Dismount on Cycle Path

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cube Rider

Dismount on Cycle Path

Post by Cube Rider »

Photo of the month in Dec 2018/ Jan2019 issue of the 'Cycle' magazine shows on Route 51 a sign saying Cyclist please walk with text suggesting this could be a joke for foreign visitors?

Route 55 passes through the centre and along side the river Sow of Stafford my home town where signs suggesting cyclists dismount presumably for the low river bridges? See attached picture.
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
gaz

Re: Dismount on Cycle Path

Post by gaz »

This pair had long been favourites of mine.

Took about five years to persuade the local authority to take them down.

Here's another nonsense pair. Give me another five years and they'll be gone too :wink: .
rjb

Post by rjb »

gaz wrote:Here's[/url] another nonsense pair. Give me another five years and they'll be gone too :wink: .

5 Years, surely that only 5 minutes work with a spanner. Are you putting them up in your garage. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The CYCLISTS DISMOUNT sign must be one of the most controversial there is and generally it's just highwaymen's shorthand for "I am utterly incompetent." We have had plenty of examples on here. However, if there's an otherwise useful route already in existence somewhere like a river bank or a canal towpath then it might be a bit OTT to shun the route as a whole, just because of a low bridge. Afaik, there's no official sign saying "cyclists mind your head" and the normal low bridge sign might be considered unclear. The message that cyclists may be physically unable to ride under it safely is the same no matter how it is signed. My own main concern would be that a route with such obstructions should not be considered justification for diverting riders from the nearby road network.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Why not just put up a low bridge sign like this one at Somerset Bridge on the outskirts of Bridgwater.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.11605 ... 6656?hl=en

and if you are a railway buff heres an interesting guide to Brunells original railway crossing which had a span of 100 feet but the arch was only 12 foot high. Much shallower then the now famous Maidenhead bridge, :wink:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Somerset_Bridge
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
JJF

Post by JJF »

Harlow in Essex could at one time claim the prize for Cyclist Dismount signs. See Warrington Cycle Campaign Facility of the month September 2007. (Sorry, I don't know how to create a link for it ).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JJF wrote:Harlow in Essex could at one time claim the prize for Cyclist Dismount signs. See Warrington Cycle Campaign Facility of the month September 2007. (Sorry, I don't know how to create a link for it ).

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.u ... er2007.htm
drossall

Post by drossall »

ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Someone told me that these blue signs are advisory, not compulsory. Is that so, or could we get stopped and charged for ignoring them?
Chris F, Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, that's right. Maybe if there were an accident you could be held at fault for not obeying (even if the advice seemed unreasonable)?

In any case, they stopped being an issue in most parts of the country during late 2007, because Harlow had used the entire national supply on one short stretch of road :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ChrisF wrote:Someone told me that these blue signs are advisory, not compulsory. Is that so, or could we get stopped and charged for ignoring them?

The signs are advisory but I think they might be used somewhere like the end of some form of permitted pavement cycling where it continued as a normal footway where cycling would be illegal. At a location like that, the ticket woldn't be for ignoring the sign but for riding on the footway (or rather driving a carriage etc.)
=====================================================================================
PS This is the type of thing I had in mind although they have used END OF CYCLE ROUTE and what I think is a wrongly place NO CYCLING sign.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.69007 ... 312!8i6656
Last edited by thirdcrank on 1 Dec 2018, 10:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

drossall wrote:Like this

There is a similar collection is dismount signs by the A5 north of Shrewsbury
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

They are advisory.

Occasionally they are put up at the whim of some well intentioned but ultimately misguided highwayman at locations where there is not a legal right to continue cycling. Occasionally they are put up strictly in accordance with the regulations for their use, i.e. at locations where it is legal to continue cycling. It's possible to commit a cycling offence in a place where you can legally cycle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I know a bridge on a cycle route where they've put "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" but while it's simple and perfectly possible to ride across, if you dismount, then the track over the bridge is so narrow that most adults can only cross by doing some contortion like pushing the bike from behind it, leaning forwards in a near-superman stance!

I don't remember ever seeing those signs used in a place where they made sense. Usually they seem to be used exactly where you don't want cyclists wider and slower.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Attachments
SAM_1087_aa.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.