Be Nice Say Hi

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Be Nice Say Hi

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Nur Mittelmaessige sind immer in Hochstform (German again)
Only mediocre people are always on top form
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Phil Fouracre wrote:+1 Cunobelin! I know, when I drive to work tomorrow I’ll wave at all the other drivers, that will confuse them :-)

Get some o' them gloves to wave with. It will frighten the life out of those other drivers. Of course, they may have the gloves too, in which case you may be the one wondering if you are going to be the wife of a circus owner of ill repute.

I have seen other drivers waving at me. There is the one finger wave and also the two. There's another which involves a fist beginning at the forehead then moving forward in a sort of heil salute. Not to forget the closed fist reciprocation wave, mind. :-)

Cugel, wave collector
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cugel wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I find a certain level of arrogance and self important "me" in these articles.

I am sorry if having just slogged up a hill with my arthritic knees and am not jolly enough for you

Do you really have the right to demand a jolly response?

I will demand one anyway, just to annoy you. I enjoy annoying the un-jolly and know that they too are secretly enjoying the experience as they have the paradoxical condition, "I'm only happy when I'm unhappy".

In truth I have this same condition although it expresses not so much in a frown or other rejective gurn but in a happy smile as I emit some degree of verbal poke. I am hoping for an argument, see. after which I will feel that glow of unhappiness at having lost it.

After all, we can only be truly happy or jolly when we have experienced the opposite phases. When "happy" is normal, this generally means one is oblivious to the condition and it's pleasant feelings, as they are unvarying and thus unremarkable.

Cugel, enjoying every emotion, one way or another.

Reminds me of an old Navy trick to annoy Officers

There is a tradition, nay requirement to salute Officers.

So you could have fun...

Officer approaching, so you spread out and pass singly... with a large enough group, spaced properly you could force them into multiple salutes!

Take a local group of forty or fifty and cycle past Cugel at 30 m intervals!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I smile and wave a lot, but my new gloves have highly efficient reflective markings along the length only of the middle finger.
Was this article aimed at me?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

On single track roads which I use a lot it is customary to give a wave tho’ often this is just a raised finger in a friendly fashion. When away from home I find mixed reactions. Some just ignore me as an old bloke on a funny bike but most respond positively.
On forestry roads many tourists react with horror at being greeted and have no idea how to react. As another poster said they seem to think I am a potential axe murderer. They are obviously townies who routinely ignore everybody.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

In 'our village' it was once normal to say hello to everyone but not so much now, once I did try saying hello to a lot of people in a very big City and I scared the poor buggers to death! when it comes to horse riders around here we even chat, now there's a thing for you!

Pat
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Patrickpioneer wrote:In 'our village' it was once normal to say hello to everyone but not so much now, once I did try saying hello to a lot of people in a very big City and I scared the poor buggers to death! when it comes to horse riders around here we even chat, now there's a thing for you!

Pat

I love talking to strangers, on the train or when asking the way

The German is a troublesome fellow, he suddenly pulls a poem from his pocket and tries to start a discussion about philosophy
The Welshwoman is a troublesome lass, she suddenly pulls a songbook from her pocket and starts to sing to the tune of Rhosymedre :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:In 'our village' it was once normal to say hello to everyone but not so much now, once I did try saying hello to a lot of people in a very big City and I scared the poor buggers to death! when it comes to horse riders around here we even chat, now there's a thing for you!

Pat

I love talking to strangers, on the train or when asking the way

The German is a troublesome fellow, he suddenly pulls a poem from his pocket and tries to start a discussion about philosophy
The Welshwoman is a troublesome lass, she suddenly pulls a songbook from her pocket and starts to sing to the tune of Rhosymedre :wink:

Geordie grans on the Metro are the worst! Within 10 minutes of sitting near them, they have your whole life story out of you. Within the next 10 minutes, you have theirs! Meanwhile, gnarled old blokes in cloth caps have been listening-in then joining the conversation. Soon there are hot arguments about many things, punctuated with guffaws, hoots and yelps of laughter, often with a mocking overtone.

When Newcastle or Whitley Bay is reached, everyone says tarra with a smile and perhaps a hug or two. (Geordies are a bit touchy-feely - not that sort of touch- feely). If you like, you can get back on for a return and a similar experience with another pair of grans and a flat-capper or two.

Cugel, now fond of long conversations with Welsh farming folk, often down some lost lane whilst waiting on the bike for the cows to move.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Rcartes

Post by Rcartes »

When I first started to commute by bike in London, in 1978 (I know it's a long time ago, but we even had pneumatic tyres then!), there were so few of us that everyone acknowledged each other. But now there are so many on the road it just doesn't happen any more.

And don't get me started on the way some riders cut through on the inside, without any warning, when you're trying to 'take the road.'
"....And Umpire Bucknor's trousers are filling with the wind." - Jonathan Agnew, TMS, November 2006.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember being at a reception, and a rather pompous guy (retired naval officer)came across and remonstrated because I had not greeted him across the room.

I apologised, and he then continued that he knew me from somewhere, but could not place Ime, I simply said that I would d rather not say...

He then decided that it must have been in his Naval Career and I must have been a "defaulter" and wanted to know what my "crime" was, again I stated that I would rather not say.

After a few minutes of this, I asked him to come to one side, whispered a few words... and he left red faced.

My friends wanted to know what I had said, but I wouldn't answer

What I had said was...... "It was about 3 months ago, I put the tube in your rear end for a Barium Enema, and did not think that you would want me to announce that in public"