Driving at night

squeaker

Driving at night

Post by squeaker »

Further confirmation that it's 'OK' to drive 'blind' at night :evil:
Giving evidence, Mr Gonall told he "simply didn't have time to react" before spotting an "object" in the road.
Sussex Police forensic collision investigator Julian Taylor said the size of the vehicle meant speed would make little difference and it would have been hard for any driver to avoid the crash.
"42"
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Driving at night

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Don't look homemade to me. Afterthought.
Admits speeding.

Did he see her?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Where does it say he was driving blind?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Where does it say he was driving blind?

How would you prefer to describe driving so you cannot stop within what you can see to be clear?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Given that ECE dipped headlamps have a prescribed minimum dip for the two allowed height ranges, and a sharp cutoff:
presuming a certain fraction of visible human needed to recognise, plus margin, surely government should being able to publish tables of maximum speed against dipped beam range/ headlamp setups.

Surely 40mph is always too fast for dipped lamps in the absence of other light sources?

Should their be a blanket nighttime speed limit irrespective of signs?

Vehicles with only dipped headlamps fitted are limited to 25mph which seems a recognition of the problem....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:

How would you prefer to describe driving so you cannot stop within what you can see to be clear?

That is something you and I try to do, but at night your eyes can play tricks on you and you can think you are seeing a clear road ahead when in fact it isn't.

I haven't read the link yet so I'm not making that excuse for this particular case. I'll look at it later.
pwa

Post by pwa »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Given that ECE dipped headlamps have a prescribed minimum dip for the two allowed height ranges, and a sharp cutoff:
presuming a certain fraction of visible human needed to recognise, plus margin, surely government should being able to publish tables of maximum speed against dipped beam range/ headlamp setups.

Surely 40mph is always too fast for dipped lamps in the absence of other light sources?

Vehicles with only dipped headlamps fitted are limited to 25mph which seems a recognition of the problem....
A reduced speed limit after dark seems like a good idea to me. I suppose the problem is, one person's idea of dark is different to another's, so when exactly the limit changes could be contentious.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:

No, you're right (it's why I was asking the question), I had read it on a phone and now I read it on a full-sized screen it's clear he is completely liable and should be banned, perhaps jailed, also the following car, which also ran over her The Accident Investigator's views need scrutiny, too, clearly, as the conclusions drawn are at variance with the evidence.

I had read the report on a phone and has interpreted that she had fallen in front of the vehicle, but in fact seems to have been lying in the roadway at the time.

ETA
What's the liability of the event organisers, too? If they had applied to reduce the speed limit, then they presumably foresaw a risk, and had clearly failed to put in place effective measures to sufficiently mitigate the risk as someone was killed.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 30 Nov 2018, 12:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:Given that ECE dipped headlamps have a prescribed minimum dip for the two allowed height ranges, and a sharp cutoff:

A reduced speed limit after dark seems like a good idea to me. I suppose the problem is, one person's idea of dark is different to another's, so when exactly the limit changes could be contentious.

Just reduce every speed limit at all times and avoid any ambiguity.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:

Or increase penalties for speed offences committed after dark. Three points in daylight, six after dark. That might get a message home. I drive slower at night for my own safety, even before considering my responsibilities to others. To me the dark makes it feel less safe. Instinct tells me to go slower.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:A reduced speed limit after dark seems like a good idea to me. I suppose the problem is, one person's idea of dark is different to another's, so when exactly the limit changes could be contentious.

Or increase penalties for speed offences committed after dark. Three points in daylight, six after dark. That might get a message home. I drive slower at night for my own safety, even before considering my responsibilities to others. To me the dark makes it feel less safe. Instinct tells me to go slower.

Are people's lives more important after dark? Increase all penalties universally to avoid ambiguity.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Just reduce every speed limit at all times and avoid any ambiguity.

Are people's lives more important after dark? Increase all penalties universally to avoid ambiguity.

What you can see clearly is different after dark. Obviously. So I reduce my speed. On a bit of 60mph road I normally do 50 on, after dark I find myself at more like 40. I think that is a correct response to darkness. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4447871 ... 6?hl=en-GB
This bit of road. At this point you get to see down the road a bit so your speed can increase, to 50 in daylight or more like 40 in darkness, slowing as you get to the corners ahead.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:

What you can see clearly is different after dark. Obviously. So I reduce my speed. On a bit of 60mph road I normally do 50 on, after dark I find myself at more like 40. I think that is a correct response to darkness. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4447871 ... 6?hl=en-GB
This bit of road. At this point you get to see down the road a bit so your speed can increase, to 50 in daylight or more like 40 in darkness, slowing as you get to the corners ahead.

I too can see less after dark, but let's not get into definitions of 'dark', let's just deal with the penalties.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

squeaker wrote:Further confirmation that it's 'OK' to drive 'blind' at night :evil:
Giving evidence, Mr Gonall told he "simply didn't have time to react" before spotting an "object" in the road.
Sussex Police forensic collision investigator Julian Taylor said the size of the vehicle meant speed would make little difference and it would have been hard for any driver to avoid the crash.

I fear we are going to get more and more of this type of thing: police investigate a fatal crash and decide - possibly with the advice of the CPS - that the driving was more or less ok by current standards so no prosecution. There's an inquest where the verdict cannot accuse anybody, but the police have to rationalise their decision. They can't say "Anything goes, these days" so they appear to end up defending bad driving. This case is a bit blurred because the casualty was drunk but that shouldn't lower the standard of driving expected of the driver. We seem to have reached the point where it's ok for drivers to assume the road ahead will always be clear and if it isn't that's not the driver's .. er .. lookout.

On the matter of speed in this case, I think the officer was suggesting that as the vehicle was so large, a collision (being run over?) would inevitably kill a pedestrian whatever the speed. I don't think he meant that the crash could have been avoided by driving more slowly, or rather, I hope he didn't, but it's a downward spiral.

I fear it's going to get worse.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It would have been easy in this case to slow down the motrons by parking a few vehicles on the road

Plus One for lower maximum speed limits
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies