A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Re: A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

Post by mjr »

Mike_Ayling wrote:Dunno if ithas already been mentioned but Thorn states that their use will void their frame warranty and Surly used to say the same but they may have changed their opinion lately.

Not quite as bad as that from Thorn: https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/faqs#collapseGroup4Faq4 just says they don't cover the consequences of stand use. However, that probably means that they build their bikes without stand plates, which makes them much less practical for touring because it would be difficult to park it in busier bits of countries like Denmark. Where there are stands, they're often ones that expect you to put the bike on a centre stand and put its front wheel in a slot, as pictured below, with the standless condemned to locking to trees and signposts and so on, or risking falling over like one in the picture.

Surly has indeed been mentioned. Use the "Search this topic" box at the top of the page before posting, please.
Attachments
Copenhagen cycle parking
Copenhagen cycle parking
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

mjr wrote:However, that probably means that they build their bikes without stand plates, which makes them much less practical for touring because it would be difficult to park it in busier bits of countries like Denmark. Where there are stands, they're often ones that expect you to put the bike on a centre stand and put its front wheel in a slot, as pictured below, with the standless condemned to locking to trees and signposts and so on, or risking falling over like one in the picture.

No, on the pictured stand the front wheel is holding the bike upright.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PeterBL wrote:
mjr wrote:However, that probably means that they build their bikes without stand plates, which makes them much less practical for touring because it would be difficult to park it in busier bits of countries like Denmark. Where there are stands, they're often ones that expect you to put the bike on a centre stand and put its front wheel in a slot, as pictured below, with the standless condemned to locking to trees and signposts and so on, or risking falling over like one in the picture.

No, on the pictured stand the front wheel is holding the bike upright.

Only on the poor ones without stands, as mentioned.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
Vantage wrote:<snip>
Said advice was followed and my old Vantage had a single legged stand without damage for its life of 7 years till I killed it. Not through the stand.
The current Spa has a twin leg stand and Pletscher supplied a rubbery resin spacer of sorts to further reduce the chance of damage.
<snip>.

Ah! Did the spacer come as standard or as an extra?

Supplied :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

mjr wrote:
zenitb wrote:Really if you are leaving the bike for any length of time you want to lock it to something rather than leave it on the stand..as I have here :-)

I'm glad it's still safe enough there that a wire string lock suffices. :-)

LOL..guilty as charged!!! I am relying on the ugly bike to deter theft !!! :oops:
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

I hate kickstands, but if you do feel the need to fit one they are much less likely to break if you trim/adjust them to the correct length. Especially twin-leggers. The vertical distance between the kickstand plate and the ground is pretty close to the optimum length for single leggers
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I’ve got a aluminium bike I tour on I bought in 1993. The seat tube cracked badly (it extends a good bit above the top tube). I knew a good engineering shop so I booked it in and had it welded up. There is no way I’m going to let the bike die, I will go first. A good welder will make that as strong as new, it just won’t be quite as pretty though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Wag67 wrote:I’ve got a aluminium bike I tour on I bought in 1993. The seat tube cracked badly (it extends a good bit above the top tube). I knew a good engineering shop so I booked it in and had it welded up. There is no way I’m going to let the bike die, I will go first. A good welder will make that as strong as new, it just won’t be quite as pretty though.

The welder can be as good as he likes but the HAZ of the weld will be just as crap either way. Aluminium frames -especially those which are not heat treated after welding- are pretty disposable things, much moreso than steel ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I can only say that the repair was done eight years ago, and it is still holding up well after thousands of miles. I’m a pretty big bloke too at sixteen and a half stone
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Ooh get you townies with high square kerbs (!)

Ours are relatively low and the face slopes at 45°

Never seen any like that. We have square kerbs where there are pavements and none where there aren't. There's even some on the road outside our house https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.83189 ... 312!8i6656

At long last, here's a photo of our local ones, so you can have seen some! The great advantage of these is that you can ride up/down them fairly easily, as long as you make a deliberate turn. Cambridge seem to have used something similar to divide their latest cycleways from the carriageways.

I have since noticed that there are actually some square kerbs around here too, at bus stops and where the cycleway has been built out over the old drains and the new kerbs have drain channels through them - neither are places where you'd want to stand a bike in the road, though.
Attachments
Typical local kerbs, sloping face
Typical local kerbs, sloping face
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Ooh get you townies with high square kerbs (!)

Ours are relatively low and the face slopes at 45°

Never seen any like that. We have square kerbs where there are pavements and none where there aren't. There's even some on the road outside our house https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.83189 ... 312!8i6656

At long last, here's a photo of our local ones, so you can have seen some! The great advantage of these is that you can ride up/down them fairly easily, as long as you make a deliberate turn. Cambridge seem to have used something similar to divide their latest cycleways from the carriageways.

I have since noticed that there are actually some square kerbs around here too, at bus stops and where the cycleway has been built out over the old drains and the new kerbs have drain channels through them - neither are places where you'd want to stand a bike in the road, though.

Round here bus stops , well the ones in town anyway, have very high built up kerbs.
I bet you still have to take those at 90 degrees to ride up don't you?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Round here bus stops , well the ones in town anyway, have very high built up kerbs.

Give or take 30 degrees, probably. No use to stand a bike up, though.

Do buses near you not have ramps that flip or slide out?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Round here bus stops , well the ones in town anyway, have very high built up kerbs.

Give or take 30 degrees, probably. No use to stand a bike up, though.

Do buses near you not have ramps that flip or slide out?

Not that I've noticed. When stopped the front suspension can drop and leave the entrance level with the raised kerb. My guess is they have air suspension.

This sort of thing in big places.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.76348 ... 312!8i6656

In villages it's more like this - not even a sign. The bus timetables just say Church for that village.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.83689 ... 312!8i6656
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Any views on getting a click stand?

http://www.click-stand.com

I’ve never used a stand but my bike is sometimes on the floor when touring due to lack of places to put it. Concerned this could be extra noticeable as a problem in Kansas etc I do stop quite often! I can’t see myself using it in towns as no doubt local youth would be highly amused at removing it.
Graham

Post by Graham »

MrsHJ wrote:Any views on getting a click stand?

Try the search box ( top right ). Use "click-stand" as the search term. [ Note the double quotes. ]

Plenty of post to research.