Damaged cycling clothing, do you throw or repair?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martinn

Damaged cycling clothing, do you throw or repair?

Post by martinn »

Hi All,

when (if for some people), you have an accident and you rip/ tear an expensive piece of cycle clothing do you repair it, and if so how?

I have a couple of jerseys which are ripped, and a couple of Lycra bib shorts which have tears in them.
Looking online, there is not much help, I cant find anyone who does repairs, a few people seem to do alterations, but most specify no accident repairs.
There is a video of a chap repairing his Lycra bib shorts with a neoprene iron on patch, and I am aware that you can theoretically sew Lycra using a ball point needle. But what works?
I have looked to see if i can find someone local to me who might do swimwear/ gym wear or dance wear alterations/ repairs, as this is Lycra but no luck, so what do people do, does it end up in the bin?
(I'm in Bristol if anyone has any local recommendations)

Many thanks

Martin
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Damaged cycling clothing, do you throw or repair?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sewed up gloves, patched cycle top (bit of a mess if you look to closely) duct tape on inside of water proof jacket and been through washing machine several times the tape is still stuck :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I've stitched up small tears in bib shorts, and jerseys. I use the same needle and thread I use for darning socks. Either black or white cotton or wool thread.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:duct tape on inside of water proof jacket and been through washing machine several times the tape is still stuck :)

That's the best tip I've ever read on this forum!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
All cycling stuff including water proof stuff I wash on 30 delicates of course, and hand wash fluid.
My jacket is a cheap waterproof 100 gram affair, glossy interior so it sticks well.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've used duct tape inside clothing as a repair but it does come adrift after a couple of wash's. I now sew it in - a belt and braces repair. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I wash on 30 delicates of course, and hand wash fluid.

Going well off topic the instructions for our new washing machine say do not use hand wash liquids as they produce too much lather :(
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Grandad wrote:

Going well off topic the instructions for our new washing machine say do not use hand wash liquids as they produce too much lather :(

Not on a hand wash cycle, hardly any agitation at all.

I have had too much suds a few times on 30 delicates :P , normally it is too much fluid as I have not allowed for manually applying fluid to smelly areas :) prior to placing clothes in machine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've stitched up gloves when the stitching has come undone, one repair was so good I had to look very carefully several times to find the repair.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

A tip for broken or ratty zips on winter or training tights. You only really need a small opening to get your foot through. I take a needle and thread and stitch below the damaged part with maybe a dozen or so cross stitches. Hey presto you have a new zip (albeit a slightly shorter one) this has saved me replacing two very expensive pairs of bib tights which I would normally have binned!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I binned some bib tights last week, only cheap Aldi or Lidl ones, I didn't like them much anyway, they broke in the wash, one of the 'braces', the strap over my shoulder, had been ripped off at the top of the bib, I assume there had been a big tangle of laundry in the machine that wound tighter and tighter until it snapped. Has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions on how to prevent it? I use mesh bags for small delicate items but not sure they make them big enough for bib tights to fit in. I'm glad they weren't more expensive. Also don't fancy having to wash them separately in future. Had I liked them or had spent more on them I probably would have tried to repair them, one strap going mid ride wouldn't matter too much would it?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

It all depends on the damage. We have a local seamstress that makes wedding dresses etc., quite a bit of stuff has been taken to her for repair, including zips and alterations as she has fancy machines that cope with sewing lycra.

My son, a couple of years ago, came off on diesel wearing his brand new kit. He had insisted on wearing brand new shorts under winter longs despite the fact I had advised him against (mum knows best :lol: ) Friction caused the shorts to be damaged but not the tights (another reason for wearing old shorts as padding under winter tights). I did get them repaired initially but continued use has caused stitching to come adrift again. He has finally seen sense and does not wear them as summer shorts but only 'winter under bib tight shorts'.

I would suggest looking at Nopinz
https://www.nopinz.com/product-category ... terations/

Who do a variety of repairs.

It would depend on the damage and the cost of the item. Rapha also do repairs to their own kit... (that's if they survive financial woes).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Grandad wrote:

The 'Delicates hand wash' I use ( Morrison’s own brand) says suitable for machines. There appears to be no more lather than any other product. Never seen a problem.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Bin it.
I just don't see they point of trying to repair Lycra.It always looks bad.
Not just cycling clothing either,any clothing/shoes etc.If it rips/tears or gets a hole in it the item gets replaced.
The only exception is baselayers.When they get holes in I use them for work.

LinusR wrote:I've stitched up small tears in bib shorts, and jerseys. I use the same needle and thread I use for darning socks. Either black or white cotton or wool thread.

I'm quite shocked that people still do this.My gran used to many moons ago.Socks?really?They cost next to nowt!?
horizon

Post by horizon »

100%JR wrote:Bin it.

And then it goes .....

Further elaboration appreciated here. :)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher