoked kipper at the other, and stop the flavours bleeding together too much, it might even outdo the traditional slice of yesterday's porridge as the ultimate breakfast-on-the-go!

Well, a good jersey has at least two pockets so there could easily be room found for a kipper sandwich (with brown bread having plenty aggregate in it; and butter). One might have to squish it in next to the windproof.

I have heard of exotic pasties with multiple yet separated innards. What a craft the cookie must have learnt to create such a beast! A pasty of curried porridge with kipper should continue the Scottish theme perhaps. I suggest a whisky-imbued haggis section in the middle.

How would the would-be pasty chomper know which end to start at? One should surely follow convention and have the porridge before the kipper. Perhaps the pastry could be colour-coded?

Cugel, wondering if the painted porridge pasty should be patented.
John Maynard Keynes
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Once upon a time, long long ago in wild Wales I really did try making curried kippers, it was truly blooming horrible, don't do it!
Pat
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Porridge and fresh coriander = palatable!
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

About a week ago I made too much curried porridge and what i could not eat I threw in the garden for the birds, the porridge is still there, the birds wont touch it, is this an omen?
Pat
Ray

Post by Ray »

An omen? No, it's simply that the birds have good taste :)
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I usually have porridge with yoghurt or rice pudding, keeps me going until lunchtime

Today just oats, water, salt

Perfect!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

My porridge has flax seed, bran, sultanas, coconut chips, and cooked. I add a sliced "ladyfinger" banana and yogurt. Keeps me going from 5:30 until 9 am, then I have 2 HB eggs, an orange, and a coffee - and this is while teaching in a college.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Surely everybody knows the correct way is to do a week’s supply on Monday and pour into the porridge drawer and cut a slice off every morning. When I worked on farms we got porridge twice per day and the auld farmer maintained we were lucky as in his young days he got it at every meal. This of course is plain oatmeal porridge and none of your fancy stuff. Fair sticks tae the ribs.
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

ambodach wrote:Surely everybody knows the correct way is to do a week’s supply on Monday and pour into the porridge drawer and cut a slice off every morning. When I worked on farms we got porridge twice per day and the auld farmer maintained we were lucky as in his young days he got it at every meal. This of course is plain oatmeal porridge and none of your fancy stuff. Fair sticks tae the ribs.

Pardon my colonial ignorance, but what is a "porridge drawer"? I have tried a google search and all it says is the porridge was poured into it to cool and then sliced later. It sounds like a cake baking pan or a tin of the type for baking a loaf of bread. Elaboration, or a picture would educate me further. Thanks. Sounds like a great way to make porridge "slices" for frying.